1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

greening of the church pt5

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    On page 39 Mr.Edge continues;
    this is where some might disagree with him....

What does it mean to be the people of God!It is a people called to a mission and called to a ministry.This is what God is about,and this is what he calls us to be about. This means that the primary responsibility for God's ministry in the world is the responsibility of the laity and not the clergy.

****The primary responsibilityfor doing God's workin any given time and placerests upon the shoulders of the congregation-The People of God-rather than upon the church staff. this is a revolutionary concept which the majority simply do notbelieve and certainly do not practice*****

What do you think?

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I've just come across your threads on this, Iconoclast, but I couldn't find "Part 1". I wanted to do so to see if it gave an indication of what is meant by "greening" in this context, because none of the three definitions I found in my dictionary seems to fit (an apple that is green when ripe, the process of planting trees and other vegetation in an area, the process of becoming more aware of environmental issues).

I also came across this at a Lutheran site:
    Each year there is a custom that takes place in the first week of Advent. I call it the greening of the church. It includes, among other things the decorating of the church with greens, ribbons, banners, and of course placing a Christmas tree in an obvious spot.
    That seems to fit even less than the dictionary definitions of "greening". Help!! :confused:

#2 David Lamb, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2011
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    David.
    He uses the term in reference to renewing the church. He wrote this 40 years ago...
    this was when I first mentioned it...and the general idea of the book
    1] the church can and must be renewed

2]The basic problem he saw in todays church is personal and spiritual

3]Christians are called to be God's people in our time.

4]We must recapture the balance between evangelism andsocial involvement

5]Positive ,creative proposals are vital if the church is to change from what it is to what it ought to become.

As baptists we say we believe in the priesthood of all believers.
    It what sense do you see yourself functioning as a priest if at all?
    Where do you carryout this function?
    Good posts so far....
    Listen...I picked up a book at a second hand store for 1 dollar called the greening of the church.It was written in 1970 by a sbc theologian named Findley Edge who wrote often on the subject of local churches.
    What he lays out in this book is;
    Israel was called out by God in the first Exodus to be;

Quote:
    4Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.

5Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

He then shows that more or less when Jesus comes He tells them ...you failed to bring forth fruit! The two parables in MT 21 are used to establish this. [the two sons, the vineyard]

Quote:
    28But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.

29He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.

30And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.

31Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Quote:
    43Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

He then shows that In Jesus {the New Exodus} we are described in exactly the same language 1 Pet2:9

Quote:
    9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

10Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

11Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

12Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.

So..... then he says the church has been looking to the wrong people{clergy} in the wrong place{church} to accomplish His Mission in the world.
    God's mission in the world is redemptive in nature...so he makes the point that we are not {only} called to salvation as wonderful as that is.
    But we are called to Mission as believer priests to intercede for the world and bring saving truth to them.
    I am currently going through Deuteronomy ,and the other parables to look for clear words from God on what it means to count the cost,in this way of bearing fruit, with a view to better use my time to do what God has called for.
    Old copies of this book were available on the used book site called Alibris if it interests anyone

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?mt...s.x=19&hs.y=16
    ....I might not agree with all of Mr.Edges theology or ideas, but there was substantial agreement on most of what I have read in there so far.

David...this was from my first installment.. I will be adding a few more

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    David'
    On page 21 Mr. Edge had noticed this in the churches;
    1] one group of people see nothing wrong...the church is just fine, doing what it needs to do.

2] the second group simply do not want to change

3]The third group presents a more serious problem;This is the group to whom the call of God presents a serious threat!

a] These people already ;
    have all the religion they want
    b] They believe in God;
    in a measure
    c]They are faithful to the church
    up to a point
    d]They try to do good to their fellow man:
    in general
    e] their religion is under control:
    They do not believe a man ought too be a religious fanatic
    f] he ought to take his religion seriously,
    but not too seriously

He was baptized as a baby and later confirmed. or he made a profession of faith

Satisifed with what he is doing, he is determined not to do anything else.

Totally commited christians come among them and they think they are fanatical.

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks very much Iconoclast. I understand what is meant by the "greeening" of the church now - nothing to do with the church becoming too involved in ecology!

Before I was converted (about 40 years ago now), I was very much like the people described in your (3). I believed I had all the religion they wanted/needed. I believed in God; I was faithful to "the church" (i.e. the parish church of the Church of England); I tried to do good to my fellow man; I believed that my religion was under control; I did not believe a man ought to be a religious fanatic (I still don't, but the difference is I have been brought to see that biblical Christianity is not fanaticism); I thought I ought to take religion seriously, but not too seriously.

I was baptized as a baby (though now I tend to say "I was christened", to save confusion with my real baptism, by immersion as a believer), and later confirmed.

When a friend at school told me about trusting the Lord Jesus Christ as the only way of going to heaven, I thought at first that he was a fanatic, but God graciously showed me my error!

Thanks again.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    David,
    God has been good to us for sure. I am not certain about the author Findley Edge, as far as all his views on all things. I posted these things because I enjoyed the ideas in the book, even though i am sure some would find some fault in his observations...i thought this would be thought provoking.

he says{40yrs ago} the church has been going about Mt28 wrong, in that we look to the clergy instead of the laity...who go out into the world.

Some oppose this idea , saying that only ordained pastors are to preach the word. I do not think it has to either or, but both and.