1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greenville Observations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spent a week in Greenville and the BJU campus in particular in October . I thought I would make some comments regarding the same .

By far the most popular Bible translation on campus is the ESV . The students may own a KJV , NKJ or NASU , but that's not what they carried around or studied from . I met one young man going for his Master's degree who used the TNIV . In the campus bookstore the KJ Version outnumbers the other versions by a wide margin . The next most prominent version is the NKJ followed by the NASU . The ESV is the version least present on the shelves . There are no HCS Bibles . That is surprising to me . It is conservative and evangelical .

My estimate regarding the nature of the literature in the bookstore is that Reformed-oriented books constituted almost 70 percent of the shelf space .

I went to services at Mount Calvary Church with pastor Mark Minnich . A faculty member of BJU who is also a member of MC said the church is nicknamed Mount Calvinist by some . He told me the mens' Sunday School class is going through A.W. Pink's book " Profiting From The Word " . The bookstore carries about 95 percent Calvinistic works im my estimation . You'll not find a Sword of the Lord or other typically Fundamentalist publication there . Encouraging signs ( from my perspective ) .

More observations at a later time .

2. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

This is a big suprise to me. Many of the IFB colleges do not propogate their Calvinist stances openly, this I do not understand. I went to a Christian camp where the majority of workers were from BJU and Maranatha Christian College, yet not once did any hints of Reformed doctrine spring up!

This is an encouragement to me though, I had no idea that one of the major IFB colleges was Reformed. :)

P.S. Am I one of the only ones who had BJU caricatured as a KJVO, legalistic school?

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't get too excited... he didn't say that he'd seen public hand holding...:smilewinkgrin: