1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Group plans launch of 'non-traditional' theology school

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Baptist Believer, Jul 5, 2003.

1. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

First of all, what are "traditional Baptists"? Are they fundamentalists?
    I would say Mainline Baptists not fundamentalists with a capital F. Scotty Gray was vice President at Southwestern Seminary.
    Let's sit back and see what this institute has to offer first!!!!

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do too. I don’t know much about it, but I’ll try to answer according to what I know.

From what I gather (and knowing some of the people involved in this project), “traditional Baptist” means a person who is generally like the mainstream of BGCT Baptists – conservative in theology but ranging anywhere from fundamentalist to moderate in applied ministry. The thing they probably have in common is a dislike of the current situation in the SBC and the 2000 BF&M.

I don’t know. It is at least a “distance learning” approach. The distance learning approach has been studied by various people in this group for about 8 or 9 years. The advances in video streaming, internet bandwidth, and the development of distance learning techniques had now made this approach feasible.

It is my hope that this approach will also be a break from the traditional seminary experience and oriented toward ministry to post-moderns. I plan to have lunch this week with a person whom I believe is heavily involved in this planned seminary (although they have not directly said as much publicly) and discuss this – if he’s not involved, I’m certain he’s “in the loop”.

Until 2001, Gray was the “vice president for academic administration” at Southwestern Seminary in Fort Worth. He is very conservative and a dedicated Baptist.

I was “in the loop” when the formation of a new seminary in the Metroplex was being discussed shortly after the Dilday firing at Southwestern back in 1994. Many ideas were discussed and this type of seminary structure seemed to be the most popular idea. At the time, the rapid development of the program at Truett Seminary at Baylor and the continued expansion of the seminary at Hardin-Simmons took much of the urgency away from the project. Through the past eight years it seems that the idea has been refined and donors have caught the vision and come forward with the funding.

Not as much as most people probably think. Certainly it is another attempt to provide alternatives for theological education, but it is more than that. I understand it to be an attempt to address the weaknesses of a traditional seminary education and provide opportunities for people across to the world to receive a theological education without having to physically move away from their home country, state or neighborhood.

Not if it were a traditional school. But I think this approach (as far as I understand it) is urgently needed. There’s a very good chance that I might actually take a few classes myself.

Yep. You and me both! [​IMG]

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waiting with great anticipation! [​IMG]

4. Alain

Alain New Member

I like the idea (or at least what I know so far) as far as the format is concerned (I don't know about their theological orientation)

Traditional seminary education as well as traditional scholarship is failing the Church
    (I should know, I am in seminary)

Traditional seminary education can be a challenge to one's faith and does not always make one more spiritual at the end of the Journey

I do not blame traditional seminaries for the lack of intellectual training (some seminaries could do better but overall one can be well equipped intellectually)

What I have against traditional seminary education is that it fails to equip the future minister (or even scholar) where it matters the most: spiritually

The "success" in ministry is primarily determined by the spiritual state of the servant of God not his intellectual capacity. the academic knowledge is useful and good do not get me wrong (I love to study and consider the library to be one of my favorite hangouts...shame, shame) but it is not what is more important

it is that love for the Lord and fellow humans, that passion for the things of God, the display of the fruit of the Spirit, the zeal for the word of God and His will that is the common thread among all the Great men and women of God in Scriptures...some like Paul were educated others like Peter were not

I am afraid that the only thing seminary is teaching me to do in that department is how to fake it and say the right thing (ok , it is not always that bad)

How many of us have confused reading a theology book or exegetical commentary with spending time with God?

How many of us have looked at a “devotional” commentary with disdain and picked up the exegetical one for its greater “insight”

Have you ever wondered why the qualifications of scholars who write our textbooks are purely academic (what degrees and where) and seldom spiritual (as in how is you walk with God)
    In addition, we imagine that spirituality (or the lack thereof) does not transpire in the work of our esteemed scholars

We should do our best with our academic training and strive to be scholars but we should not forget what is more important, to know God intimately and walk in the Spirit

I do not see the actual trends really changing but I am afraid that for some reasons the more academic a seminary becomes, the more the spiritual aspect takes the back seat

The reason why I like the idea of a non –traditional institution is that it could provide the necessary and close link with the local church and its realities

It could make scholarship for the sake of scholarship difficult, and could force the institution to set its purpose on first equipping the Christian for the work of the ministry and Christian living

Goals that are the purpose of Scriptures and should be the ultimate purpose of Scholarship about Scriptures

It also allows the members of the Church to benefit from the education; more “regular” Christian will be able to take classes or attend in-Church seminars; this goes in the direction of fighting the biblical illiteracy that plagues the Church
    Theological education should not be the monopoly of a select few but should be the goal of all Christians since we are all called to know God

It also redirects the curriculum from primarily a reaction to what is going on in academia (dialogue with and or refutation of liberal theology and other scholarly “tasks”) to addressing the needs of the body without forgetting issues addressed in academia

Your thoughts?

In Christ

Alain

5. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

The faith that we have which is experientially distinct from the scripture will not contradict the presentation of Christ found in the scriptures.</font>[/QUOTE]BaptistBeliever,

You did not answer the question which was, "What do we know of Jesus that we do not find substantiated in "the book?" It is not enough to say that our experience will not contradict the Scriptural presentation of Christ. The Scriptures must substantiate every thing we believe about Christ.

For example, you might conclude in your experience that Jesus had curly hair. There is nothing in Scriptures that contradicts this, but neither is there any Scriptural reason to believe it is so.

So I ask of you, what has Jesus personally revealed to you that is not substantiated in the Book? What did you learn about Jesus without, to use your own words, "the aid of the Scriptures."

What do "fundamentalists" profess to believe that contradicts or stifles an experiential relationship with Christ?

For the record, the so called "moderate" position in fact does contradict the Scriptures in many cases. For example, some "moderates" teach that sodomy is no sin when the Scripture says it is. Also, some "moderate" women claim that the Lord called the to be pastors when the Bible presents Jesus as forbidding women to speak in the church.

Mark Osgatharp

[ July 08, 2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Mark Osgatharp ]

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The faith that we have which is experientially distinct from the scripture will not contradict the presentation of Christ found in the scriptures. </font>[/QUOTE]You did not answer the question which was, "What do we know of Jesus that we do not find substantiated in "the book?" </font>[/QUOTE]Nope, I did and you’ve quoted it. Apparently you don’t like my answer, but that certainly doesn’t mean that I didn’t answer it. [​IMG]

I did not say anything contradictory to that statement.

You are twisting my words. I said, “I’m not advocating that our faith experience is divorced from the teachings of the Bible, but I am making a distinction between someone who knows about Jesus from the scriptures and the person who knows Jesus experientially with or without the aid of the scriptures.”

I am not claiming that a person can know additional revelation not found in the Bible – I’m pointing out that there is a difference between those who know about Christ and those who know Christ. I also pointed out that faith in Christ can occur with or without the scriptures. (Certainly it is much better to have the scriptures!)

I believe that many fundamentalists are die-hard rationalists – building a house-of-cards theology that is obsessed with a quest for certainty. In many cases it seems that fundamentalists focus on the Bible instead of focusing on Christ through the Bible and mistake obedience to rules for obedience to Christ. There are many exceptions of course, but I believe the general perception is valid.

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if this new institution will be anything like the Leland Center in the Washington,DC, area.

8. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Not familiar with Leland Center, so what does this comment mean?

9. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Leland Center was opened in the late 90's in Northern Virginia as an "alternative" training program for ministers. It is not, however, associated with CBF.

10. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

BaptistBeliever,

I have started a new thread in the "General Baptist Discussions" forum since the things we were discussing have really gone beyond the scope of this forum.

Mark Osgatharp