1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Guns and the Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Twin Reverb, Feb 25, 2016.

?

Guns In The Church?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2017.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are understanding the word "toys" in the wrong sense. We Americans often use that word to refer things we have and use for recreational purposes. "Toys" can refer to 4 Wheel Drive Vehicles that we use to drive over rough terrain or mud, it can refer to weapons that we use for target practice and for competition, it can refer to boats that we use for skiing or fishing etc.

What was not intended by the use of the word "toy" was an item that a child would use for entertainment. Just because we refer to guns as toys does not mean they are treated in a careless or cavalier manner.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Texas.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH, those Founding Fathers... What were they thinking!?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

To the astonishment of the entire world.

HankD

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Salty - he's not afraid of homicides. He's afraid of guns.

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a well known fact that guns don't kill people.

This is, I think, best illustrated in the question, "If guns kill people, does this mean pencils misspell words?"

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of my guns must be defective. None of them ever hurt anyone! Do you think I can get a refund? :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is. Rolleyes
    In Britain in 2012 there were 530 murders, which is appalling. Britain has about one fifth the population of the USA, so to get a comparison you need to multiply by 5, making 2,650.
    The best figure I could get on line for the USA is 13,500 which is one Vietnam every four years or so. The fact that the murder rate is worse in various banana republics does not make the USA figure either more or less.
    Britain is not a more righteous nation than the USA, far from it! Other crime stats in Britain are awful. If guns were readily available in Britain our murder rate would be sky-high. But, praise God, they aren't.

Brothers, it's your country. You do what you want. I merely point these things out. I truly hope that your sons or daughters aren't the next people to get blasted by some nutcase on a University campus.

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think our crime is a direct result of a general departure from God. The solution is not, in my view, a gun restriction, because other weapons would simply be substituted.

But you left off my quote, which is true: guns kill people no more than pencils misspell words.

Stats can be manipulated to present particular bias. I seldom consider these wise means of presenting a case for anything.

And I find some of these figures amazing.
    Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and injuries annually.[1] According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) [2] and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000),[3] 21,175 by suicide with a firearm,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm,[4] and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent"[5] for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.[1][6]

(the quote is the link)

I did look at some crime stats and one showed the US as 16% higher than the UK. Not a great margin, which I think points to the fact that people are going to commit crime...anyway.

But as far as guns go, this is just something viewed as not only a right, but a necessity for the purpose that our Government not be the only ones with guns, lol.

The simple fact is that whether or not citizens retain the right to own guns, it is a certainty that criminals are going to have theirs. They have them now when they are not supposed to.

Again, I do not put a lot of stock in stats, but found this:

Crime and Guns
    Basic to the debates on gun control is the fact that most violent crime is committed by repeat offenders. Dealing with recidivism is key to solving violence.

Whether the stats above are true or not, I doubt anyone will argue that those who murder using firearms are criminals, right?

My hope is that there will be someone there who is armed who can put the person down. If I am not mistaken, policy prohibits guns from being in school zones, so the only ones who have guns are the criminals.

Another interesting fact that not many people know is that most of the shooters in mass shootings are on some form of psych med.

So personally I am against the thought that the right to own guns is the reason for murder. Those of murderous intent are going to kill their intended victim one way or the other.

Pencils just don't misspell words.

What is the difference between those who own guns who handle them responsibly and those who misuse them? Again, should everyone suffer because of the actions of some.

God bless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read an article that stated we were top- five in the whole world in deaths by guns. HOWEVER, take away Chicago, Nawleans, NYC(I think it is NYC) and DC, we're bottom four. Those four cities have the strictest gun laws in 'Merica.

Gun control puts gun controls in the criminal's hands and makes the law-abiding citizens sitting ducks. I don't quack.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm okay with this plan of action...

God bless.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The entire reason we have the second amendment and cherish gun ownership is because of Britain.

• Like Like x 2
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well doing what we want was decided for our benefit in 1776 in Our Declaration of independence, The Constitution and the Bill of rights. In spite of the crime rate and the 357 million firearms owned by the citizenry here folks are invading our borders and risking life and limb to live here along with their little ones even as illegal aliens.

Come on over Martin and celebrate the unalienable rights we have been endowed with by out Creator.

HankD

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drat! You've seen through my cunning plan. We Brits are just waiting for you to get rid of your guns so that we can come and invade you again.
    I'm looking forward to coming over next year (DV). It will be my second visit. I'm just looking to see where I can buy a bullet-proof jacket before I visit Texas. Roflmao

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do hope so.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well said, HankD.

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my understanding that, during the Second World War, your government's civil disarmament policies left you armed with very little after Dunkirk. When threatened with invasion by Germany, thousands of personally-owned firearms were donated by Americans to be sent to you to use in the defense of your homes. If I remember correctly, the name of the organization that spear-headed the effort was the American Committee for Defense of British Homes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum...or-john-w-hession's-springfield-03-rifle.aspx

When the British army lost most of its arms on the beach at Dunkirk during WWII, John W. Hession was one of many Americans who responded by loaning a rifle for British use.

As this bolt-action Springfield rifle, SN 264631, was Hession's prized competition piece, a gun that had successfully competed in the Olympics, at Bisley Range in England, and in the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio - Hession placed specially engraved plates on the stock denoting its importance. The front plate, which asked for the rifle's return after the defeat of Germany, may be the reason this piece was returned to Hession after the war.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rob, thanks. THAT is where I read about it (American Rifleman)! Too early for me...working on my caffeinated Liquid Sunshine now. Laugh

Ironically, I am sipping an English Breakfast Tea...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the people are armed the government cannot take control. The reason for the second Amendment is to keep a tyrannical government at bay. A lesson well learned after King George.

20. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although the current administration is trying their hardest to strip the citizenry of their 2nd Amendment rights. If Killery or Bernie are elected (heaven forbid) it will be (at least) four more years of the same.

As to the topic of the OP, I know of two individuals that conceal carry at my church. There may be more that I'm not aware of. Thankfully, nothing has ever happened where they have needed to use their guns, but I'm glad that if anything ever were to happen, there are people who will be able to fight / fire back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1