1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Guns Rights Zealots--Shoot Down this Idea

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Dec 23, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One against two works great. Maybe in a high school that size, if there were 5 or 6, there would have been a different outcome.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And quite frankly its not known how aggressive he was.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make a good point. I should have been clearer--I meant to say if a crime is committed with a stolen gun that was not secured, either didn't have a trigger lock or wasn't locked in a case, there would be stiffer penalties. The penalties would work in conjunction and add teeth to the requirement to secure unattended guns. My intention is that unless your guns are in your possession, they should be locked up.

#23 InTheLight, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The link I provided is to a trigger lock with a lighted dial and is named "Speed Release Trigger Lock". I presume it could be removed in a matter of seconds.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

and a mattter of seconds can cost you your life

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with the article. My point is if you are going to leave a gun unattended you should secure it.

In your scenario of a robber entering your house late at night, I have no problem if you choose to not have a trigger lock on it. But if you live with other people that have not been trained in the use of firearms, and you are not at home, I believe that guns should be secured.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is best just to have a gun safe for those with multiple guns.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Plus, pre-Columbine was a different world. It's like pre 9/11. Knowing what we know now, there ARE sick people who will go and kill a bunch of people "just because". So now a shooter is in a school? Anyone armed knows to take them down.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But--I left them secured in my house. The doors were locked, the windows barred. Am I still culpable if someone breaks into my house, searches through the closets, and finds where I hid the weapons?

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

A drill with a good diamond-tipped bit or a hammer and a chisel can dispatch most gun locks and many of the smaller gun safes. Criminals can always steal the gun (or safe), gain access to the weapon, and then use it. How are law-abiding gun owners going to prove that the weapon WAS safed or locked?

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say no, you are not.

Leaving your keys in your vehicle is a crime in many states. So I would guess in these states you likely would be charged with complicity. (I didn't say it was fair!)

Which is exactly what frequently happens when you get a photo radar ticket for speeding when someone else is using your car. (I didn't say it was fair!)

In the case of a stolen weapon being used in a crime, because of these other precedents, I suppose you would have to attempt to prove that the weapons were secure, that you were following the law and then it would be up to a judge or jury to determine your culpability, if any.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Install a hidden video camera

Remember the gun owner is guility until proven innocent

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose the same way they prove other things--eyewitnesses, photographs, receipts.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have openly invited anyone here that feels they want to, come to my house at 2 am, break in and take my guns.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?!!!

What kind do you have? Do you have a 30/30? I am looking for a good one.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got a feeling that you may find out if you tried -------- not necessarily the way you would CHOOSE to find out tho'!!:laugh:

18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

1) Ever hear the saying that locks only keep honest people out? A determined thief will find a way to get what he wants. We generally think of banks, fine museums, and prisons has having the best "locks". Yet, thieves manage to cart off what they want from all these places.

2) As mentioned earlier, a drill (and a vice in the case of a firearm) can make quick work of locks. Unless there's a type of homeowner safe that I don't know about, drills will open them. Rather quietly and rather easily.

3) Gun control advocates are using every means possible to make having a gun useless. Reminds me of OSHA. Some of the rules they put into place made the legimate use of some manufacturing equipment null and void. The machine could not be operated, at all, with the required safeguards in place. Same thing is taking place with firearms, whether addressing "safety" features or the bullets used in them.

4) What's next? (I'm not joking about this, nor trying to be sarcastic.)

Once my guns become useless, what else will I have to secure, behind my locked door, so that a criminal cannot use it to commit another crime, commit suicide, or accidently hurt themselves? Knives, scissors, castiron skillets, ropes, telephone cords, aspirin, matches, butter, pillows, stairways.... well you get the idea. Our homes would be turned into the equivalent of a high security prision cell, with a useless firearm mounted over the, now safe & secure, fireplace.

19. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thieves will find ways around trigger locks. Remember The Club that was supposed to stop auto theft?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you putting forth that those laws are okay, even though you admit they're not fair?