1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gwinnett - Hall Baptist College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Tennessee Trumpet, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Logos1560,

I guess the answer to the would be ,some would and some would'nt. I would'nt go in with an attitude of let me straighten you out. I think leading by example works best. In addition there are many courses of study that can be taught without theology comming into the picture.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

Bill (we've got plenty of Bills around here, don't we? ;)),

With all due respect, and I mean that with the utmost sincerity, I think it is naive to think that a professor is going to go in and lead by example. It typically works from the top down. If the administration doesn't recognize there's a problem in the structure, suppose a professor went in requiring of his students the effort which a bachelor's or master's or doctor's degree requires. I'm afraid there would be such an outcry by the students that he would find his days numbered.

We need to remember that this thread was begun because a new poster going by "Tennessee Trumpet" offered that Gwinnett-Hall is an excellent independent Baptist college. My response was a question of the criteria used to designate it as a quality college. As you have said, there is really not much to go on from the website. My initial question remains unanswered. By what criteria can it be called an excellent college, much less a legitimate degree-offering institution?

This is a personal issue because I experienced extremely poor academics (Hyles-Anderson) and extremely good academics (SBTS). I don't want to see a school promoted for no good reason other than someone said "I said so." I don't want to see some potential student wasted time and money getting an inferior education simply because he or she gets pointed there and the administration assures him that it is a top-notch institution. Most students don't know enough to ask the questions needed. I certainly didn't when I was a young adult. I followed the advice of my pastor who was untrained himself. I went to HAC, stuck it out to get my degree, then discovered that I had received a very poor education. I hope to help others avoid a similar mistake.

You mentioned biblicaltraining.org as a site where on can listen to excellent lectures. You are most correct. If someone does not need to be concerned with a degree, this is a great substitute. Lectures alone are not as good as a course in which one interacts with a prof and writes papers and is tested, but it is a good alternative for those who are seeking good information.

Bill

3. Plain Old Bill

I could have said it better, how about, once inside and people get to know you ,they are easier to influence and more ready to listen to your ideas.

4. Plain Old Bill

Please excuse me I have to go and study now.

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Sounds like a great idea. That is what really matters, isn't it? :thumbs:

Bill

6. UZThD

UZThD New Member

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Good idea!

Bill, you've hit an issue close to my heart. I am working on a consultant practice to do this very thing for some of these schools. My role would be to help in curriculum development, recruitment of qualified personnel, etc. I have been watching for potential candidates to recruit as adjunct faculty. Most of these schools do not have a qualified Dean of Instruction which role I would cover as a consultant. Of course, one of my standard suggestions is to cut back the degrees offered to the appropriate level of resources. Do you think they'll listen to me? We'll see. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

Wonderful! May the Lord be pleased to turn hearts and may you have great success.

Bill (Broadus)

9. Plain Old Bill

Outstanding Paid. Of course you are the one who turned me on to BTI and Covenant, thanks again.
    My best to you, I know some of these guys are very hard headed.