1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hac

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RLBosley, Jun 3, 2012.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Hey all. I (and my wife-to-be) feel God's call to full time ministry in evangelism. I'm looking into colleges to attend since while I study the scriptures and have learned a lot on my own, I know that a dedicated Bible college would be of tremendous value. My pastor was a graduate of Hyles Anderson College back some 20 years ago and is very pro-HAC (He's not a Hyles-ite though :smilewinkgrin:) and several people in my church are HAC grads. I have been looking into the school though and have found some very disturbing things in its history and in the leadership then and now. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any good opinions/counsel on going to HAC. Thanks everyone!

:godisgood:

#1 RLBosley, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have a good opinion if Hyles-Anderson. So I probably can't help.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are probably going to have a hard time finding people with a good opinion of HAC here, but I have been wrong before.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

By "Good" I mean useful... ANY thoughts are appreciated

5. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a useful thought... don't go there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Uhh.. That's not really useful

Anyone else?

7. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Basically you want people to tell you why you should go.
    Can't do it. Won't do it. I wouldn't encourage my worst enemy to go there.
    Way better options out there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trust me... that was very useful. There is very little redeeming qualities for HAC. As TadQ said, there are "way better options out there."

9. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I would echo what everyone is saying... Run, run, run, from HAC. If you want to go to a fundamental school that is widely accepted in "level headed" fundamental circles, go to Northland, Faith Baptist Bible College (Ankeny), Bob Jones, Piedmont, Maranatha....each would be light years better than HAC. Do not waste your time or even mental energy thinking about HAC. Heed the advice of many well intended people familiar with the school, its leadership, and its graduates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #10 Salty, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, for one thing, RLBosley, HAC is an unaccredited school. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, HAC purposefully does not even seek accreditation. If you ever chose to do something else with your degree from there, you may have difficulty finding anyone to find your education credible.

I know plenty of Christian schools who actively pursue accreditation. It's not the be-all, end-all of deciding if a school is valuable, but I think's it one step towards making that decision.

12. More Than Conquerors

Why?

What are your reasons for desiring to go to Bible college?
    Also, you should weigh all options and think this through. I will be a realist for you, to help you begin the process of counting the costs...

If it is for the education, there are a number of good and respectable Bible colleges that are from free to low cost and online.

If you feel you need a degree to get your calendar filled as an evangelist, maybe you should rethink your whole ministry approach.

Bible college graduation rates are low, we are in a recession, HAC is on the pricey side and do you really want to uproot your family once you are married?

If you go to HAC without getting married your chances of marrying your girlfriend drastically decrease.

Also, HAC is struggling with finances, lost the loyalty of many faithful churches in the last decade and has shifted in some of the philosophies and methods that it used under Jack Hyles.

Debt and lack of funds makes people and institutions do things they normally would not. Research them thoroughly.

If credibility is what you want in regards to filling your calendar as an evangelist, HAC will unfortunately limit you. They are not well received any more by many pastors.

You should seriously think through this. Bible colleges are not necessary for the ministry and if you are serious about attending one you should consider an online Bible college and continue attending your current church while focusing on getting married.

I know it is easy to get locked into 'wanting to do something and trusting God', but make sure your faith is scriptural and the things you are praying for and the money to support it are in line with scripture. If not, God may just let you fail and add it to your growing list of life changing lessons.

He may JUST give you give you the provision for the bus ticket back home once the money runs out or find you a ride to the local welfare office. Remember, God is not obligated to help you succeed.

God commands you to work with your hands and provide for your own. With a potential family on the way and the conditions of the job market, Bible college may no longer be an option and it may, in fact limit your ability to obey God in providing for your own. If so, an online Bible college may be your only option.

And remember our Lords admonishment...
    Luke 14:28-30:
    For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the most important decisions of your life other than your life partner.

It is important that you consider the following items.

Do not attend a school (university) in which graduation has little value. HAC is on the bottom of the list of worthless schools.

Do not attend a school (university) that is not providing a very diverse and Biblically based education in which not only you are schooled in what the Lord calls, but encourages development of all your talents and participation.

Do not attend a school (university) just because the school is accredited unless you do not intend to pursue higher degree programs in other institutions. Such schools as Harvard are not accredited (last I checked), but the recognition of the degree is international. Accreditation is no guarantee of excellence, but is a recognition of a certain level in which credits and course work meet a minimum acceptability by other institutions.

Do not attend a school (university) that has no historical evidence of world wide recognition. There are a number of schools gathered about a certain view, or personality. But doctrinal sound schools have remained doctrinally sound and graduates would rise to dismantle the university that goes doctrinally askew.

Finally, attend a school that presents an education package that will expose you to the finest of fine arts. There is great importance of being familiar with excellent staging presentations, orchestrations, oratorical contests,...
    These are invaluable when you begin your career, and there is great advantage to being able to draw from such resources when presenting the Gospel.

Best wishes in determining the exact schooling The Lord would have you to attend.

I do have this one last thought.

I have rarely met a person at the university level that did not at least discuss changing their major at least once. Many start in one area of emphasis and find that the particular work the Lord would have for them in a related (or even an unrelated) field of emphasis.

Many "preacher boys" find that they excel in administration, in finance, in education, in counseling. The diversity of the educational background will give great flexibility for the Lord to use you as He determines.

I know a preacher boy who just couldn't stay away from the shop classes and construction/engineering side. He has spent his life as a church planter and the experience he gained in the schooling was invaluable to the actual call of Christ on his life.

14. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Agedman (who myself is an aged man!!! LOL!!!);

I would only offer one opinion in retrospect: I tell young me now who are "going into the ministry" or "full-time Christian service" to go to a trade school, community college, or major university and get a way to make a living. I say "AMEN" to what you have said above. But so many want the short easy route rather than the hard and long way.

Then go to Bible college or seminary to get their ministry training; then they can make a living for their family. It takes longer, it costs more but the end result is that they cannot be fired from a church if they are a teacher at at public school or an accountant or some such. The ministry is hard enough on the wife and kids without all of the issues if NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY too!!

My two cents worth, and you know what that is worth!!!

"That is all!" :smilewinkgrin:

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Can you explain this part?

16. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member