1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Haggard Still Struggling

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Magnetic Poles, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The disgraced ex-pastor of New Life Church says he still struggles with same-sex attraction, but is now promoting a film about him.

Uh, Ted....your 15 minutes were up a long time ago.

Click Here

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shucks!

I thought this was about Merle.:tonofbricks:

3. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

As someone that is in that struggle, I have no use for someone like this that wants the spotlight to be on them and their troubles before they are even out of them.

If he were to do this after he overcame them and was trying to use this as a teaching tool to help others in the same path, I would understand, but I just can't understand it now.

Jamie

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I understand what he is doing, trying to make $$. That is what it has always been about with Haggard, $$.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

For the sake of the Kingdom, I'd like to disagree with you.

Problem is, I can't.:tear:

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an HBO documentary. How is he profiting monetarily from it?

I say God bless him. Stripped of his hypocrisy and the honor of men, he is free to seek that honor that comes from God only.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am sure he got paid for allowing the filming crew into his life and then there is a little thing called royalties. He is making money from the documentary make no mistake about it.

What really makes me angry about this is that he keeps putting himself in places where he gets attention. He needs to realize that he has no place in ministry and should have no public role in Christianity. He has been shamed, disgraced, and he has humiliated the church. He is no longer worthy of trust. Ted Haggard needs to go find a small town to live in where he can really reconnect with his family. In that small town he needs to get a job, live a normal life, and find a church where the Gospel is proclaimed. He needs to spend the rest of his earthly days in that small town living a normal life. He needs to get away from reporters, cameras, and mega-churches. In other words he simply needs to stop playing games and get real for once in his life.

8. Magnetic Poles

Amen! Sadly, he craves the spotlight too much to quietly go away and take care of his life.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I was not happy with Haggard when he became the President of the NAE before all this happened. Haggard is (or was) associated with that horrible NAR (New Apostolic Reformation) movement. Interestingly, one of their leaders was also caught in a similar problem and had to disappear (not sure if he is back or not).

10. Magnetic Poles

Well, Mama tried to raise him better,
    but her pleading he denied,
    That leaves only Ted to blame, 'cause Mama tried.

:thumbs:

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huge assumption.

I wouldn't say he's sought the attention as much as the media sought him.

What you need to do is give the guy some room for trying to do right, even if he isn't doing it perfectly. That he is sticking to his guns condemning the lifestyle to which he is still chained speaks volumes.

God bless him!

BTW, the agreement of Magnetic Poles with any position almost guarantees that it is antithetical to the Gospel. His posts in agreement with you should speak volumes as well.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Can he not just say no? If he really wanted to avoid the media he could. In my opinion, it's him that longs for the spotlight again and time will bare that out I believe.

The guy had room to do what was right... He was offer a way to become accountable and he choose to ignore it and move on with his life. It's only been a few years, a person can't change that quickly. BTW, I am speaking from experience here very related to what this man should be living through.

Yeah, anyone can talk the talk... that sure speak volumes... I believe it only drives a wedge between a real Christian trying to reach the gay community and the gay community itself. They will see this as "Christians" being "Christians".

He sure needs it, I will say that!

Comments like this makes one look at you and your posts in a different light. When you can so coldly speak about a brother in an open forum like this shows me a glimmer of your true self.

Ted should step far far away from any and all spotlights.. If the media come to him, he should politely tell them to go away. He should follow the guidelines he agreed to when he was outest by the church and make a full recovery before he "trys to help".

Jamie

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't think it is an assumption that he received and/or will recieve pay for agreeing to take part in the project. I would be really surprised if he was not paid.

==I'm not sure I agree with that. Everytime I read about him he is doing an interview (etc). He is certainly not acting like someone who realizes the position he is in.

==That's the problem, I don't believe he is trying to do right. I believe he was disgraced, forced out of his position, and now he is trying to squirm back in through getting a counseling degree and guest speaking in churches. He is trying to blame his behavior on alleged past abuse.

==He condemned it before he was caught with a male prostitute. Btw, he has changed his story (maybe this time telling the truth). Due to content I cannot link it here, but a story appeared on WKDR-ABC that confirms Haggard's behavior was a bit more than what we thought. He has now admitted that he actually used drugs and engaged in immoral acts with another man.

==My positions are my own. My distrust of Ted Haggard, and his kind, runs deep. I have seen too many of these false teachers to trust them when they say "sorry" after getting caught. Haggard is no different than Swaggart, Bakker, or any of those (2Pet 2:4-22).

#13 Martin, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  14. Magnetic Poles

Comments such as these broadcast clearly what is in your heart. This is not meant to be condescending, but you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

During my sabatical from the board, I decided that if I came back, I would still clearly and unashamedly engage in dialog and share my thoughts on the matters at hand; that I would also try to use humor where possible to help defuse heated situations. However, I also decided that regardless of what mean spirited comments were directed toward me, I would do my dead level best to respond with grace and love.

I know some here have passionately held beliefs to the point that, IMO, they confuse their pet positions with scriptural dictate. While I respect the passion, and the people holding those positions, I will engage and challenge people to think. I know I am challenged similarly.

Finally, my attitude is summed up in my current sig line from our third President.

Blessings,
    MP

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

What does it say, exactly? That he's a hypocrite? That he thinks people should do as he says, not as he does? That he can talk the talk, but not walk the walk? Words are cheap.

Show me someone who walks the walk, overcoming the lifestyle they were chained to, but does it out of the spotlight not seeking applause, and I'll show you someone who's worthy of respect. I have far more respect for that person than I do Ted Haggard, who only came out of the closet because he was forced to.

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Amen! I could not have said it better myself.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently the documentary was made before Haggard's fall. He was Pelosi's "tour guide" in her film which features several evangelicals. It had to be edited after he was exposed.

http://www.evangelicalright.com/2007/01/hbo_documentary_on_evangelical.html

My point is this: You're content to base your judgment on assumption and prejudice. They sound very much like the liberal, atheistic blogs concerning him and his situation. Unfortunately this doesn't argue well for your discernment or credibility.

Faced solely with the information in the article cited in the OP, you add your assumptions and prejudices and conclude that he is an unscrupulous profiteer (ignoring the fact that documentary producers generally do not pay their interviewees—unless they want their credibility questioned up front.)

I go on the the information presented and say, God bless him for being honest about his affections and holding to the truth that homosexuality is ungodly. And honestly, I think that's the reason Magnetic Poles is decrying him. (Men can go to the Men's Private Forum to see Poles' views on homosexuality.)

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he isn't. It's neither here nor there. What he is quoted as saying sounds like someone who is coming to grips with reality.

You have a lot to learn about how one's sexuality is conditioned, and it IS conditioned. Yes, there is a natural inclination, but it is easily redirected especially when one is sexually abused.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't understand how great a debtor you are yourself to the grace of God, if indeed you are a recipient thereof.

It doesn't matter how one was stripped his honor, bereft of the honor of men, he is in the best position one can be if his hunger and thirst is truly for Christ. (And the fact that he is hated by liberal bloggers gets a thumbs up from me :thumbsup: )

20. Magnetic Poles

So we add mindreader and teller of the intent of others to your resume? Truly awe inspiring! :laugh: I criticize Haggard for his behavior, and his attention-seeking actions after his fall. He was a big proponent of anti-gay legislation while living that lifestyle. He asked people for money contributions in violation of his restoration process, which he eventually left early. He is a pariah, a hypocrite, and a cancer on the body of Christ. Pastor Boyd, his replacement at New Life has even said Ted will have no role at the church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.