1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Haiti and Cuba

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Sep 24, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Not sure

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Is your church raising money to send to Haiti, Cuba, or any of the other islands hit by the recent hurricanes??

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Better than sending aid, we're sending in a team of carpenters. We go atleast once a year to help build a Bible institute. They'll be going in early spring next year. I'm not sure what we're doing directly about the hurricane stuff - I'd have to find out from our missions pastor how the Cuban church is doing.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Really good to hear that. Do you know where in Cuba the Bible Institue and church are located?

We received pictures from family that showed the total devastation on the eastern side of the island. Really sad. We know some people associated with Logoi, which trains pastors in Spanish speaking countries, including Cuba. Here is their web site which discusses the aftermath of Hurricane Ike -- http://logoi.org/english/content.php?content_id=258

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure exactly where in Cuba it is. I haven't seen the missions pastor since Sunday so I haven't had a chance to ask him about how they fared. It's so sad to think of a country that's so poor would experience that kind of devastation. :(

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Let me know if you find out. I wonder if they work with Los Pinos Seminary.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Found out the deal. Information is hard to get out of Cuba because there's no good phone system and it took a long time to get out to all the different Christian churches on Cuba to see how they fared.

The good news is that no one involved with any of the ministries we work with were injured or killed. A number of churches were damaged as were people's homes. They lost a number of buildings on the property that we've worked on but none of the buildings we've actually had a hand in were damaged. Our missions pastor sent an e-mail yesterday but he said it could be a while to get an e-mail back because of the bad communications there.

Thank God no one was hurt or killed. Buildings can be repaired. :)

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

That's wonderful news! One of our members (a missionary with Logoi) is there now. We hope to hear back from him once he returns.

BTW, we have much better luck with the internet rather than phones