1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Fame for Baptist HIstory

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 11, 2005.

1. JohnAMac

JohnAMac New Member

Secular historians sometimes don't identify the religious affiliation of historical figures, so unless you take a course in Baptist History, you might not know.

Also, it would depend on whether the person qualified for the Hall of Fame because of their contributions to the work of the Kingdom as a Baptist, or whether the person achieved a major accomplishment (national leadership, Nobel Prize, etc.) and happened to be a member of a Baptist church.

The nature of the Baptist branch of the Christian faith is such that the contributions of advancing the Kingdom through Baptist work are made by many, many people and has generally not produced a large number of individual stand outs. They are kind of like Quakers in that regard, putting aside narrower interests for the greater good. Baptists championed causes that benefited far more people than just Baptists, and religious liberty is a good example of that.

In teaching history, I don't often encounter authors who point out the religious persuasion of significant persons. However, in some cases, the contribution to history that the person made was a direct result of a particular distinctive belief or conviction of their faith. Baptists championed religious liberty largely because, unlike the predominant denominations in America, they had experienced persecution from several other groups, Puritans and Anglicans in particular (todays Congregationalists and Episcopalians) because they were a religious minority. Their heartfelt and influential appeal might not have been considered had they not been through that persecution. The colony that was founded through the influence of Baptist principles and as a result of Baptist persecution, Rhode Island, became a refuge for other persecuted religious minorities in America, including Catholics, who eventually became predominant there.

If, as an individual Baptist, I could nominate someone from my own personal experience, it would be Dr. James Dunn, who served for many years as the executive director of the Baptist Joint Committee for Public Affairs in Washington.

If you're speaking of Jack Chick--the tract publisher--he's Pentecostal.

2. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Spurgeon for..... being Spurgeon.
    for his preaching, his library, his stand during the Downgrade Controversy.

All the Baptist in the Fox's Book of Martyrs.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

JohnAMac
    "If you're speaking of Jack Chick--the tract publisher--he's Pentecostal."
    "
    What's your source for this? I went looking after Squire questioned Chick being a baptist and couldn't find anything about Chick's denomination, except the unsubstanciated claim in the Wikipedia article that he was a baptist.

4. JohnAMac

JohnAMac New Member

I'm assuming, by the contents of some of the tracts that he's published, that he's Pentecostal. One of them, with his unique way of drawing and wording, is a defense of the doctrine of being "slain in the spirit," or "falling" in the presence of the Holy Spirit. He bases his defense on the passage of scripture where the temple guards come looking for Jesus in the garden, and when they ask which one is Jesus of Nazareth, he says, "I am he," and the soldiers of the guard fall backward at his words. I'm guessing that since he is defending a doctrine that is distinctly Pentecostal, he must also be a Pentecostal.

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

I think Chick is Pentecostal or Charismatic. He defended them as defenders of the Faith in one of his anti Catholic comic books. He also wrote a tract on Falling from Grace, I believe called "Three Brothers" (Which I do not believe is prinited anymore). For some reason I thought Chick was Assembly of God but I think I may be wrong.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't find anything in Chick's work that would suggest he is Penecostal.

In Alberto, he has the Jesuits saying "Our masterpiece is the Third Force which is the Charismatic movement! This is the bridge to Rome. Those Protestants have accepted us with open arms."

This is how Chick typically talks about charismatics, and tongues are nowhere mentioned in his statement of faith, which is in the tradition of the New Hampshire Confession-Baptist Faith and Message.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Add Isaac Backus and Shubal Stearns to my nominations.

8. Corry Cox

Corry Cox New Member

James Boyce, John Broadus, Benjamin Coxe, Benjamin Keach, Both Basil Manly's&gt;&gt;&gt;

9. JohnAMac

JohnAMac New Member

I've learned from experience that just because someone promotes or advertises a particular "statement of faith," doesn't mean they abide by it in their own practice. If they are selling something, like literature for Bible classes, or offering something for money, like tuition in schools, the "statement of faith" reflects what they think will attract the most people to their product or service, and might not actually represent what they really believe. Or they may put it in terms so that you assume it means one thing, when they really mean something different.

Putting down other Christians because they see things differently isn't something I would consider to put someone in the Baptist history hall of fame.

10. JohnAMac

JohnAMac New Member

Daniel Vestal, Cecil Sherman, Kenneth Chafin

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    William H. Doane and Fanny Crosby.

12. Corry Cox

Corry Cox New Member

Annie Armstrong and Lottie Moon

13. Corry Cox

Corry Cox New Member

Adoniram Judson

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doane was a Baptist; Crosby was a Methodist.

15. Baptist Bro

Baptist Bro New Member

James and Robert Haldane.

I don't think I've seen Billy G. mentioned yet.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Earnest Pickering

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

R. G. Lee and Lee R. Scarborough.

18. Baptist Bro

Baptist Bro New Member

Augustus Strong

19. hamricba

hamricba New Member

B.H. Carroll

20. mioque

mioque New Member

For a matched set we could put BH Carroll's brother JM Carroll in the Hall of Shame.

What?