1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hall of Fame for Baptist HIstory

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 11, 2005.

1. yeshua4me2

yeshua4me2 New Member

C.H. Spurgeon...this is my favorite quote, "if God had painted a yellow stripe down the back of all those who would believe, i would spend all day lifting up shirts; but because He did not I preach Whosoever will."

i just read his lectures to his students, and man what a Preacher. The things he lectured about were at times very funny. This one time when he was a "younger minister" he had to preach two sundays in a row in July (keep in mind no AC and, this might be the worst part, NO DEODERANT), and the church had no opening windows. So he showed up early the second sunday, and "found the windows broken out by stones", nice and drafty the second sunday.....still makes me laugh.

another Sunday he noticed that the majority of the congregation had fallen asleep, so he sat down in the first pew and went to sleep. when one brave paritioner asked him what he was doing he said apparently the Lord is moving this way and who was he to argue.....ha ha ha ha, that one cracks me up, if my ,or any pastor, did that today, i think he would get in trouble....still be funy though.

anyway another hero of mine is Timothy, Young and so determined, and true to the faith.....is there any books about him, or any history that tells of him outside the bible?

and yes i ramble sometimes sorry...

thankyou and God Bless

2. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Can't believe you Hammond and Hyles-Anderson folks haven't suggested Jack Hyles.

After all, didn't he once say something like, "If I was out of the picture fundamentalism would die?" If he did say something like that, and if it was true, certainly he would be among the greatest Baptist preachers of the 20th century.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Also John Dagg, James P. Boyce, the Manly's.

4. OldRegular

P. H. Mell.

5. OldRegular

Dare I suggest Jesus Christ?

6. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned him yet... wish I had time to read every post. I'd have to nominate Patric Henry for his beautiful ability to stand as a political figure without compromising the truth and yet not going against the baptist distinctive of disastablishment. He plaid a great roll in motivating men to fight for the freedom we now cherish today and that God has used so mightily for a massive amount of contribution to the spreading of the gospel and the necessities to keep people alive and well enough to hear it, recieve it, and live it.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is the man was an Anglican\Episcopalian. Considering the times, he wouldn't have been a member of the Virginia bar if he was a Baptist.

8. Blood Bought 7

I'm pretty confident he was a baptist.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was, as the Squire said, an Anglican but often attended a Presbyterian church, which helps account for his oratorical style.

He also was author of a bill that would have provided a general assessment for churches, to be earmarked by the taxpayers, a proposal opposed (successfully) by Madison and the Baptists.

10. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

From most of the biographies I have read, that even though an Anglican, he was largely influenced by Presbyterians, and at one time considered becoming a Presbyterian minister.

His sisters, influenced by Bishop Francis Asbury, were Methodist. I live on land once owned by Henry's sister, Elizabeth Henry Campbell Russell.

11. Blood Bought 7

Hmm, well I learned something new.... I'm trying to remember why I thought I learned he was a baptist

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I know I am going to get beat up for this but I nominate Jerry Falwell.His ministry has spawned one of the largest churches in the country which is the mother church of many others all across America.His ministry has spawned Liberty University which has sent out many young Baptist preachers to start new ministries.His TV ministry has influenced many.The Moral Majority had had no small impact on Christian American political activism.

13. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I know I am going to get beat up for this ... "

We've haven't had anyone bitten here in quite a while.

14. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been very few missionaries listed so far. How about Adoniram Judson, America's first cross-cultural missionary?

Or here's one for you: John Birch, one of the first independent Baptist missionaries. His name was grabbed for the society named after him because he was killed days after the end of WW2 by the Communists in China while on a mission for the U. S. government.

15. patrick

patrick New Member

You cannot have a Baptist hallo fame without Lottie Moon. There has been thousands of pastors who are not nationally known who deserves the accolades. We will find out someday in Heaven. There commimant to the Kingdom cannot be measured here on earth.