1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Halloween

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jailminister, Oct 31, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ah.. but we tell children that monsters are not real... Monster's can't hurt you... and then tell them it's okay to emulate Brittney Spears. I am concerned that this is giving children the impression that we think that type life and clothing is 'just fine'... even in church!

Diane

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

It is strange how so many so-called christians justify and take part in Halloween. Oh well....

1Cor 5:6 Your glorying [is] not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So much for healthy and positive discusison. And I wonder why so many people are leaving the board.

5. Sularis

Sularis Member

Arty me boyo - each post you make shows you are truly truly pig ignorant of the origins of Halloween

Please, please stop, I already pity you

yes witches bad
    seances bad
    Satan is bad
    evil is bad

Samhain - Halloween - has never had to do with worshipping Satan or any deities - but rather a celebration of the year past, in the style of a wake, remembering, accepting, dealing with then burying memories, ghosts. and moving on to the next year with no encumbrances

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Sularis, I do plead truly, truly ignorant of the expression "pig ignorant". I'm from Eastern Kentucky and I thought I had heard them all. As to the origins of Halloween, how is it that you find me ignorant when I have not commented one way or the other about those origins.

It is a shame to waste such good pity since I cannot stop that which I have not started.

If you truly believe that that is what Halloween is then, my cyber-sparring partner, the pity is now flowing from me to you.

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Johnv, I wasn't being unhealthy, just expressing my opinion in a calm and straightforward manner. The only negativity was in disagreeing with you as to the seriousness of avoiding the occult. Do you honestly believe that my "unhealthy and negative discussion" would actually cause someone to leave the board?

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, absolutely. Not just you, but anyone with similar posts.

I don't have a problem with disagreement, and discussion over those agreements. What I take issue with is posts, like several of yours, that go to the point of accusing those who disagree with your viewpoint as taking part in evil acts. This not only enflames the other person in the discussion, but some people become fearful of posting their opinions on the board, for fear of getting branded as an evil person (or liberal, or apostate, or worldly, or ecuminist, or wolf in sheeps clothing, or the multitude of other names that I've seen hurled at people who simply wish to engage in a casual philosophical discussion.

It would help if, when presenting your opinions, to say "it's my opinoin that...." or "I don't believe that" rather than saying "this is the way it is". Additionally, when facts are presented that contradict your opinion, have the courtesy to acknowlege it.

9. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

If you get a minute, please read 1 Corinthians 10:14-11:1. I think this offers the best idea about how to deal with Christianity: abstain ONLY for the sake of the weak Christian.

Halloween is not evil. Men make it evil.

When I see this issue pop up over and over, again, I wonder why we get so afraid of this "day". It's just ONE day! It doesn't define our walk with God. Take it easy!

Dress up in costumes and tell people about Christ and Him crucified. They're eyeballs will pop out of their head with impressiveness because they rarely hear things like that on Oct 31.

Use Halloween as a vehicle for God and fellowship...and please stop worrying so much about it.

It's much healthier that way.

[​IMG]

10. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

My children don't participate in the rituals of the Druids. My son dressed up like a 'space ranger' and my daughter was a 'ladybug'. Then, they went out and collected candy/treats from friendly neighbors. It's good clean fun.

11. Sularis

Sularis Member

Arty me laddie, me buck, me boyo

Since this wee lil thread SEEMS to be titled Halloween, and thus one could have this assumption that this topic is about Halloween, and its components.

We wont go into linguistic history of the expression 'pig ignorant' at least not yet
    I have to leave you something to look forward to

Yer commenting on a thread that surprisingly is discussing Halloween - yer stating that all this stuff is evil - so unless yer REALLY OFF TOPIC you've been discussing the origins of Halloween through the discussion of what you perceive makes up Halloween; and unless you can prove that the Baptists on this board are into animal sacrifices, seances, Satan, or are witches, I dispute that yer understanding of Halloween is incorrect

btw GO JAMAL - WOOO

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

:confused: and you call me ignorant [​IMG]

13. Sularis

Sularis Member

No I call myself tired - you work 48 hours in a row, with only 3 hours to go home have a shower, change clothes, do a quick surf which btw includes being awake 8 hours before emergency called into work, and help clean a church

Today was pretty much my recovery day, but the point is that witches, seance, Satan, has nothing to do with Halloween.

at least you probably have a job that lets you have something approximating a life - IF you have a life - or a job
    ;)

14. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Sularis, I was just giving you a bit of a hard time, I know it was just a slip of the fingers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I seriously doubt that even one out of twenty people would agree with that statement.

Life and job accounted for. Sorry to hear yours is putting such a strain on you.

15. Matthew 16:24

Matthew 16:24 New Member

A Halloween thread?
    I thought about this and I think I am not going to participate in Halloween activities.
    My reasons are:
    Halloween glorifies the dark, opposite of the “light”
    The costumes (there are nice ones too) Devils, witches, pimps, hookers, and ghosts. Basically anything with the appearance of evil is a costume. If it can scare you and give your kids nightmares it’s a good costume. No thanks.
    Kids begging for candy.
    Kids wrecking other peoples belongings I.e. vandalism.
    The humane society has increase in reports with animals being tortured on this date.

Well these are my reason why I choose not to celebrate it. However, I will participate in a fall festival or something similar that has innocent themes. No ghosts, Britney spears wannabes or anything of that nature.

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Fair enough. It's my opinion that Christians who participate in the celebration of Halloween are giving their implicit approval of or at least denying the seriousness of the Christian concept of avoiding the occult. I believe that it gives a false impression to tender young minds and weak Christians that things associated with evil can be a source of amusement and that no serious entanglement will result. I don't believe that I am aware of any facts that I have not acknowledged.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Romans 14v5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Artimaeus,

You said...

I made the following inquiry of Jailminister and as far as I can see he did not answer.

I'll ask you now:

So Artimaeus,

Do you honor or give implicit approval to the pantheon of false gods when you name one of the days of the week...

Sunday - Day of the Sun.
    Monday - Day of thr Moon.
    Tuesday - Zeus Day.
    Wednesday - Woden's Day.
    Thursday - Thor's Day.
    Friday - Friden's Day.
    Saturday - Saturn's Day.

Nowhere in the Scripture do we see the days of the week named after false gods but instead they are preceded by or signified by a cardinal number as a noun or adjective : The First day of the week, the seventh day, etc...

And indeed the Scripture forbids this practice of vocalizing the names of false gods:

Exodus 23:13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

Please advise.

HankD

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Personally, my advice would be "don't worry about these trivial things". Jesus tell us not to worry about the small stuff: what we'll eat or drink, what we'll wear, etc. I'd imply this to also mean would should wouldn't worry about what day was named after whom, or what the origins of this and that date are, or what day of the week this and that was, etc etc etc. It's all small stuff.

20. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

No, I also don't care that July is named after Julius or August named after Augustus, or March after Mars or what the origins of Halloween or the word Easter is/was.

My concern isn't with what day it is but with the activities that are the prime ingredients and purpose.

All holidays have elements that are not the main purpose of the holiday that occur in conjunction with them. People get drunk on the 4th of July but, the purpose of the holiday is to commemorate American freedom won at the cost of many lives. The purpose of Thanksgiving is to Tahnk God for His blessings but, some people abuse this day with gluttony, or just watch football and never give any thought to God. I don't believe that we should throw out the baby with the bath water. However, with Halloween, it is the baby that is bad and not the bathwater. Its primary purpose and the force that drives it is the"entertainment" of all things evil. Sure, there are activites that aren't the least bit malevolent that occur on Oct 31st but that does not negate the overwhelming emphasis that is put on ghosts, goblins, witches, death, scarey things that go bump in the night, skeletons, zombies, gory injuries, graveyards, monsters, vampires, blood, eyeballs, decapitations, and the list can go on and on. This does not even mention the vandalism, from simple pranks to serious property damage and even bodily harm.