1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Halloween

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since it is a Thursday night, we will be handing out candy to kids that ring the door bell. End of story. One thing I will not be doing is having an extended debate over the Christian morality of Halloween.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you pass out Bible tracts as well?

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

In a very, "The person who wrote this tract was absolutely NUTS, and is the leader of a large cult in a compound somewhere" kind of way....

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do at times, but cannot say I have ever handed them out on Halloween. It might also interest you to know I have never taped a tract to a bottle rocket before I shot one off on the 4th of July.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you could dress as John Wesley for Halloween and hand out tracts! It’d be evangelistic but at the same time way out of character. :smilewinkgrin:

7. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb New Member

JonC....I agree. But it depends on how you look at it. Are folks really glorifying it...or just having some clean fun?? The answer is both. I'm sure some folks do glorify it. I'd say the majority of Christians who participate are doing it for some clean fun time with the family and enjoying giving to others.

And just what is a satanic image?? satan is a spirit no one sees. These devil with horns and tails images are all man made make believe. If anything satan appears as a angel of light and fools people! A sweet talking kind fellow who deceives people. His image has been turned into a monster by MAN. That's the problem today is people look for a monster instead of a deceiving angel of light.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

When it comes to Halloween, Christmas, Ester eggs, etc. I think much is a matter of conscience.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You could dress up as Calvin and burn someone at the stake, then go sprinkle some infants.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could - although I don't know if my Calvin costume would look any different from my Wesley costume. All I have is a wig and a robe. People would just think I was being Howard Stern.

11. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

Calvin wore a beard, not a wig. Wesley wore a wig, not a beard. Not that anyone mistaking it all for Stern would know that anyway. To be honest, though, I had to look up Howard Stern to know who he was. That would necessarily mean that until today, if someone were dressed like Stern, I would likely have mistaken it for Wesley.:eek:

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Havensdad, I have no problem with dressing up in costumes or eating candy. I DO have a problem with the glorifying of DEATH.

What does scripture say about death? The wages of sin is death. Death came by sin. Death is the last ENEMY that will be destroyed. All those who hate me (wisdom) love death. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, or in hell, as in the case of the rich man.

By those statements alone, I cannot understand why anyone claiming to be a Christian would want to celebrate gory, bloody, violent "death" themed costumes or parties. Zombies (the un-dead) are a type of "living dead" and are a slap in the face to the Christ who defeated death. Ghosts are also an affront to our beliefs, as we do not roam the earth spiritually looking for rest. Only demons do this.

I have no desire to play with, or laugh at, zombies, ghosts, dead brides, ax murderers, skeletons, skulls, vampires, or anything else that makes death or mutilation "cool" or "funny." When Satan can get us to laugh at evil, we forget the seriousness of sin and the consequences it can have in our lives.

13. Gib

Gib Active Member

I'm thinking about dressing us as BO wearing a rodeo clown's mask.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wesley it is then. Beard is too itchy. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Forget the costumes, just hand over the candy!

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

Holding a "Trunk or treat." Halloween night, dozens of church members bring their cars, vans and pickups to the church parking lot with bags of treats in the trunk, in the back, or in the bed. Everyone is invited to come through, we have huge signs along the street to advertise it, and everyone has a good time. There are no tracts, no preaching, no pressure. Just a good time. Shows people we're just people, too.

I have candy available, comment on their costumes, and tell them to have fun, be safe, and enjoy. It isn't the time to evangelize, because most kids and parents just think its a good time. It isn't a celebration of evil to them, and it shouldn't be to us.

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would be a good time to hand out Bibles and tracts.

"Be not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your minds."

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trunk or treat is my favorite idea for churches who are doing something for Halloween. It, from my experience, is not only witnessing to the community but is also a great time of fellowship.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You could dress up as former NY governor Spitzer or NY representative Weiner, superglue a woman to you dressed up as their wife, and make a speech about going through this time of trouble together. If I pulled a stunt like that, my wife would have drop kicked me to the next dimension except for the money in my pocket.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Try a Robert Tilton costume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlefDfYw3k