1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hand Raising in Worship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CF1, Nov 3, 2011.

?
  1. I raise both arms and move my whole body to the music in praise to God!

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I raise my two hands and arms when it helps me worship and express love to God

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. I'm most comfortable with one hand/arm raised (two makes you a Pentacostalist)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. I raise my hands in praise but keep them below my head

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  5. I'm willing to close my eyes looking upward, but no hand raising.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  6. I say Amen sometimes

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. My knuckles turn white as I grab onto the pew in front of me when I'm worshiping deeply

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. I keep my hands in my pockets, and turn them upward sometimes

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. I admit I'm afraid to look over emotional by expressing my love to God with my hands like David did

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  10. I tell people to stop being "Pentacostalists" if I ever see them raise their hands

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is there any NT scripture condemning it? You can certainly find plenty of OT scripture that says it was pleasing to God. Do you have scripture for that says God is no longer pleased with it?

:laugh: I guess OT Jews were pentecostal!

The OP is NOT talking about rolling around on the floor or barking like a dog or holy laughter or any of the charismatic nonsense. It's talking about raising your hands. That is all. It's amazing to me how so many get so upset about that. :(

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What you're talking about is someone who is just plain rude. I have never advocated rudeness. I would never jump up in front of someone and block their view. Apples and oranges.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not speaking about what Jews did.
    And I am certainly not aligning myself with the Charismatic movement.
    So, what NT precedent is there for waving one's hands in the air?

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Back in my Charismatic days (many, many, many moons ago), I would raise my hands during worship. Nowadays I usually just tap my feet some and play along with the drummer of the back of the seat in front of me.

Occasionally I will raise one hand maybe head high, but that doesn't happen too often.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

First of all, who said anything about "waving"???? See, you keep adding to what the OP is talking about just so you can say it's wrong. The only precedent I suppose in the NT would be the fact that Paul and the apostles were Jewish. The way the Jews worshiped, with clapping hands and such were not part of the Law, so I see nowhere that it was abolished, do you? When Paul talked about singing Psalms and hymns to God, do think just maybe he still worshiped like he did in the temple? And since it was normal, why would he even speak about it?

There is nothing wrong or sinful or disrespectful to raise a hand in worship to God any more than it is wrong to get on your knees to pray. But out of respect for you and your church, if I were to visit, I would not do it.

BTW, I also raise my hand/hands in worship to God in the privacy of my home while listening to music. It has nothing to do with wanting to appear righteous to other people. What a heathen I am! :laugh:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it rude? Hasn't it been said on this thread that people should worship in the manner they see fit?

At any rate my point I was trying to get across is just because something can be disruptive it doesn't mean they have a "hang up" over it.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. CF1

CF1 New Member

It's true, I'm trying to focus on what might be called typical Baptist style Hand Raising, if there is such a thing, not Pentecostal style Hand Raising, Jumping, Shouting, Dancing, etc.

I'm curious about Baptist's thoughts and practices on the subject.

9. CF1

CF1 New Member

Someone asked for NT Bible verses on Hand Raising

Luke 24:50
    50 Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them.

1 Timothy 2:8
    I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling;

How do people interpret verses like this in your practice?

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The raising of hands can certainly be a part of a worship experience and should always be a person choice. The only problem is that it is not done as a way to show one being pious before men (Although I think many times it is). I am always suspect of some of the things I see and being called worship when the same person all week long shows no evidence that their lives worship the Lord (by that I mean living holy). I have a standard I go by in such things. If I don't do it in my private worship with the Lord to honor Him I certainly don't do it in public worship to be seen by men and I do at times lift my hands to the Lord in public worship.

#50 freeatlast, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't know. I don't recall anyone saying people should worship as they see fit without regard to other people's feelings but maybe I missed it.

And my point was that just raising your hand isn't disruptive. Blocking someone's view is. We should have the attitude Paul taught.

Phil 2
    3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

12. Ed B

Ed B Member

I do not always raise my hands, but when I do I prefer to raise them no higher than my head, with head bowed.

Purely preference and what I feel to be worshipful and humble.

If I remember correctly the noted 2nd century charismatic (Montanist) Tertullian said one should raise their hands with head bowed in worship. He also said something along the line that we shouldn't wear dyed clothing because had God wanted us to wear red or purple he would have made red and purple sheep.....my paraphrase of course.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some worship services last over an hour. Don't y'all's arms get tired after a while?

14. CF1

CF1 New Member

When I took a music "Voice" class at the University as part of my degree, we were taught a technique used in Opera and classical music.

To hit high notes you will see a Mezzo-Soprano place her hand on top of her head or with a hand pointed straight up to the sky. Raising the arm, raises the diaphragm into a position to give more support, which enables her to hit a higher note with power.

You see Julie Andrews do this move in the classic movie the Sound of Music, when she sings the last note in one of the songs with the children. She makes it looks like its a theatrical move to express herself, but it's really what enables her to hit that very high note with a lot of volume, support, and power.

I do this sometimes at church when singing with my whole heart that is overflowing full of love for God (based on the HS illuminating Scripture, of course... :).

Raising arms straight up accomplishes this purpose too.

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW - I Do Respect Others in my Use of Expression!!!

I have been in churches where everyone is pretty much sitting on their hands during the singing of hymns and prayer. And if that is what they feel comfortable doing, that is fine with me. :thumbsup:

I strongly support and practice 1 Cor. 8:9 - "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak."

And:

Romans 14:13 - "Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister."

Therefore, if I'm in a service, where the atmosphere is more sedate, I am willing to avoid "being a stumbling block" and I will practice the old axiom - "when in Rome, do as the Romans do."

There are right times and places to express what is inside, and it is not in accordance with the Word to be a stumbling block for the weaker (that lacking magnitude, brightness, or loudness) of the flock. And I do not mean this in an insulting, or judgmental way. It is a fact, that there are as many believers who do not understand, or even desire to be demonstrative in their personal style of worship.

To raise hands, jump, and shout when among a group of folks that is comfortable in a less expressive style of praise and worship would cause a distraction, and take the focus off of Jesus, and put the spotlight on the person being expressive for their own gain (showing off).

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree but sometimes an "Amen!" just pops out.:smilewinkgrin:

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not really. I've just never really seen someone raise their hand straight as a hockey stick and then not moving it. It seems that would be more of a salute that you are speaking of. Raising hands usually accompanies some sort of wave. However, I may be wrong.
    Yes, a different covenant demanded a different service. It was no longer liturgical. It very soon graduated out of the Temple, and soon after that was pushed out of the synagogues into homes and other informal places. It was far more informal than Jewish worship. At the same time they made it different, not the same. They discarded many of the Jewish practices. For example there is no real evidence that the early Christians didn't even use instruments. Not even at the time of the Reformers did they use instruments. Spurgeon didn't. Wesley didn't. Adam Clarke didn't.
    No, not at all. Their goal was to be different; not the same.
    It draws attention to the person and not to God. When it does happen I find myself looking at that person and wondering. My focus has been diverted by someone who has distracted others from worship.
    The way you worship God in your own home is your business. You can even dance to the Lord in your home if you like. It won't bring an offense to anyone.

18. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Heard That :<)

I know what you mean. I guess if you have to let out an "Amen!" once in the while, it's better than letting it build up and cause you to be "spiritually bloated!" :laugh:

19. CF1

CF1 New Member

In my Baptist church raising hands is encouraged, modeled, and pretty common. We have some pretty heart felt worship. It's amazing. Probably about 1/4 of the people raise hands at various times. Maybe a bit more. At youth retreats, probably about 80%+ raise hands. The intensity level of worship is really high, due to incredible preaching and teaching that fills our hearts with God. But it is definitely Baptist in nature, not anything like Pentecostal.

#59 CF1, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Common On CF1, Your Church is....

....Bapticostal and you like it! :laugh: It's okay to say these two names in the same sentence. In fact, as the pendulum of time swings back to the right, the Pentecostals seem to be more sedate and liturgical in their worship style while the mainstream, pew-sitters are becoming more pew-jumping, hand-flying Pentecostals. :wavey: