1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Handshaking while instruments play a verse

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by timdavis, Oct 9, 2005.

1. mozier

mozier New Member

The time for handshaking in my church is the time that the pastor will look into the camera (we are on television as well for the community at large) and invite the viewers to come on by and worship in person, or at least take part in our potluck Wednesdays! Spanish Rice (the official dish of Baptist Churches) and casseroles for all.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Ah! Ok, I totally didn't get that. If you would have stuck a smiley of some kind there, I would have understood and wouldn't have responded the way I did. I would have had the same response to the holy kiss comment though. :D

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

Who wants to shake a germy hand? :rolleyes:

4. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I think it gets everyone in a good mood--if they weren't in one already. I like this expression of fellowship. I'm kind of a shy person so this nudges me to introduce myself to visitors that may be sitting around me. It's another way to invite visitors to join in the worship service.

If you're worried about germs, carry some in your purse (or let your wife) carry some. Then discretely rub some on your hands when you are seated.

5. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I think it gets everyone in a good mood--if they weren't in one already. I like this expression of fellowship. I'm kind of a shy person so this nudges me to introduce myself to visitors that may be sitting around me. It's another way to invite visitors to join in the worship service.

If you're worried about germs, carry some in your purse (or let your wife) carry some. Then discretely rub some on your hands when you are seated.

6. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I meant to say carry hand sanitizer not germs in your purse. lol

7. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG] Songbird!

I like this time too. :cool:

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds like the problem isn't having the handshaking time, but the regular members being friendly, welcoming and concerned for each other and new comers outside of the handshake time.

9. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Do we not have more important issues to deal with than this? It is a time for people to stand and shake the cob webs out a bit. It puts a smile on peoples faces who may not have had a reason to smile because of burdens they are carrying. It certainly lifts the spirit of the congregation. Come on guys, people are going to hell and we are criticizing this?

10. Tim

Tim New Member

Nobody has to respond to the thread. Lighten up a little. [​IMG]

Anyway, contrary to what many have stated, I'm NOT against handshaking at church. My pet peeve is basically that superficial scheduled handshaking is often taking the place of true fellowship within the body of Christ.

I've been in churches that truly love one another and I've been in superficial churches where everything is programed (including a form of friendliness) instead of springing from the heart. The sad fact that too many churches I've visited resemble the latter. Those churches will likely have little attraction for other Christians (or seeking non-Christians) who visit the church.

Feel free to have your scheduled handshaking times! But don't fool yourself into believing that a mere show of friendliness while the piano plays will have much of an impact on others around you in need of true Christian fellowship. As Christians, we've got to go beyond that level.

Tim

11. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. A superficial show of friendliness may do more harm than good.

But for those churches that really have folks who are friendly and concerned about others, the scheduled time is a valuable opportunity to "break the ice" for further friendliness and fellowship.

12. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I'm in the orchestra so I'm playing the verse. [​IMG]

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like shaking hands. I like saying hello to people I only see in the sanctuary and not any other time. I do the same thing in the halls when I see someone I haven't seen in a while or someone I see all the time. I also introduce myself to people I haven't met before.

14. Biz E. Mom

Biz E. Mom New Member

Our church occasionally does this "turn around and shake hands" thing during one verse of a hymn, and my husband and I hate it! It feels very forced and contrived. You don't really have time to chat or get to know anyone; it's just a quick, annoying formality. I much prefer the other tradition we have: publicly recognizing first-time visitors during announcement time. This allows members to see where the new people are so they can make a point to greet and talk with them after the service. And that's indeed what we do.

15. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

I don't care much for the shake hands between hymn verses, i'd much rather have a 45 minute coffee break between meeting on sunday morning for fellowship.

16. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I've never heard of anyone dying from "Shaking hands" in Church.

Most of the small churches, "In my neck of the woods" still baptize in the river, "IN JANUARY", and I've never heard of "ONE" catching "pneumonia" and dying.

Being willing to "Crucify the old man" to follow the "Lord's Commandments" is not "Hazardous to your health", but just the opposite, "HEALTHY".

Those of you who don't shake hands, do you know the people, by name, sitting on the other side of the church or are they just "Somebody" you see at church??

17. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

We do that in my church too, and I think that it is rather lame (especially during flu season)—but it’s better than nothing (unless you catch the flu)! Some time ago, I was attending a church that took a 20 minute coffee break out on the patio right before the sermon so that everyone could wake up, get up, stretch, get some fresh air, and get a cup of coffee or punch, and a couple cookies or a donut. Personally, I got a whole lot more out of the coffee break that I did out of the rest of the service.

[​IMG]

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Some of the churches with the worst fellowship has this time. Some of the warmest churches I've ever been in doesn't.

I have no problem either way.

19. ascund

ascund New Member

Greetings

I've been reading early American history. Up to the early 1900's, preachers commonly preached for an hour. In the mid 1800's, it was common to hear a three hour sermon!

Today, we Americans have been so cursed with prosperity that we can no longer tolerate a 20 minute sermonette. People grumble if the service goes one minute beyond an hour.

As Craig rightly noted, some actually have a coffee break for wimpy Christians.

What's next? One-time God-fearing America is now storing up some big time wrath! It is no longer of question of whether or not judgment will come. The questions are now: When will judgment fall? How can we remain faithful as individuals through God's judgment upon our wicked nation?

Lloyd

20. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

My pet peeve is people who argue and complain over such small details.

Go with the flow or don't participate!

Then again there seems to be a lot of that going on in this board. Pick apart small insignificant things until destroyed.
    Gods will or satans influence? If you ask me it looks worldly and since satan is the god of this world I think I know my answer.