1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Handshaking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

We just do the fist bump for the guys and "hug and cheek brush air kiss" thing for the ladies (if they want to). This is N. Mexico (tic) after all!!

:laugh:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I sometimes forget that I'm from the South, where folks are friendly to a fault.

Up there in New York State, maybe it's not quite like that.

You folks who have traveled a lot, do you find that differences in region may account for the kind of welcome you get in a church?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Former missionary here says, "YES!"

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Paul ask us to greet the brethern with a holy kiss
    Rom 16:16... I Cor 16:20... II Cor 13:12... I Thes 5:26

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose of our 3-4 minute fellowship time is to make sure that visitors are greeted and spoken to.

Yes, people mill around shaking hands, but no one HAS to and if someone stands there with their arms crossed and their brows knitted and gives the appearance that they don't want to shake hands or hug, then that's fine, too.

I usually don't get to participate in this because I am playing the piano. But two Sunday nights per month, the praise band plays and I sit in the congregation.

I find the fellowship time very wonderful and meaningful. I get to speak to people that I normally don't and it's so wonderful for people to smile at each other!!!!! :love2:

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad thats not true in your church, but in way too many I have found that
    Code:
    What I'm talking about is when the pastor says 
    " all right, everyone turn to your neighbor, shake thier hand 
    and greet them" If someone only does it beacuse they are told, 
    I rather they not do it. 
    to be the case. For the record, these were all churches in the North. In general, I have found to Southern churches to be more friendly.

7. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Agreed. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Also, I am on chemotherapy and my white counts are down, so I'm always worried about getting germs and getting sick.

8. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

The HS time is so those who are not regularly aquainted can become aquainted and those who might be at odds can stop being at odds, along with just plain ol' southern hospitality.

Many a time I've been avoided, sometimes this is good, but many times I did the avoiding so not to spread my last sickness.

So many use these lotions to sterilize their hands after shaking time. Actually studies have been done that show this actually builds a resistence, in an already healthy immune system, to germs in not using anti-bacteria lotions. Of course low white blood count is the exception.

I make my boys shake hands if they get in a tangle and keep making them shake until they have learned to get over it and smile.

Maybe the administrator can start making BB members shake until they GET OVER IT!:smilewinkgrin:

9. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doing a Neulasta shot, by any chance? My chemo required it.

Also, I had a bottle of Germ-X in my purse at all times. Recently, when we went through this ridiculous H1N1 scare, they put Germ-X in every pew at church, and noone is embarrassed to use it. :tongue3:

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

[​IMG]

How's this for a shake? :laugh:[​IMG]

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I tend to buzz around and move choir mikes, etc when I am sick so as to not have to shake hands.

I made my kids hug when they couldn't hardly stand to be in the same room, then they would start to laugh, and the problem was solved!

Good idea!

12. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Old Regular Baptist both the Primitive and the free choice side shake hands during the opening and closing hymns, most also shake hands greet with hugs and some greet with a holy kiss.Vistors and non members don't always go through out the congergation but some do, it is not a mandated custom.