1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hanging of the Greens

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gigabyte71, Dec 2, 2014.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give you the quick version so I don't derail the thread. In 1995, the family moved into the parsonage in a little village of 500 folk. One family in the church ran the farm supply/small engine repair shop/septic cleaning service/Polaris snowmobile operation. All under one roof mind you. The owner was Charlie - built like an oak tree and gentle as a kitten. First time I met him was at his shop. His wife introduces us and he shakes my hand and says, "Well, hello there, Padre." and it stuck. Got folks in town that have known me for almost 20 years that don't know my given name.

Funny how folk do things. I have a feeling if Charlie had decided to call me Petunia everyone in that neck of the woods would call me Petunia. Just life in a small town. :wavey:

Back to the OP. I was raised IFB but spent the first 13 years pastoring in the UMC. That, too, is along story. PM me if your curiosity gets the best of you. Anyway, they had a Liturgy for the Hanging of the Greens that I wouldn't have used if I was a Druid. It did everything except for calling on the Greek goddess Artemis (protector of the woods, Lady of the wild things and the hunter of the gods) Pan and wood nymphs. I knew there was a good reason for owning a paper shredder.

BTW, enjoy your brassica oleracea.

2. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Well! Your life is like a book. Makes me hate mine all the more. Perhaps, LORD willing, one day this side of Glory, I can treat you to some garden fresh, homemade (frozen and canned are to puke for) variety of brassica oleracea. I hear it's 3x less expensive than the Northern variety.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is a more liturgical type movement although some redneck churches do it too.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I did not know where Jawja wus until you started talking about collard greens. Been in South Carolina 53 years and haven't eaten them yet! Now that we are #2 behind China who knows!

5. T Alan

T Alan New Member

WOW! I figured everybody over 50 and South of the Mason Dixon line loved collards and neck bone. Maybe you can join Padre and me when we get together over a mess of em, Lord Willing one day.