1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy About My New Book

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Sevenzedek, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Sevenzedek

Sevenzedek New Member

I recently discovered Matthew Henry's book entitled METHOD FOR PRAYER. I received a copy and I have found it to be quite useful during my times of prayer. The idea behind the book is very scriptural.

Praying was very important to Matthew Henry, so he compiled a copious amount of scripture to be used in prayer. If we use scripture to pray the promises of God in prayer, we are much more likely to pray according to his will.

This book helps me to think scripturally when I pray. Perhaps others would benefit from this book.

As with all things God-glorifying and lawful, we stand in danger of using the book in a way that hinders our prayers. But I still recommend this disciplined approach to prayer.

Some would argue that we should just be free in the manner we approach God. I agree and still recommend Henry's book. Think of the guitar player would like to play any song impromptu. Can he play freely without first disciplining himself to play the notes correctly? In the same way, there is a correct way to pray to God—according to his will. I don't think we can pray according to his will without being disciplined in the word of his will—the bible.

What do you think about this "method for prayer?" Below is a link to the happy little book. What say YE?

http://www.christianbook.com/a-meth...tt=553092&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

2. Sevenzedek

Sevenzedek New Member

Has anyone ever heard of this book?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't but thank you for mentioning it! Hubby is studying prayer right now for a sermon series on the topic and I'll mention this book to him. I see it's only 99 cents as a Kindle edition which makes it really likely it will end up on my Kindle by the end of the day. :)