1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Happy Birthday to The Old Man!

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by JGrubbs, Jan 18, 2005.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

[​IMG]

January 19th is the anniversary of the birthday General Robert E. Lee. Whether you are in the North or South, here are some ways you can remember and celebrate the life of this Southern gentleman:
    </font>
    • Read a biography of Robert E. Lee. Or better yet, explore some of his own writings; they'll always give you more insight into a character than a second-person rendering.</font>
    • Take a trip to Virginia and tour Lee's homes: Stratford Hall Plantation, where he was born; the house in Alexandria where he grew up; and Arlington House, now known as the Robert E. Lee Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery.</font>
    • Visit the Old Hall of the House of Representatives at the U.S. Capitol. There you'll see a statue honoring Lee as an outstanding citizen by the state of Virginia.</font>
    • Fly to Richmond, Virginia, and drive across southern Virginia to Appomattox and cover the same terrain General Lee and his army traversed during the last week of the Civil War.</font>
    Source: How to Celebrate Robert E. Lee's Birthday

I would also encourage you to read Dave Black's article online titled "Why I Celebrate Robert E. Lee's Birthday".

2. delly

delly New Member

Thanks for posting this, J. He was a great man.

3. Turpius

Turpius New Member

Happy R.E. Lee Day!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I flew the Stars and Bars today, but took it down when I left home, for fear some loser would steal or deface it.

NOT the KKK naval ensign that is so often waved. The REAL flag

[​IMG]

5. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

The naval ensign, of which you speak, is also the pattern for the Confederate battle flag which was originally designed to have a cross to reflect our Christian roots. Symbols only have the meaning one gives them and are, therefore, subjective. It does not mean racism or hate to me.

But, I also like the Missouri Battle flag and fly it often. In a lot of southern states, Monday was originally Confederate Heros' day. I don't think it is any mistake that it was replaced with something more appealing to the politically correct atmoshpere that seems to have enslaved us of late. History is what it is and trying to bury it won't make it go away...in fact, its the most certain way to guarantee we repeat it.
    Missouri Flags

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

January is Generals Month:

No less than 4 outstanding Confederate generals were born during the month of January: James Longstreet (Jan. 8, 1821); Robert E. Lee (Jan. 19, 1807); Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson (Jan. 21, 1824); George Pickett (Jan. 28, 1825).

We honor their memory!

LINK: A Salute To Lee And Jackson

7. Kayla

Kayla New Member

Missouri you gotta love her!