1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HARD AS NAILS MINISTRIES !!! Have you heard of them?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 18, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Last night there was a documentary on HBO and also a report on Nightline about the controversial ministry named HARD AS NAILS MINISTRIES !!!

Have you heard of this ministry?

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Never heard of them. According to their web site, their goal is to help young people develop personal relationships with Jesus Christ.

However, since they are admittedly a "Catholic/Christian" organization, they are probably not even real Christians and there must be some evil lurking about because of this.

Said with tongue firmly in cheek.

3. standingfirminChrist

According to news articles, Justin Fatica allows people to hit him with chairs while preaching.

He also points to oberweight people telling them 'you're fat' while preaching... bringing them to tears. Uncalled for

I would not walk across the street to see or hear him.

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I would walk several miles to see him do some of this.

This is more nonsense (and thus potentially entertainment) than WWF, the Harlem Globetrotters, and Barnum & Bailey put together!

Evil men & seducers...

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I have to admit, when I first read it was catholic based I was a little wary but he doesnt seem Catholic at all, and besides I know of some Catholics who are more Christians then most to go to Church on Sunday.

Anyways, his preaching methods are a little crazy but effective. When he yells at the girl he is saying that this is the way bullies look like offending people. He is telling the youth that they should talk to ladies or girls that way because they are part of the Kingdom of Christ.

I also saw that when he took the chairs to the back, he was telling them. You know that hurts right and the kids respond.. .. YESS

He then says.... that is nothing compared to what Jesus did for you. He died on that Cross for you and for all of us and all we continue to do is sin and slapping Christ in the face because of Grace and we need to change.

We cannot judge a book by its cover. At least he has a true passion for preaching the Gospel. Its it crazy at times YES but I think its effective.

If anyone saw the movie.... you would see how many of the YOUTH in Churches today are thinking about suicide. He called everyone up front who thinking of suicide and almost half of the room came up front.

It was amazing!!!

6. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Hello, I saw the movie yesterday. He wasnt yelling at the girl and he didnt make her cry. She was crying because she feels offended when people call her obese. He was telling all of the youth in the room...

"WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF CALLING HER OBESE"?? HUH? TELL ME??

Dont you see that she is a Christian just like you guys and you all act like saints in Church but go out there and sin and call this beaufitul girl these names.

7. standingfirminChrist

NO, I did not see that she was a Christian. She did not make a public profession that she served Christ that I could tell from the movie.

A person is not a Christian just because they go to a religious service any more than a wheelbarrow is a Ford Pickup because it sits in a garage.

The interview clearly said he will point to a overweight person in the audience and tell that person she is fat. And she started crying.

As to the chairs in the back, they cannot even compare to persecution. He is doing that for publicity, it is nowhere near as if he was being beat against his will.

His stunt is no more impressive than the wrestlers who do the same thing.

8. standingfirminChrist

From ABCNEWS.COM

Fatica shakes things up by going to extreme measures. For example, one of his signature moves in a sermon is having someone hit him in the back with a chair while he proclaims his love for Jesus. He believes that he has to "shock the world, one person at a time."
    His tactics are also a type of social commentary. "Look at the culture we live in," Fatica said, explaining why he gets hit in the back with chairs. "You are asking me this question because I'm a religious guy. Why don't you go out and get WWE in the line and ask them every day?" Fatica shocks people in this way not only to grab young people's attention, but to demonstrate suffering and sin.
    adsonar_placementId=1280602;adsonar_pid=60749;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=165;adsonar_zh=220;adsonar_jv='ads.adsonar.com';
    "It's really about love, St. Francis, to show people that he sinned," Fatica said. "Jesus went through it for us, that suffering. We should start caring about it. But when we sin, it hurts Christ, it hurts ourselves and it hurts others."
    His message can seem to contradict his methods. He frequently points to overweight women in the crowd and tells them "you're fat," often resulting in the young women crying or getting upset. Again, Fatica says he's just trying to prove a point by demonstrating the "sins" he believes we all commit.
    "What I'm trying to do is shake them up and help them realize that's how we do treat people," Fatica said. "We put them in a class, put them in categories: 'You're gay, you're fat, you're Catholic.' And we need to start respecting people for who they are, not about what we think they are, and why everybody is important. And that's why I do it."
    Fatica, admits, however, that sometimes this point gets misinterpreted. "I might get some e-mails saying that, they say I'm a jerk for this."

9. standingfirminChrist

Doesn't sound like worship of the God I serve. One attribute of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control. Only place where I find a person bringing harm to themselves in the Word of God is the account of the baal worshipers who 'cut themselves' in their excitement and frustration trying to evoke their god.

This Fatica is deceiving many youth with enticing words and gimmicks.

10. Beachbum

Beachbum New Member

"However, since they are admittedly a "Catholic/Christian" organization, they are probably not even real Christians and there must be some evil lurking about because of this. "

I have to disagree with this statement, I have been to several of the Hard As Nails events and there is nothing fake about them. They are true Christians, the important thing is that they believe in God and they believe Jesus dieD for their sins and they accept him as their savior. There are so many Christian denominations, each one believing their's is the right denomination, who are you to judge that Catholics are not true Christians-isn't it God's job to judge? HAN is leading people to Christ, they are not forcing them to believe, or forcing them into becoming catholic instead of being a different denomination, they just want people to know and love Christ.

Hard As Nails is a great program, it has changed the lives of many of the people I know. maybe before you judge you should research the program further or even go to one of their events.

11. standingfirminChrist

What draws them... will keep them.

When it comes to the preaching of the Word of God, one does not need to purposely get hit in the back with steel chairs to get the Word across. That is nothing more than a gimmic to draw crowds.

Jesus said that He, the Holy Spirit, and the Father would do the drawing, not some wacko getting hit with a steel chair on purpose.

Being Catholic, they are not teaching true Christianity. They teach their prayers to Mary, which is idolatry. Idolatry is not a part of Christianaty... ever.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Beach Bum -- First, welcome to the Baptist Board. Second, thank you for your post. I totally agree with you. Since you are new to the board, you didn't catch my sarcasm. God's best, FOS.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are you so judgemental? How dare you question his motives!
    You mean the same self control King David had prancing through the streets? Or Peter jumping off his boat and swimming to shore?
    You admitted to never seeing him or hearing him...and you yet again demean him. :rolleyes:

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...one doesnt' need to stand behind a pulpit, either. Is that done to draw crowds?

15. standingfirminChrist

I don't read in the Word of God where either Peter or David dislocated their arms in their serving the Lord.

I never said I did not hear Fatica. I said I would not go across the street to hear him.

I heard an interview and was able to make the call by that.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't read where anyone in Scirpture wears suits and ties while serving the Lord, either. This gimmik must be done for publicity...

17. Beachbum

Beachbum New Member

----and what is everyone else doing to get kids interested in learning about and living for God??? When I go to church I am surrounded my mostly adults and young children, teens tend to stray away from church-they need to be brought back to christ He may not be the best in his way of doing it, but then again he is a man- that means he's not perfect!! You probably don't know that out of the hundreds of times he's spoken at schools, retreats and youth programs he's only done this a few times.

------Mary is the mother of God, we owe her alot too, without her, if she chose not to have this child-who/where would Jesus be? I listened to a catholic priest talking a few weeks ago about how he meets weekly to pray with priests/ministers from other religions, such at protestant, baptist, non-denomonational christians, and they asked him why he prayed to Mary, and they who were all taught that it "wasn't right" to pray to mary agreed with what he was saying and understood how important of a person mary is, i dont know the exact reasons he gave. Don't you want peolpe to love you mother as much as they love you, maybe Jesus feels the same way? I'm not trying to say this is what everyone needs to believe, but I'm trying to day that to catholics this is what they believe and they probably look at those of us who dont pray to mary and wonder how people could not be so thankful of the risks she took to bring our god into the world. I think before blasting other people beliefs its important to try to understand why they believe what they believe even if we disagree with it completely. Catholics aren't worshiping mary as a god, they are respecting her as the mother of god, they feel that mary can help them get closer to Jesus and she can also help them, she did raise Jesus whom we are suppose to follow as an example.

18. standingfirminChrist

Mary is not the Mother of God. He was around a long time before Mary was even born.

You need to get your theology straight.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum New Member

Isn't God the father, the son and the holy spirit, making Jesus God, b/c he is one of the 3 parts of God, and mary was his mother, no she didn't "create" him in the terms of yes he was already there before she was, but she did bring jesus on to earth in a human form. So wouldn't this make her his mother? I'm asking this as i question I'm confused about.

20. standingfirminChrist

Again, you need to get your theology straight.

Just as God the Father was in Heaven before Mary was born, God the Son was also in Heaven before she was born, as was also God the Holy Spirit.

Scripture declares in Hebrews 10 'a body Thou hast prepared Me.'

Mary only gave birth to the body, not the deity. She was not the mother of God.

God prepared the body that He would have His Son use while on this earth and placed that body in Mary's womb.