1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hard Question for Catholics

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Mar 11, 2010.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

1. How do these misfires keep happening?

2. How does your proposal fit the - "Not one instance of torture or extermination to be found in the NT church."

That whole thing is kind of confusing.

Where in the world do you see my arguing FOR killing or torture?

My point is that this is NOT what is done in the NT and that there IS no comparison between the orders given in the NT to the theocracy of the time of Joshuah.

What am I missing?

Where was the confusion?

in Christ,

Bob

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If Catholicism was not the state-religion of England, would Bloody Mary Tudor, have acted in the way she did? I don't think so.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Common DHK there is no logic to your statement. Mary of Tudor was Catholic and since she was regent England was Catholic. Which is why Elizabeth had no worries of Excommunication because she was protestant and when she was regent England was protestant. And Since Charles Was Catholic the puritans revolted and put Oliver Cromwell as Lord Protector and since he was protestant and Charles was in exile England stayed protestant. BTW both Elizabeth and Cromwell killed Catholics as well. So how does your argument make sense?

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Take the Presidents of the U.S., the Prime-ministers of Canada. We don't have "state-religions." Without a state-religion such cruelty cannot be enforced. One doesn't have the backing of the church behind him. Even Calvin had a state-church, and was able to get away with that which would be considered atrocious crimes in our society. State-churches are blatantly wrong and only give rise to dictatorial authority of the cruelest nature under the guise of religion.

5. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We live in an age of seperation of Church and State. Such cruelty based on religion cannot be enforced which makes us a bit more enlightened than the systems we replaced. So I agree with you there is a need to seperated the state and civil authorites from religion. Until at least Christ returns and rules judiciously.

6. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Who were the Carthusian Martyrs?
    Martydoms occurred on both sides and to our shame as Christians.

#146 lori4dogs, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010