1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harry Potter and Left Behind are more alike than you might think.

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by mioque, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Erin

Erin New Member

I obviosuly did none of those things because, coincidently you can't do that in real life. However, WHen I said I didn't read/watch them I meant because of the whole good witch/bad witch which some children can see as "oh there must be good witches out there." No witch is a good witch. Witchcraft is of the devil. Point simple. I don't care how it's wrapped up and nicely sent out into the world. What's even lovely, I have a choice whither or not I, or my daughter, have to/want to(?) take part in literature like that. How wonderful that is. If my daughter DOES want to read it. I'll have to deal with that when I come to that...she's only 3 at this point. Of course I'm sure I'll have to tell her the differences between witchcraft of these books and the witchcraft her father practices. And it is highly possible she can be curious about witchcraft because of those books. Example: "Wow, it looks so cool in the books maybe I'll check it out in real life." And end up dabbling or something. No thank you.

2. Erin

Erin New Member

Now, I'm not saying we should ban the HP books/movies or have a bonfire. Not in the least. And they do have good moral values in them. Good witches winning over the bad ones. It's the witch part that bothers me. Because there is no such thing as a good witch, in real life. I've met nice witches, and nice pagans. But these things are detestable to the Lord.

".... as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. "

I see parents reading HP books to their kids. My brother and sister in law did that to their kids. And they enjoyed them. Good for them, I say. They are actually reading to their kids and spending time with their children. How wonderful is that?! I however, read a children's bible to my daughter each night, or almost each night. She enjoys the stories just as much as she would Harry Potter.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

That's all I'm gonna say about that.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm the church librarian -- we don't have HP, but I have read them all -- we do have Left Behind that take up nearly an entire shelving unit now with all the copies. I don't like them. The first few were poorly written and in no way "captivating" to me as the reader.

I did notice that for the first 1/2 dozen books there was a huge waiting list as soon as the publication date was announced. But soon after that, people quit inquiring as to when the books would be purchased & processed. I've waiting until the last couple of books went on sale before I bought them. Seems to me at the very least the authors drug the series out too far.

I've thought about cleaning out the collection as the 6 copies of each of the first few books take up a ton of shelf space, but periodically, these first books become popular again and fly off the shelf for a while.

4. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

I am not sure how 2 Thessalonians 2:11 can be claimed to conclusively defend the point made by ccrobinson.

Once again, there are several fitting interpretations, and when that is the case, choosing one and claiming all others are wrong is foolish. However, without that practice, we wouldnt have demoninations, would we?

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

It almost sounds like you're implying that I stated that all other interpretations of 2 Thessalonians 2:11 are wrong.

If so, please show where I stated such.

If not, please disregard this message. [​IMG]

6. DesiderioDomini

ccrobinson,

Here is your post where I feel as though you are claiming that the view of left behind is proven to be wrong:

You said it "contradicts", and I disagree. However, it seems as though I have misunderstood you, so would you mind explaining how you feel this verse debunks the left behind view?

Let me say also that I enjoyed the left behind books, but I dont necessarily accept that view of revelation. I am proudly riding the fence on this one, I spent a while studying it and felt God calling to me study other things, and not concern myself with that section. I am in no way condemning those who do study it, only that God has not called me to it. My point for becoming involved is I am curious as to how some christians come to such ironclad "this is the truth no matter what" on areas which are clearly gray.

In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity.

Also, every belief must be backed by fact, or belief is no better than fiction. I wish to know the fact behind your belief, if you dont mind explaining it. Please dont take this as an attack.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I don't mind explaining at all. It's my belief that once we are raptured, those who are left behind will believe the lies of the Antichrist. Those who have heard and rejected the Gospel prior to the Rapture can't be saved after the Rapture, and I'm pointing to 2 Thessalonians 2:11 as my basis for that.

In Left Behind, we find that the 4 main characters, plus other characters as we go along, had all heard the Gospel before the Rapture, rejected it, then accepted it after the Rapture. I don't think this will happen once the Rapture occurs.

However, I'm not going to die on this hill, so to speak. I don't have enough knowledge about eschatology to firmly land on side or another and not be swayed. You would not be wrong to say that I know enough to be dangerous. [​IMG]

My gripe about what you said is that you seem to be reading more into what I said than is there. I am far from ironclad on this subject.

Believing one interpretation to be true does imply a belief that other interpretations are wrong, I suppose, but when it comes to end times stuff, I am not dogmatic about one view or another. I believe the pre-trib view, but it's not a hill I'm going to die on.

I hope this helps explain where I'm coming from a bit better. [​IMG]

8. DesiderioDomini

it does. thanks for that.

i agree that I took your statements a bit futher than it appears you meant them. I apologize.

However, I am right with you in knowledge on this subject, you know enough to be dangerous, I know enough to know I know nothing.

I have no idea which one is right, and truely couldnt care less! Jesus is coming back, and I am ready for what he sends my way!

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Apology accepted. [​IMG]

And, amen to your last statement! [​IMG]