1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harry Potter, Evil Wizard?!?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by CTTYaz, Dec 13, 2001.

1. JZN

JZN New Member

I just know as a mother of three young boys I dont want them put that stuff into there minds. I know that what they read they dwell on and think and wonder until possible they seek out more. I believe Harry Potter is another avenue for the devil to work in young
    peoples minds and lives if the devil can get our young people he will conquer a great deal more and souls will be lost.

JZN :(

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know squat about HP except what I read on discussions like this. BUT, how does reading /watching HP, for YOU, stack up with the following as a benchmark???

PHP 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

1 true
    2 noble
    3 right
    4 pure
    5 lovely
    6 admirable
    7 excellent
    8 praiseworthy

Pretty high standards, yes?

[ February 09, 2002: Message edited by: just-want-peace ]

3. Sam

Sam New Member

I have not read or seen Harry Potter.My sons don't want to and won't have anything to do with it either.I have seen the previews and that was enough for me.Think about this,If Jesus was to come to your home and sit down to watch a movie with your kids,would you show this one?Something that I have been soul suching about is the name that was picked for the books/movie.A potter is suppose to be used to represnt the Lord.He is the potter and we are the clay.We are to me molded into what he wants us to be.Satan always has a way of taking our eyes off of things.I wonder if potter was used for satan to be considered the potter in molding young minds into what he wants.Does this seem like it could be the case or am I making any kind of since?I feel if something has to be this questionable of good verse evil then you had better stay away from it.I respect the parents who have said "NO" and the children who are God fearing enough to stay away from Harry Potter.Oh,I want to say one more thing.Believe it or not, we have had a couple of churches in our area who have taken the children in the church to see this. :(

4. lidia

lidia Guest

>>>>>I wonder if potter was used for satan to be considered the potter in molding young minds into what he wants.Does this seem like it could be the case or am I making any kind of since<<<<<<<

I think you are a little too paranoid on this and are not making any "since".

5. Sam

Sam New Member

I must be really getting paranoid now.I looked up the word harry(not the actual name)in the webster's dictionary too.I'll let whoever wants to, look it up for themselves.It just kinda seems eery to me.Of course,I am the type of person that try's to put a meaning with everything.There is a purpose for everything under the sun, you know.I'm not saying that the name,Harry Potter" means, what it sounds like to me.I was just thinking out loud,I guess.If we choose to read the book or watch the movie and God is not in it, we will answer to God one day. I for one, will not have to answer for that, if it is wrong. ;)

6. All For Christ

All For Christ New Member

That is sooooo true. I know of 3 young kids, who used to come to my church's AWANA club, who left to join Wicca. It is scary the way Christians especially don't really seem to believe that there is a spiritual battle going on, and the closer we get to the Rapture, the stronger the battle will be. We need to pray like never before that God will protect those inoscent young hearts who don't know these sorts of materials are wrong. We also need to be a light to those around us. God bless you. [​IMG]

7. Bugman

Bugman New Member

I don't understand what is ment by:

"4. Before J.R.R. Tolkein died he visited C.S. Lewis and Tolkein was saved. This does not mean Tolkein could take every Lord of the Rings book and change the content into something that would glorify God."

What is ment by the first sentece? Tolkien was a Catholic. He tried to convert his athesist freind C.S. Lewis into Catholism but instead Lewis became an Anglican and went on to write soem of the best Christain litature.
    Tolkein made it very clear that the books were just that, books, and he didn't want people adding extra meaning to them.

8. CTTYaz

CTTYaz New Member

Just to be on the save side I'm gonna keep away from these books. We'll know the answer when we get to heaven.

9. Sularis

Sularis Member

Tolkien Catholic - If you read all his books from beginning to start you get fantacized Catholicism out - after Illuvatar is the creator - and Gandalf is a lesser god/angel

CS Lewis used Magic - man you people dont read squat these days - there is reference to plain magic - Deep Magic, and Deeper Magic - Santa Claus is personified as an agent of good - and we all know there are people out there who think Santa is Satan trying to warp lil kiddies minds
    Magic healing elixir - special swords and such.

Oz - good witch vs bad witch(es)

ANY book is good or bad depending on the time you as a parent spend with your child explaining the book.

I dont own any of the Potter books but I AM going to see the second movie - the first was excellent

Perhaps people left your Awana program because your Awana program isnt fun. I grew up in Awana 2 years away from Citation myself - closer then anyone in church past and present currently. There were people who should not have been Awana leaders - they didnt know how to make the Bible fun - and yes it can be fun - for young boys at least - COMPETITION - and not only within group but outer Awana group competition as well

11. Grace

Grace New Member

I don't watch Harry Potter (or read the books) and after I saw the previews for the new movie last night, I won't watch it if only because the kid looks like the one kid at my work that I don't like. :D

12. Sularis

Sularis Member

CDgriffin - the griffin is a mythological beast
    much like the harpy believed to be "magical" - ie non-Creator created

As to your Daniel example - lets see if you can remember the refutation that GOD said to Peter - and then if God isnt good enough for you we'll do Paul

Joy 11 -
    PINOCHIO
    Pinochio a puppet becomes a real boy - let alone a puppet walking and talking because of a spell cast on him by a fairy. If that aint magic - well Ill start making Golems - because you said I can because. And then with my massive Christian golem army Ill sweep the world and impose a new order
    CINDERELLA
    A pumpkin becoming a carriage - mice becoming men and horses - the attaining of unearned wealth through the use of magic - and that all of that was temporary
    And then putting on a shoe - magically restoring appearance and again unearned wealth

Superdave
    "Some of it would be OK in adult fiction, cause it just needs to be understood, it may not be inherently wrong, but in kids books I have a problem with some of it. "

That's a load of well I tried using polite forms for it but they kept getting edited - Simply put what's good for us is good for them - they just need someone to help them assimilate it more. Id love to see you justify that above statement you made

UltraWebmaster and the VeryBaptistChild

You both called someone who may have been a Christian a pagan - since some not all Catholics are Christians - and yet you wont even consider that your viewpoint is causing you to commit this extremely offensive act - Me you can call pagan and disfellowship me- because you can follow Biblical procedures - but a guy who wrote a classic book - and as such defined the genre of fantasy

I just wish you people could again realize something is fictional - and enjoy it as fiction but realize that the reality is something to be guarded against - I can understand if you dont want your kids to watch it - because you dont have the time or resources to properly explain things - but some people do - and that asking for help doesnt make you less of a Christian or a bad person.