1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by CTTYaz, Sep 30, 2002.

1. CTTYaz

CTTYaz New Member

What are your thoughts about the harry potter books, movies, and merchandice? Do you see this as witchcraft or harmless fake stuff and magic. Please share with me your thoughts and ideas. [​IMG] :confused:

2. I believe the books are wicked. They may teach a few good qualities, but they also teach witchcraft and sorcery ,and if someone would like to teach their child a good quality, they should not use a wizard and his witch friends to do it.Their symbols and terms are athentic.Children should not be exposed to something so wicked and be told that it is fun to have powers and to be a wizard or witch.The woman who wrote these books did study witchcraft and the occult.She knows what she is writing about. When did Christians start supporting the witches!?

3. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

I see nothing irrational about the view that this is glorification of the occult. Many Christians believe they can use harry as a springboard to the Gospel but I feel that is too dangerous. And yes we can have a great discussion right here about the issue. I welcome anyones views pro or con about that little warlock.
    Murph

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Their symbols and terms are athentic.

Oh, that's sooooo untrue. I was told by another individual that the spells in the books/movie are real spells and incantations. JK Rowling made them up, and gave them latin-sounding words to make them sound cool. I'm not sure what symbols you're referring to, either. Owls? Broomsticks? Dragons? They're all folklore, and I've never known of any witches that really fly. My guess is that the "Wizard of Oz" probably has more basis on fact than the Harry Potter books and movies.

However, if anyone can find a book of incantations that have Oculus Repairum listed, I'd be interested to see it.

Now, on the other hand, I disagree with people who try to use Harry Potter as somekind of springboard for spreading the Gospel. It's simple entertainment, and should be left simply at that level. The only glorification of occult is that which we ourselves give it.

[ December 02, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Johnv ]