1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has anyone finished "Brothers, we are not professionals?"

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Daniel David, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I am reading this right now. It is excellent (as are all works by Piper).

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read it, but I like what the title seems to convey. Can you tell us more about it?

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The ministry is quickly becoming a professional job. It isn't. The pastor is not a CEO (Chief Executive Officer for any Raider fans [​IMG] ). I am really getting alot from it now.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About how much would we expect to pay for it?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I received a free copy of it from Lifeway Christian Stores just for completing an e-mail survey that they sent to me! Unfortunately, I received it right at the beginning of the current semester and with all of the assigned reading I have not had time to read it. I'll get to later this spring.

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looked at a copy today at a local bookstore. Looks like an interesting read, but I left it there since they had it priced at $14.99. I'll hope to find a cheaper copy.

8. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one cannot afford the cost of this book you can work it out with Desiring God Ministries to receive it for free. I've read the book,it is excellent,as all of Piper's books are,but this one really stands out as a challenge and a rebuke!

9. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Still working through it . . . .

10. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

I'm one of those geeky layman types who loves to read this type of stuff too.

I would recommend this book to all of the laity. Piper's plea to pastors can only go so far. Those in the pew have a responsibility to avoid placing the type of demands on pastors that tempt a pastor to move in the direction of the CEO.

"Imagine what a church could accomplish if not for members."

11. stevekerp

stevekerp New Member

We are NOT Professionals

Hi -

I just finished Piper's book and it's excellent. It deserves more than one reading and, since it's a philosophy of ministry, it would probably be most effective if everyone in the church who is in a leadership role, or aspires to be so, become familiar with it.

In my former church, the philosophy of ministry was getting people saved. A steady diet of the plan of salvation followed by application messages to live an abundant Christian life. And there was a huge response, but people were going out the back door about as fast as they were coming in the front. Our senior pastor revisited the scriptures regarding the operation of the early church and saw an emphasis on discipleship that was a lot stronger than what our church was practicing, so he went to the elders and said he felt we should make a course correction, abandon some of the Willow Creek emphases, and become more of a discipleship church.

And the elders said 'no.' That to say this: everyone in leadership must at least be speaking the same language, must understand what the others are saying and why they are saying it.

By God's grace, I will start a home study group centered on Piper's book. The church-as-a-business model is a stellar success if success is measured in worship band decibels, building programs, and community visibility. But it's a failure when you consider pastoral burn-out and the real spiritual impact of almost all churches on the communities they serve.

Steve
    transitioncoachingforall.com

12. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I wonder why Piper has to say about "Rick Warren" philosophy and methodology.

13. stevekerp

stevekerp New Member

Piper and Warren

Hi, Alex --

Warren's name never came up. Purpose-Driven Church was originally published in 1995 but was re-published in 2002 and that's about the time it really started to get traction in the Christian marketplace. I first heard of it in 2003. Piper published in 2002.

Warren's is a business model transparently modelled after the business ideas of Peter Drucker, so there isn't much doubt in my mind on what Piper thinks.

Best,

14. Alex Quackenbush

Well, maybe the pendulum will swing the other way. People, even God's people, are so easily duped. Dr. this and Dr. that and Mister this and Brother that all want to be the smartest guy in the room with the newest insight, all to the damage of the souls of believers. Gimmick this and Gimmick that.

While I don't accept Reformed Theology, I certainly accept Piper's Ecclesiology in this area.

15. stevekerp

stevekerp New Member

Reformed?

Piper is the senior pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. Does that make him Reformed? Or were you referring to one of his other books?

Steve

16. Alex Quackenbush

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is the Piper is a Reformed Baptist.

Here is an article from his church describing themselves and himself as such:

Bethlehem Baptist Church Article

And from the article about their position that hold to the 5 points of Calvinism here is a quote:
    So since the church itself describes itself as "Reformed" and Piper is the Pastor and clearly supports this and does not contend with this, then I consider his Reformed by all good reason.

#16 Alex Quackenbush, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I read this book and I'm a layman. I highly recommend it to all pastors.

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've got it on my desk in my "Read ASAP" pile...hopefully before the year is up i will get that done.

19. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Moved it up in the pile and i'm reading it now. I like how it is laid out in daily readings; i've been reading it during my personal Bible study time.

20. andyc

andyc New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brothers, We Are Not Professionals is one of the best pastoral ministry books I have read. I rate it as highly as my other top picks: Spurgeon's Lectures to my Students, Baxter's Reformed Pastor, and Lloyd-Jones' Preaching and Preachers.

You can read parts of BWANP here:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByTopic/69/