1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has anyone heard about Grace Baptist College in Gaylord, MI

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Go Hyles!!!, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Hyles!!!

Go Hyles!!! New Member

Just wondering if anyone has heard of this Grace Baptist College. Does anyone have any advice on it?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

you attend there, why don't you tell us how they're doin'?

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

ditto:wavey:
    Why ask for advice about the school you're attending?

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

How do you guys know he is attending there?

Jamie

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Jamie,

because a few days ago, in the "what college did you attend?" thread, he wrote that he was currently attending Grace Baptist College, under Dr. Jon M. Jenkins.

I mean, Im going to assume that he's not trying to be disingenuous, but really wants to know what other people think of his college.........and the president of his college..........and those who speak there in chapel - like Pastor Marty Braemer.

otoh, no one from there has responded yet, so I figured he could tell us what it's like there.

I have to say though, Im on another forum board with someone else from the church in Gaylord, MI which runs that college - they seem to be very nice people..........

#6 bapmom, May 9, 2007
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Ah.. ok. I looked at his profile and thought I had missed something. Thanks!

Jamie

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bapmom Response

Bapmom,

I hate to stir up a hornet's nest when the critters are all settled down and all but; why go to a "church school" college under any circumstances?

And why would anyone want an opinion on a school where they themselves are attending?

Can someone help me here please?:laugh:

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go Hyles!! Response!!

Is the "Go Hyles" a cheer for Hyles-Anderson BC?

If "yes," then that would clear up a great deal!:laugh:

sdg!

rd

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

to your first question, there's many reasons why someone would go to a church-run college. Most of them based on their purpose for getting an education. If your purpose for getting educated is in order to equip yourself for church ministry, than going to a college run by a good, sound, ethical church often is an excellent option. By being there you get teaching from men who are right in the thick of ministering themselves, plus you get hands-on experience while still being monitored by those same professors.

Also, when a college is run by the church, the college is led by the church rather than the local churches being led by the colleges - in theology and such. Im not saying that all independent colleges go astray,(I went to one myself), but one being run by a local congregation can be watched over by a church authority in a closer manner.

My own example is MBBC, and in my opinion, this good college has had some troubles in the past which could have been minimized or even avoided if it had had a central, local church authority overlooking things. As it is now it is run by 40 different men from all over the country who are rather busy running their own churches and ministries. Ya know?

Rhet....I understand that you are very dedicated to proper education - and I'd like to put forth the idea that a college's education level does not have to be inferior just because it is being run by a church. (I don't know that this is what you are implying or not - I know that some do.) :)

As to your second question
    yes, why indeed? I have a theory on that......sometimes people think they're going to be given a hard time - and some people relish the thought - so they "bait". Not sure, could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before....who knows.....lol

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

This would not be the say college that refuses to teach Greek and Hebrew because the English of the KJV is good enough is it? I am curious thats all, since you are student GH. Do they teach orignial languages?

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Would any body know if this school has a web site we could look at?:godisgood:

13. Go Hyles!!!

Go Hyles!!! New Member

Not yet. Our focus is on becoming (for lack of a better term) "experts" on the English KJV. We are certainly not against learning the origional languages. For right now, I'll just reference E-Sword!:type: :laugh:

As to why I started this thread, I really don't get out much, and I just wondered if anyone anywhere had heard of the college, or my pastor, Jon Jenkins. You guys are geniouses! I should have known better.:( SORRY!!!

14. Go Hyles!!!

Go Hyles!!! New Member

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Rhet, you know better!

Aw, come on Rhet, that's not fair. You're picking on Bapmom because you really know better--you're too savvy not to know. I think you would be favorable toward TTU (founded at Highland Park Baptist Church) and LU (founded at Thomas Road Baptist Church) but both began and are still to some degree "church schools" with university status. Although I am not old enough to remember the beginnings of TTU, I can remember when LU was Lynchburg Baptist College meeting in a church building in 1971. BTW, both TTU and LU have common roots in the soul-winning movement associated with John R. Rice and SOTL of which Hyles-Anderson College and Grace Baptist College are offshoots. They have branched in different directions but they do share some common roots. Thus, some comparisons are valid. There are quality and credible church-run post-secondary schools--Central Baptist Seminary (http://www.centralseminary.edu/index.asp?m=23) is one that comes to mind readily.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Its nice to meet you, Go Hyles!!!

:wavey:

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Then to answer the part of your OP regarding advice, I rould reccomend a college where you can learn the original languages for you will be able to exeget the Scriptures better than you could with just an understanding of English. Even though the KJV is a great translation, no translation supersedes the original languages in regards to clarity of communicated truth.

If you are a strong KJV fan and you prefer a college that has that emphasis, I would recommend Ambassador since it has the "flavor" of which you are familiar (and seem to prefer).

If you are looking for a more balanced approach to theology from a fundamental prospective I recommend Maranatha, Northland and Pillsbury.
    For what is worth that is my advice. Nice to meet you by the way. I pray the Lord uses you in whatever way brings Him the most glory.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    closing - old thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.