1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has anyone studied...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Jan 29, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...any history of music controversies in Baptist churches in England and early America? Here's a short from Leon McBeth on what was probably the first controversy - whether to sing at all!

2. Pete

Pete New Member

hmmm times sure have changed. I wonder if for the better :confused:

Will go digging on topic later, thanks rlvaughn [​IMG]

Pete

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I love Christian music (the old fashioned kind). I defintely think it enhances our church services. It uplifts my spirit and is calming. "Music soothes the savage breast".

I have my Gospel Quartets playing most of the day in my home. It seems like I get more done and stay in a much better frame of mind than having the 'boob tube' on all the time.

I still believe my mother was right when she told me as a young child, "When you sing to God, you are praying twice".

[​IMG]
    Sue

[ January 31, 2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: I Am Blessed 16 ]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the early Church met, it was for fellowship in the Word of God, prayer, communion, et al.

Jewish feasts like Passover had singing of Psalms as part of the service. The regular services in a synagogue had a cantor and lyrical recitation of Bible passages.

But the Bible, while not giving us examples of singing in the church meeting, does say to teach and admonish one another in Psalms (Scripture songs), Hymns (Worship/Praise) and Odes that are Spiritual (Secular songs with Godly content).

I cannot see why the early Baptists would fuss or fight over inclusion of any/all of the Bible-endorsed types of music.

Wait a minute. Most Baptist don't need a REASON to fight, do they? :eek: