1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has free speech been criminalized under Patriot Act??

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by BobRyan, Jul 14, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 BobRyan, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  2. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my belief. The Patriot Act was enacted on OCT 26, 2001, less than two months after 9/11. This was a 1,000 page+ document and was obviously written before 9/11. In 1989 Paul Wolfowitz published a document calling for changes to the American military. He supported an invasion and occupation of Iraq but doubted that the American public would get behind it "unless another event like Pearl Harbor" occured. Well, what would you call 9/11?

3. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Ok, Susan Lindauer said in that video that Kadaffi wasn't involved in terrorism. I disagree. She also said Obama was pulling troops out of Afghanistan so that we can go into Libya (paraphrased). That was in 2012 I think. This would imply that we are planning a massive invasion of Libya with ground troops.

So far that has not been true. There has been no massive ground invasion and we apparently don't have a lot of troops there now. In fact, we have so little security in Libya right now that the whole Benghazi affair blew up in our faces and we were using Libya security to protect our people. Huge mistake imo.

Lindauer has some problems. In 03 she was accused of conspiring to act as an unregistered agent of the Iraqi intelligence service. She was also found mentally unfit to stand trial in 2 separate hearings. In 09 all charges against her were dropped, but from that video one can see she's just not ....right somehow. I think she's mentally ill.

However, I do agree with Lindauer that the people we were trying to help at the time in Libya were connected to Al Qaida. I also think this is happening again with the Syrian Rebels. So she was right about that.

Anyway, it does look like the Govt went after her after she tried to get Andrew Card to deliver a letter to the POTUS which urged him to not invade Iraq. I cant imagine she was arrested for this though. She was charged with "acting as an unregistered agent of a foreign government". She also was forced to undergo psychiatric evaluation. But the fact that all charges were dropped in 09 indicated the FBI didn't have much of a case. Lindauer may have just been the squeaky wheel and the Feds wanted to silence her, I dunno.

This would not be the first time the govt has tried to silence someone. I recall a case where the CIA was experimenting with the effects of LSD in the 50s and 60s in project MKUltra. Some people died in these experiments and at least 1 guy (Frank Olsen) was given LSD without his knowledge. He wound up either jumping or falling out of a window in NYC a few weeks later. The circumstances of his death were very mysterious.

I still wonder about the guy that made a video that the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton blamed for Benghazi. I think that guy is still in jail.

So I dunno if the Patriot Act initially made freedom of speech a crime, but its starting to look like it now. (And this is coming from a guy who had always stood by our country and is in no way a radical). But things are starting to look strange aren't they?

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Things started to get strange decades ago. But very few people noticed. Matter of fact most of the "news" we are getting today was reported on years ago. Those of us that tried to calll attention to it were called "conspiracy theorists" and "nutcases". Most of the things that are being noticed and discussed today is old news to us "nutcases".

Most folks just buried their head in the sand and got lost in partisan bickering matches blaming the other side then losing interest by the next news cycle.

#5 poncho, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  6. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

Wisconsin Rep. James Sensenbrenner (one of the author's of the Patriot Act) has blasted Deputy Attorney General James Cole for his department’s interpretation of the Patriot Act, which gives the government the ability to obtain business records relevant to an ongoing terrorism investigation.

This is a bit different from what we are talking about but what I noticed was that this administration apparently is not using the Patriot Act in the way it was initially meant to be used. So it wouldn't surprise me if someone used the Patriot Act to limit Free Speech these days.

Man, if the American People don't purge the govt from the Secular Progressives and whatnot, our country is in bad trouble.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The government doesn't need the patriot act to end free speech. All it needs is a divided population to timid or frightened of the government to speak out against it.

The denocrats accuse those who speak out against Obama of being racists. The republicans called those who spoke out againt Bush unpatriotic and accused them of siding with "the terrorists". Now we hear how the government is reading our emails and listening in on our phone calls. The results of these things combined is a chilling effect on free speech. People are afraid to speak out or question the government.

Those who blow the whistle on government courrption and crimes are branded traitors and either hounded or gagged in the name of "national security" in order to protect the criminals and persecute the whistle blowers.

It all amounts to mass mind control that keeps us divided and submissive. Free speech is of little use while we are a nation divided. The most we can use it for is to argue amongst ourselves until the nation falls. And even then I suspect we'll blame the other side for it.

#7 poncho, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013