1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has meth affected minisrty in your church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SAMPLEWOW, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Samplewow, you don't need to make alot of sense. I can tell you have a huge HEART for Jesus. I can tell you are SOOOOOO thankful for how he has changed your life. And I can tell you mean well in all you say and do.

Keep it up, your doing just fine [​IMG] I have learned not everyone will agree with me or you. You just write according to your convictions. If God wants any changes in what you or I believe, or anyone else. I have total faith he will bring that about, in HIS perfect time. I have learned alot on this board. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive mentioned this before in another thread, but it fits better in this one. There is a program started by a church in Illinois called "Reformers Unanimous." It is an addictions program based strictly on the Bible. It attempts to draw the addict into a real relationship with Jesus Christ and give them real, Biblical tools to help them fight any and all addictions they may have.

I urge you to look into starting a chapter at your church. It is run somewhat like AWANA, in that there are individual chapters started and run by individual churches, but they offer support and materials from a central office.

It is having great success all over the country. If any of you have a burden in this area, then PLEASE, look into this.

http://www.reformu.com/

3. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Thanks bapmom, I went to the site . whating to here back from them

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Great!

My husband and I work in our local chapter. We run the Kid's Program. Its been really great to see people's lives impacted through their getting to know Jesus better, and overcoming these addictions.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Sagwoman,

I didn't mean to sound like I am downplaying it, but it sounds like it is very out of control where you are.

We have done strong talks against all drugs since most of the children in our area were in kindergarten, and parents and community leaders are educated on the drug.

This is why the laws restricting access to cold medicines were passed. Meth requires certain elements that can be found in cold medicine, so now these things are not on store shelves. They are locked behind pharmacy doors and signed for, just like any narcotic.

Our schools have the zero tolerance laws, they do the locker checks, and the random drug dog searches. Our faculty and staff members don't "look the other way."

As to robbery by gunpoint - that's been happening for drugs since I was a child many many years ago. The drugs change, but the addicts don't.

The city literally bull dozed down the area of town where the methlabs started showing up, and they built beautiful new apartments.

It isn't eradicated in my town, but honestly, the time to stop is before it starts, not after it takes over your city.

Ecstacy is the danger to the youth in my area because the kids think it is harmless.

6. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

TexasSKY, I'm sure glad to here that there are places doing something about the meth problem ,the sad thing is most placesare not doing much because they don't understand how bad this drug is.Please don't get confortable because the drugs are locked up .there are THOUSANDS of recipes for the making of Meth on the internet that don't us cold tablets. This drug meth is not a narcotic by the way . I,M not trying to be a smarty pants I'm just trying to get peoples minds working together, we as Christians should be doing everything we can to work towards the same goal; To bring many to Christ and make this world a better place to live. big T Sky ,did you no that 25% of children 13 and older have been drunk at least once. Anyway ,It you sound like you know quite a bit about the problem, please share everything you no about meth with everyone you know.

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The fact is, the problem starts for a lot of other reasons that have nothing to do with drugs or peer pressure.

Studies show that kids who have a close relationship with their parents, and who feel loved and trusted, and who can share open communication with their parents are less likely to become abusers of any drug.

A lot of parents are so busy with their careers, their own friends, their own problems, or even their own churches that they don't really listen to their kids, and their idea of talking to their kids is lecturing. That will drive a child to abuse quickly.

You have to teach your kids hard lessons that many parents don't get. You have to teach your child that they are loved by you and by Christ, and that they don't need to search for love and acceptance outside the home.

If you are a parent that is always worried about people around you "liking you "and "approving of you".. in a worldly way - your child is going to want to be accepted in a wordly way.

If you care more about the house being spotless than you do that your child is feeling lonely and depressed - you have a problem. You've taught the child they are less important than the impression the house makes.

If you are so busy entertaining the boss that you don't know your child's friend, you may be shocked to find out that friend lead your child into trouble.

If you can't listen without lecturing or putting down, your child can't share what you need to know. I'm always alarmed at the number of kids who approached my children and asked them to ask me to tell their parents some issue in their life because they were afraid if they told them, the parents would explode. I had a reputation for catching the parent's explosion and talking them into rational reactions. (Rational doesn't mean telling the kid its fine and okay. Rational means letting the kid know that they are loved despite discipline being needed.)

Kids need to know they can trust adults, and that trust has to include listening to the child's side.

I love these new commercials that have hollywood stars asking you to list stats about their shows and then asking them to name something about their child.

The flip side is loving the child enough to admit the child can be wrong, and to explain why you are correcting that wrong.

Remember the old "Andy Griffith show" ? Andy never punished Opie without making sure Opie knew WHY. Too many parents strike without explaining why.

8. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

TexasSky,I beleiveyour right on !
    Now lets help the chidren that don't have a dad like you . You Ihope understand are thee exception . Most kids out there don't have dads like you.

9. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

This is a huge problem in Hawaii. In fact, the last statistics shown, saw this state as the #2 in the nation of meth related issues.

What is worse, that parents are doing it.

All I can do is try to reach the children via DARE (I teach it) and pray. Let us hope that is enough.

10. patrick

patrick New Member

Where I am at now the meth problem is just getting here. Where I was at in Alabama about 92% percent of all arrest was meth related.

Stats show recovery from the drug is low. only about 20 % of all people who are clean for 3 years will stay clean. They say you just don't get over the first try.

I know people who God has delivered from the drug and are now telling there stories to youth across north Alabama.

The town where I was at before moving to Georgia was covered up with the drug. By mine and the principal best guess about 65% of the kids in high school were using.

It is a recipe straight out of hell. It is the most addictive drug man has ever dealt with.

11. BM

BM New Member

My husband and I are involved with a Ministry in our area called John 3:16 Ministries. It is a spiritual based 6 month-1 year program for men with drug and alochol addictions. My brother-in-law was an addict for years and 10 years ago turned his life over to the Lord and enrolled in a program in Southern Ar. similar to ours.

He had a vision for years to start a ministry and 2 1/2 years ago it came true when he located 32 acres with several cabins and a home on the land. We then sought out 8 Christian men that were willing to form a board and help see this vision come true.My brother-in-law and his wife gave up every thing to move to the camp and minister to these men. We started out with 1 man and now have 20, ranging in ages from 19-60.Drugs can affect anyone. We have had men from highly respected homes to the homeless. We charge nothing (Jesus already paid the price)! We have about a 70% success rate so far.

We have several different things going on at the Ministry all Bible related. We are supported by 34 churches and numerous indiviuals. If you would like more information on this Ministry you can e-mail me.

We have never got to watch the Lord work in such an awesome way as this Ministry. We witness men's lives being changed and families restored on a daily bases. We are praying that there will be one of these camps started in each county in Arkansas. If your ever in our area please come and visit with us! I am not trying to promote the Ministry just letting people know that things can be done about this problem through Jesus Christ!

Meth is a very serious problem so we ask for your prayers as we try to do the Lords work.

........ Sister in Christ, Becky

12. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Hi,Becky
    I will e-mail you, Ithink it's great news that God is at work in Arkansas. I hope someday to be used of God just as you folks are . I'm in school now trying to get the bible knowlege I'll need to be a good witness for Christ. thanks for taking the time to post.

13. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

ha,Becky
    I tried to e mail you but I couldn't get it to work.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Meth is a MAJOR problem in our county. I know of a number of church members who no longer use drugs.

Our 28 year old son has retained a message on his cell phone from a young man who got 'caught' at their work and has checked himself into a clinic. It's heart wrenching to hear but a great reminder that Satan wants to destroy us in anyway he can, using Christians, non Christians, friends, family, drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, etc.

15. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Your right Diane,
    Satan does try hard to destroy us BUT praise God I know how it all ends.God wins! we must always remember that.

16. BM

BM New Member

Samplewow, I sent you a message with my e-mail. I don't know why you couldn't get through. I am suppose to have it where I can be e-mailed. I am willing to share any info I can with you about our Ministry!

...Becky....

17. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Hi BM

I have a lot of school work this week "mid terms" so I will get back to you this weekend. Thanks! [​IMG]