1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

has the church gone sissified?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Aug 6, 2010.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hesitate to even ask this because I believe so many will answer what I am NOT asking, so please read and then answer carefully.

I was discussing the thread about the message possibly having changed with dh at lunch.

In his opinion, part of the problem is that the church has sissified.

He made it plain he was not talking about women's ordination, women's role in the church, or about women at all.

And he made it plain that a feminine woman or girl is definitely not sissified.

And he is not talking contemporary services vs traditional, dispy vs reformed, or those issues we often focus on.

Best he could explain it is take three little boys on a playground. One is all blood and guts and bandaids, and nobody would think of calling him a sissy.
    One is all scientific inquiry, logical thinking, really bookish, but nobody would think of calling him a sissy. One, however, may or may not be good at football and may or may not be bookish but he is definitely sissified. Scared of his own shadow. Ready to run if anyone says boo. Will do what anyone tells him to do because he is deathly afraid if he doesn't they might DO SOMETHING, although he really has no idea what they might do that would hurt him.

So we toss it out to you all to answer: do you believe Baptist churches in your particular area are sissified?

I'll start--taking our larger region which includes 4 churches, I would say 3 are sissified and 1 is not.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. But I think Churches have become more like country clubs and are more conserned about membership for money than anything else.

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

First, who is the "he" you are talking about, or do you just like talking in the third person? You sound like Bob in the sitcom Becker.

Then, how would someone relate these hypotheticals to local churches in their area?

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Robert here is your answer.

I was discussing the thread about the message possibly having changed with dh at lunch.

dh is dear husband, she told you up front.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I did not know which thread this was referring to and I hate Internet lingo, like dh, which I had no idea meant dear husband. Is it really that difficult to type English words?

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh stop you silly

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thought it was Darling Husband....maybe Dumb Husband? I dont know

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I thought it was "dah bunny." With an H though.

dah bunny
    day bunny
    woooo i ate dah bunny
    I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just dah bunny...
    dah bunny, dah bunny oh i love dah bunny
    but now i feel real sick in the head from dah bunny
    (gotta love veggie tales!)

Dah hunny, dah hunny, wooo I ate dah hunny....

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Totally depends on the context. There are a few other "d" words it can mean too. ;)

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont know Ann, you probably have a much more vivid imagination than I do....:smilewinkgrin:

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what does "GINA" mean?

Great
    Individual
    Needs
    Attention ?

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate the lingo, too. I used to hear ladies talk on the net all the time about dh and dd and ds. :1_grouphug:

I had no idea what they were talking about. When I finally interpreted it all, I felt stupid. :tongue3:

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must be a mutta

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nah - I go on some secular boards so I have heard a number of translations. :)

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But are the translations as good as King James? :tongue3:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

NOTHING is as good as the KJB!!! :thumbs:

17. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

I do believe many churches have worldly mindsets. In fact, applying the word "sissified" to churches probably indicates a worldly point of view, IMHO.

peace to you:praying:

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If you will, be more specific. What leads you to classify them as sissified? Exactly what do they do or don't do to warrant that description? What is the difference between them and the one that's not sissified.

19. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tom--thanks for responding.

I would say the non sissified one just calmly and quietly proclaims the gospel. That isn't always popular in today's world, but they do it.

I would say the sissified ones are more concerned with how people feel about the church and the church people than with speaking the truth in love.

Both the sissified (IMHO) and nonsissified will use special events to draw folks in--powerteam, sporting events, concerts, seminars on money or childrearing or gardening, etc--but the sissified ones seem content to drop things there. The attitude appears to be "we got them inside a church--yippee. Now, we can't talk about Jesus or sin or salvation or anything remotely churchy or they will leave." The nonsissified uses the same stuff to get them in, and then either they also get the gospel right then and there or uses that attendance to get to know them, get them to Bible studies or church, and give them the gospel.

It isn't style, it is content. Of the sissified, I would say all are "Jesus is my boyfriend" oriented musically. One is traditional and the other two contemporary. So clearly it isn't style but content regarding the music.

I would say the same about the preaching. One sissified is expository, two topical, but all are focused on warm fuzzies.

The nonsissified is blended musically, and the pastor does topical sermons, but you always walk away knowing a bit more about God and with a challenge to respond to Him. The sissified ones seem afraid that telling anyone the gospel might be seen as insulting.

I know the old music better, so best I can illustrate is the nonsissified might sing Old Rugged Cross and the sissified would probably choose In the Garden.

20. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure this is what you mean, but some - and I mean some, not all or even most - of our worship songs are almost lovey dovey with Jesus.