1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has Tim LaHaye?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has Tim LaHaye lost his mind?

I was flipping through the channels on my tv the other night and when I came to TBN, who do you think I saw? I saw Grant Jefferies, Benny Hinn, and Tim LaHaye. In fact, LaHaye was sitting on the couch right beside Hinn. Shaking his head in agreement with Hinn and Jefferies (who wrote a whole book telling us how Y2K was a fulfillment of prophecy).

Whatever happened to doctrinal purity? Whatever happened to the truth?

I am very disappointed.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Maybe he got stuck in an awkward situation and didn't want to be rude.

I'm not a LaHaye fan anyway.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I guess LaHaye doesn't want to get Left Behind. :laugh:

#3 TCGreek, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

MONEY is the reason.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin , a bigger question is : How long have you believed that Lahaye has been doctrinally sound ?

6. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Back when LaHaye wrote and published his Temperaments books he made it clear he was interested in "Fadology" and not Theology.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have known, for more than a few years, that LaHaye was not a theology scholar. His inconsistant views, his never ending "FICTION" series, his taking advantage of public events to promote his views, and other things made me leary of LaHaye some time ago. What really "pushed me over the edge" was his amazon.com endorsement of Dave Hunt's horrible anti-Calvinism book "What Love Is This". Even those Christians who are not Calvinists should be outraged by Hunt's constant errors and poor argumentation. However that did not stop LaHaye from endorsing the book. I wonder if he has even read the thing. His apperance on TBN the other night was just icing on the cake. I have seen him on tv with questionable folks before, in fact I think I once saw him on Benny Hinn's tv show. Personally I believe he is probably making a lot of money and he enjoys the large crowds.

One other problem I have with LaHaye is that he causes serious Bible students, who are pre-tribulational, to have to constantly deal with his craziness. Some Christians who are not pre-tribulational use LaHaye's follies as a weapon to bash all pre-tribulationists over the head (just like they use Jack Van Impe). I, and other serious pre-tribulationalists, are tired of defending ourselves from accusations that we follow Tim LaHaye's teachings. We don't! LaHaye's "Left Behind" books have also caused many Christians to get lazy in their Bible study. After all, they figure, why do we need to study Bible prophecy the hard way when we can pick up a "fun" novel and read it! Such thinking, I assure you, is tragic and dangerous. One example: I recall a few years ago being in a local Christian bookstore when I heard a fellow customer ask for a book on prophecy. The girl who was working in the store walked the lady over to the shelf next to where I was standing. What was on that shelf? Left Behind novels (FICTION)! When the customer asked the girl for non-fiction instead of a fictional novel, the girl actually said "we don't carry those". I was stunned. Why? Because right behind me, less than five feet from this girl, was an entire section of non-fiction books on Bible prophecy (from different points of view). The customer wanted to learn about prophecy and all this poor girl knew about prophecy was Tim LaHaye. I am sorry, but that bothers me. Too many people, like that girl, read LaHaye's book and think it is correct. They forget that the books are nothing but LaHaye's understanding and Jenkin's fiction.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I only wish that were the case :wavey: .

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What were they talking about? To question someone's doctrinal purity because he agrees with Hinn might be a stretch if they were agreeing about abortion.

Hinn and Lahaye do agree about some areas of eschatology. It doesn't make Lahaye right or wrong.

10. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

LaHaye doesn't need associations with Hinn to call into question his plethora of nonsense passed on for solid doctrinal meat.

11. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

Kinda went the way of Jack Van Impe. Fame does strange things to people. Although Van Impe is not that famous.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==They were talking about Bible prophecy. I would never agree to be on the same show (etc) as Hinn (unless I was debating him). Why? Because by appearing with him I would be, like it or not, endorsing him. That is what LaHaye did. By being on that show with Hinn and Jeffery, LaHaye was endorsing those two. There may very well be people out there who normally would not follow Grant Jeffery who will now simply because they trust LaHaye. People with influence must be very careful how they present themselves. Teaming up with a false teacher is never a good idea.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that "teaming up with a false teacher is never a good idea" . It depends on what you mean by "teaming up" . The well-respected , and recently deceased Dr. James Kennedy appeared on TBN a few years ago . I saw it with my own eyes , and couldn't believe it . Even if a sound person appears there all the idiocy surrounds him in that forum .

14. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Appearing on TBN is not the problem. I think we should get as many orthodox teachers on there as we can. The problem is sitting on the show with Hinn and Jeffery and acting like they are good Bible teachers/preachers. There is nothing wrong with being interviewed by or allowing your show to appear on TBN. However there is a lot wrong with sitting there acting like you agree with someone like Benny Hinn. As I said, I would never appear on the same show as Hinn (unless it was to debate him).

I would point out, however, that strong teachers rarely get asked to be on TBN for any reason (John MacArthur, etc).

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Do we know for sure that McArthur, Piper, etc aren't asked OR that they are just smart enough not to accept.

IMHO LaHaye put himself in a bad situation and came off looking badly.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's the first time I saw "Van Impe" and "famous" in the same sentence :laugh:
    In these parts "famous" means you are on 3:00am Tuesdays in between Ron Popeil's spray on hair infomercial and "how to make trillions in real estate with absolutely no money" :D

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But isn't interesting that Tim LaHaye is on the back of Macarthur's book Because the Time is Near, as an endorser.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess that means Macarthur endorses Hinn, then :laugh:

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Guilt by association by association.

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm sure that was the publisher's choice. They aren't always so smart either ;D