1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hate on the Left Surprises Lanny Davis

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 8, 2006.

1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

such as....

2. StraightAndNarrow

Coulter is spinning her downfall as a new kind of terrorist-war McCarthyism. "People are hysterical about speech right now," she told The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz. "Everyone's comments are being taken out of context and wildly misinterpreted." At the risk of further de-contextualization, here are some of Coulter's past comments:

<inappropriate for BB deleted - LE>

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. <deleted - LE> It's yours.'"---Hannity & Colmes, 6/20/01

The "backbone of the Democratic Party" is a "typical fat, implacable welfare recipient"---syndicated column 10/29/99

To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."---MSNBC

<inappropriate for BB - deleted - LE>

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."---Hannity & Colmes, 8/17/99

"I think [women] should be armed but should not [be allowed to] vote."---Politically Incorrect, 2/26/01

"If you don't hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don't love your country."---George, 7/99

"I think we had enough laws about the turn-of-the-century. We don't need any more." Asked how far back would she go to repeal laws, she replied, "Well, before the New Deal...[The Emancipation Proclamation] would be a good start."---Politically Incorrect 5/7/97

"If they have the one innocent person who has ever to be put to death this century out of over 7,000, you probably will get a good movie deal out of it."---MSNBC 7/27/97

"If those kids had been carrying guns they would have gunned down this one [child] gunman. ... Don't pray. Learn to use guns."---Politically Incorrect, 12/18/97

"The presumption of innocence only means you don't go right to jail."---Hannity & Colmes 8/24/01

"I have to say I'm all for public flogging. One type of criminal that a public humiliation might work particularly well with are the juvenile delinquents, a lot of whom consider it a badge of honor to be sent to juvenile detention. And it might not be such a cool thing in the 'hood to be flogged publicly."---MSNBC 3/22/97

"I am emboldened by my looks to say things Republican men wouldn't."---TV Guide 8/97

"Anorexics never have boyfriends. ... That's one way to know you don't have anorexia, if you have a boyfriend."---Politically Incorrect 7/21/97

On Rep. Christopher Shays (d-CT) in deciding whether to run against him as a Libertarian candidate: "I really want to hurt him. I want him to feel pain."---Hartford Courant 6/25/99

"The swing voters---I like to refer to them as the idiot voters because they don't have set philosophical principles. You're either a liberal or you're a conservative if you have an IQ above a toaster. "---Beyond the News, Fox News Channel, 6/4/00

"My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism."---MSNBC 2/8/97

#22 StraightAndNarrow, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

How true: what she lacks in credibility, she replaces with hatespeech. I still cannot believe that she was on the 700 Club. Think about that: ANN COULTER was on the 700 Club!!!

Hope you and yours are doing well,
    BiR

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StraightAndNarrow
    I can't think of any liberal who's as hateful as Ann Coulter.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Was Davis the White House Counsel for Clinton? This just shows how ignorant or dishonest Davis is. I have seen him interviewed, spewing forth the kind of hate he "just realized goes on" from the left. The Clintons' were and continue to be masters of spewing hate from the left, just as many are from the right. For Davis to pretend like this is some sort of surprise reveals that he was utterly unqualified to hold his position, or is extremely disingenuous at best.

What Davis has made a life of doing suddenly became hate when it was a liberal against a fellow liberal.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I haven't seen either Clinton spew hate. Lieberman is not a liberal.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I'm unfamiliar with most on your list, but Molly Ivins and Joe Conason don't even come close.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I have. And how you didn't is beyond this discussion.

Lieberman is a liberal. And he is very liberal. I do not think that, 40 years ago, my cousin would not have talked to him. My cousin was a conservative Democrat. I do not know of many conservative Democrats even in Texas any more.

Most Texans that I know have become Republicans because Democrats have become so liberal.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your opinion.

In their own way, their partisan rhetoric is every bit as nasty as Coulter's. Just not as direct. They like the sucker punch style of attack best.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think this is part fo the point. You don't think they spew hate because you agree with them for the most part. But Clinton took teh "politics of personal destruction" to new lows. The Republicans of the 90s were no sole participators in that. To say that you haven't seen them spew hate is a statement about what you see, not what is actualy there.

Leiberman, in terms of democrats, is a moderate. But he is definitely to the left of center in the political spectrum. He is not a radical liberal, as Kennedy, Kerry, and the like are. But he is certainly a liberal compared to the mainstream.

#30 Pastor Larry, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, provide some examples equal in slimey nastiness to those StraightAndNarrow gave and I'll concede the point.

Hmm, I suppose if you consider criticizing and occasionally ridiculing the opposition to be every bit as nasty as making up outlandish lies...well, then I suppose you have zero discernment.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SandN asked for names. I gave them. I won't accept the burden of educating someone not well enough read to know who these people are. Not being as well known as Coulter doesn't mean they are not every bit as mean and nasty as you think she is.

In Ivins defense I sometimes enjoy her columns. It is because of her cutesy style of writing that she gets away with a lot of nastiness.

She coined the derisive nickname of "Shrub" for the President and routinely makes fun of the President's intellect.

Columnist Molly Ivins referring to President Bush, "Everyone knows the man (referring to President Bush) has no clue, but no one there has the courage to say it. I mean, good gawd, the man is as he always has been: barely adequate." Cute phrasing? Yes, but still a nasty jab.

She's not exactly a shrinking violet when she attacks those she doesn't care for, either.

"I know that sludge-for-brains like Bill O'Reilly attack the ACLU for being "un-American," ..."

Conason, on the other hand, is just a mean nasty purveyor of slime, lies and innuendo. You blindness to it tells one a lot.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW...There's a surprise in the list, Daisy. Just for you.:tongue3:

14. StraightAndNarrow

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Molly Ivins, like P.J. O'Rourke, is sufficiently funny (and able to laugh at herself) that I enjoy her, even when I don't agree with her.

Al Franken used to be that way, but is becoming more Coulterish, and less funny thereby.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

At one time I would've agreed with you, but Molly seems to have had a sip or two of the Kool-Aid, though. Over the last year or so, her columns have just sounded too much like Franken (you're on the right track about him being a fringe hack, like Coulter). Molly isn't too far behind.

Both sides have their hacks who read straight from the party playbook. It's just reality, and a sad one at that.

I'd put Alan Dershowitz on the left's list of haters. Always seems mad at the world. Only difference between he and Carville is you can actually understand Dershowitz. I need subtitles with Carville.

You gotta love America. Carville, Dershowitz, Coulter, Limbaugh, Drudge, Maher, Begala, et.al. can spew their nonsense freely. Now if the masses would only use our brains to filter them out :)

#36 TomVols, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
  17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see anything incongruous about that.