1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have a Beer! It may be sinful NOT TO!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

If you drink alcohol how do you decide when you have had enough? Do you drink until you feel impaired? or quit before you feel impaired?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Quit before feeling impaired.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Being fat and being a glutton are not synonymous. You need to think that through.

There are people who are not gluttonous who are fat and there are people who are very gluttonous who are lean.

There is not in the Bible an ideal weight whereby one can judge if he be a glutton or not and that is because weight and gluttony are not necessarily linked. "Ideal weight" is a man made measure- it is not in the Bible and you should not add it to the Bible.

Furthermore, there are numerous verses in Scripture that speak of being fat in positive terms.

Gluttony is a lifestyle that may or may not manifest itself in being overweight- much like being a sex pervert may or may not manifest itself in public infidelity. A man may cover his perversion. Just so a man may cover his inordinate obsession with food by a powerful metabolism which he inherited or by working it off at the gymn or swimming it off like Michael Phelps does. BTW, I may be a glutton, but I do not consume NEARLY as much food as Michael Phelps does.

Gluttony, just like ALL SINS, are matters of the heart that often, but not always, manifest themselves outwardly.

Being somewhat fat is PROBABLY a good thing. Being rather large with fatness is not something to be reproved unless it hinders one's health and ability to work and function in society.

Gluttony, not being fat, is what is condemned in Scripture. You should know this.

You should also know that DRUNKENNESS not drinking is what is condemned in the Bible.

#23 Luke2427, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Beer, Bronco, beer. That's what the OP is about. Not wine- BEER.

And you are right. Though there are CLEAR medical benefits to consuming alcohol responsibly, this is not the only reason Christians should feel free to embrace the responsible consumption of alcohol.

God gave it to us to make our hearts merry and to enjoy.

That's a very good biblical reason ON TOP OF the health benefits.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are right.

It's not just our experience that tells us this, it is also Scripture.

People who have the most problems with what you eat and what you drink, etc... are the more biblically ignorant people. That's not me that says that. THE APOSTLE PAUL said it.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Very good my friend!

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't even think that is necessary- biblically.

The being impaired part is the very thing that makes merry the heart of man, and according to the Bible that is one of the reasons God gave it to us.

Now, I think it is obvious that Scripture does not advocate a condition of falling down drunk, but it does permit the benevolent effects of drinking alcohol which evidently include those which lighten the heart, relax the body and aid in merry making.

#27 Luke2427, Sep 5, 2012
  8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have a friend who is the king of malaprops. He told me one time he didn't drink, but did take a little wine for municipal purposes.

In case you're wondering what a malaprop is, that's one. If you look it up, you'll find that it came from a character in a Broadway play named Mrs. Malaprop.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Good point. Actually, those with weak faith were those whose faith did not allow them to partake in a certain substance or activity. Those with strong faith were those who were allowed by their conscience to do so.

It's not "strong" in terms of substance, but in terms of what the faith permitted.

10. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I don't care what soteriology you hold to, I think we'd get along just fine if you lived in my part of of the country. We'd be out on my boat this Friday talking theology and drinking a brew. :thumbsup:

Maybe even a cigar? :laugh:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I was referring to in regards to being impaired was drunkeness (speech, motor skills, etc.). I agree the euphoric feeling is not sinful, if it were anything that felt good would be sinful.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Make mine Maker's Mark and I'm there!

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I bet there is plenty of common ground on a boat in the middle of nowhere :laugh:

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The main problem I have with someone drinking is the negative effect it may have on one's testimony. I find it hard to be a good witness with a Bud Light in one's hand.....but that's me.

It's like all the alcoholic commercials seen on TV. All they show are the people laughing as they "pop a top", dancing on the dance floor, laughing, giving a "hearty cheer" as the drink. They never show those who wake up with a hangover, those who are placed in the backseat of a squad car, those who go on trial for slamming into someone when they had "one too many", all the divorces that alcohol has caused, etc.

If one drinks, they should do it at home.

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If you got someone out in the middle of Lake Erie, I have a feeling you'd be right about everything, even if you entertained a DoG'er....:laugh:

Your motto could be, "agree or walk".....:thumbs:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the Lord said drinking it in His presence was kosher...maybe churches should have taps :)

Your commercial example could really apply to anything. Car commercial showing a family enjoying their new car...they don't show the father driving to his mistress' home at 2am. Friends enjoying a football game...they don't show one who bet their mortgage on the outcome or Vinny coming to his home afterwards to bust up his knee caps.

Fact is drinking is a normal cultural occurrence that can even enhance the witnessing of some. I know it has with me and my neighbor.

#36 webdog, Sep 5, 2012
  17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You have to be patient with me because I am coming out of the "teetotaller" camp. I want nothing to do with it, but I really do find it hard to believe that one can really witness to a sinner with a Budweiser in their hand. I have seen all the negative effects it has had on people, so I abstain. To each their own, I guess.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right.

____

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think you're right. Except I'd join in with my pipe instead of a cigar. :thumbs:

:godisgood:

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Straight or with Coke? :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.