1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have a Beer! It may be sinful NOT TO!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It would help for most people in the world. It would help remove the stigma of stupidity that so many Christians promote with their extra-biblical standards.

Having a Bud with a sinner is probably one of the best ways IN THE WORLD to win some folks to Christ.

You wouldn't 150 years ago. You would have been raised with a more biblical world view than many people have had since the advent of prohibition and Billy Sunday- where MOST Christian men thought what the Bible taught about alcohol- that used responsibly it is a very good gift from the hands of a very good God.

EVERYBODY agrees that drinking irresponsibly is sin. This argument does not apply to ANYBODY on baptistboard.

Or better yet- with sinners in public as Jesus did .

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though it's true gluttony takes on many forms, one cannot be fat unless he overeats. It's that simple.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Woo hoo! Drug-induced euphoria, the gift of God! Just don't go one toke over the line!

The Spirit has already spoken, and has said that it is good NOT to do anything by which your brother is made to stumble. The real question here is who is loved, our selves or our brothers.

Go ahead and have your brewski. I don't care what you do, but your attempts to hallow the satisfaction of your lusts above the moderation and sacrifice commended by the Spirit prompted my response.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, brother, it is not that simple. Few things in the real world ever are.

First of all- who gets to define what it means to be overweight? You?

Secondly, who gets to define what it means to over eat? You? Is eating until you are full a sin? Because when Jesus fed the 5,000 he did so until they reached a condition the bible defines as "they were all filled."

Thirdly, is Michael Phelps a glutton since he eats WAY MORE than the average VERY FAT person? He is in perfect health though he eats tons more than I do. I am in good health too, btw. My blood pressure is about average. My cholesterol is about average. I can work with the best of them. My blood sugar is perfect.

Defining these things is never as easy as you seem to want to make them.

The point of this op is that people who know more about these things than you or I say that drinking a pint of beer staves off the NUMBER ONE KILLER of men in America.

So, if you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol or any other form of heart disease whether you are fat or NOT- it might be a sin for you to be a teetotaler.

FOOD... for thought. Just consume in moderation is all I ask. :laugh:

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So then don't drink in front of stupid Christians- because that is EXACTLY what Paul meant by weaker brother- dumb Christians. He said there are two types of people along these lines- those that "have knowledge" and the "weaker brothers".

Thanks for the permission- I will. But just for the record, you cannot seem to debate this topic without misrepresenting the other side. This speaks to the weakness of your side. Our side is the one for MODERATION. Your side is the one arguing for abstinence which is the standard of the weaker brother.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Completely wrong. There are many conditions and medications that cause weight gain. It is better to say nothing and be thought ignorant than open your mouth and prove everyone right.

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Legalism is by far more dangerous to someone's testimony. Just consider for a moment how common the complaints are regarding hypocrisy in the church.

I do agree that it is hard to imagine a good witness holding a budweiser. The least you can do is spring for a decent beer. I have been working on two of my neighbors for quite some time. We enjoy trying various micro-brews together.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Well, since beer isn't mentioned in the bible that I can find, and this is a biblical site, I decided the OP was off topic and put it back where it belonged. You don't have to thank me.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Sillyness.

OP's are not in the Bible either.

The baptistboard is not in the bible so I guess the whole site is off topic.

The point, obviously, is that the Bible not only does not condemn the moderate consumption of alcohol but it commends it and so someone with heart disease might actually be sinning by being a teetotaler since studies show that beer may reduce the risk of THE NUMBER ONE KILLER OF MEN by THIRTY PERCENT.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Beer is mentioned in plenty of places in the Bible (strong drink).

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Doesn't matter. It's always tasty.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Nobody believes this besides those who abstain.

14. Bronconagurski

I was just pulling his chain. Besides, in N.C. beer is definitely NOT strong drink. Now mountain dew is a different story.

15. Bronconagurski

Ridiculous OP, and I was just pulling your chain, but I now see you are serious. Sheesh, get a grip.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Okay

____

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm going to ditto Aaron here

Whatever rocks your boat, Luke-----but I'd rather keep treading water in the ocean of time and eternity than to hop in the boat with you!!!

:sleep::sleep::sleep:

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Sorry, I tried to stay out of this one, but this is just ridiculous.

Presuming that Luke is attempting to justify the 'satisfaction of his lusts' by partaking in drink (1) presumes drinking is a sinful lust (question begging), (2) ignores that his view is one of moderation (not yours), and (3) assumes that the Spirit commends abstinence from drink as a sacrifice (grace vs. law; read Galatians).

#58 Skandelon, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012
  19. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Say hello to the other legalists treading along side you, but I'll be enjoying the fruit from the vine with my brother while reading the book of Galatians aloud in hopes that one day you might join us. :wavey:

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And whether it was determined from eternity past or not, I am certain that God will be pleased with our fellowship!

One thing's for certain and we can both agree on it, it is determined that whether or not we get to enjoy it together in this life, we will enjoy it tremendously in the next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.