1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have Any Of You Preachers ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... used a sermon in one or more of your messages that was not yours ? I am not a preacher . But I was wondering about those of you that are . Of course it would require honesty which is contradictory if you stole someone's words in the first place . But perhaps there were mitigating factors involved .

I think we all know about the time Charles Spurgeon away from his own pulpit -- physically sick and feeling depressed -- went to a small church and to his surprise heard one of his own sermons from the mouth of the pastor . He went up to the embarrased man afterwards and thanked him sincerely . CHS said hearing his own words though spoken by another convinced him to keep on in the ministry . It actually comforted him .

Of course others in that red-faced pastor's shoes can not necessarily have that kind of reassurance from the originator of a sermon who " happens " to be an auditor .

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

NEVER! But of course I have borrowed ideas, lifted illustrations, and repeated stories! Well, few of us have truly original thoughts; but the closest I have come to using another preacher's sermon was taking a three-point aphorism made by a Methodist bishop I heard in a camp meeting and turning those three points into a full-fledged message. If we use Phillips Brooks' definition of preaching as the communication of truth through personality, then how could any of us "channel" another personality adequately?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No---but I have been accused of it more than once--as well as being accused of getting my sermons "hot off the internet press"---which is an insult to the accumulation of the library I have built over the last 17 years!!

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Never. I'm too weird for somebody else's sermon to fit my style. If I were using someone else's sermon I'd feel about like someone trying to light a fireplace with a Roman candle.

5. pastorchanon

pastorchanon New Member

Other sermons are good for pulling ideas, illustrations and sermon starters. I too, think it is sort of wierd to preach anothers thoughts.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay . How about a different question ? What preachers , theologians , commentators , and authors have you all drawn on the most for sermon ideas etc. ?

7. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ed

9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

John Killinger

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chuck Swindoll, Rick Warren, Warren Weirsbe
    I heard about the preacher who said he was going to be original or nothing... and he ended being both. [​IMG]

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have never "borrowed" a sermon, but I have gotten illustrations, ideas, and thoughts from others.

It should be no wonder that many messages will sound "similar" if a message is prepared properly from the same passage.

To answer the second question, I have draw ideas from McArthur, Piper, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, and the Puritan's.

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

As an example, I will be preaching this Easter morining at my home church (what an honor from my pastor!) I desired to bring a message on the proper response to the risen Lord and King. As I studied my text (Mat. 28) I found several other messages that dealt with the same idea and I certainly benefited from it in helping me formulate the "direction" I wanted to take. But I did not take those men's words at all.

I see no differnce in reading other men's sermons on a given text and reading commentaries. They both are beneficial.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

OK---I give up!

Adrian Rogers

Stephen Olford

John MacArthur

Arthur Pink

John Phillips

John Butler

From the mouth of the late, great,Adrian Rogers---"If my bullets fit in your gun---load and shoot!!!"

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MacArthur and certainly Arthur Pink are polar opposites of the rest of the men you cited .Don'y you think so ?

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yea---but opposites attract!! :D :D

If you're thinking along the lines of the two(MacArthur & Pink) being parties to Calvinistic ways---yes--I cannot deny that!

And if you're thinking along the lines of the others(Rogers, Olford, Phillips) being in the Armenian camp . . .

But through the years I have learned that theres more to Bible doctrine than TULIP and getting stuck in that rut where everybody and their mommas know that "That church is Calvinist!" ETC, ETC

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

In one instance, a friend presented a sermon that was almost exactly what I was going to present. So, he let me "borrow" his, and I changed, added, and subtracted to get to the point of the series that I was presenting, and it was a similar, but different sermon. The changes fit what he was teaching so well that he to the the things I added and changed and built upon them to present his next sermon. After that point, we diverged, as we were headed in different directions in our lessons.

Preaching should not be a competition; it should be an alliance.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes! My sediments exactly!!! I've taken(borrowed, stole, snatched--whichever word you choose :D :D ) many 'a Adrian Rogers sermons and have "Improved" them myself!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I have had a few people take my sermons word for word, and it doesn't bother me one bit. (However, you might want to change it a bit to fit your style...)

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My wife has asked

Suppose you're up there preaching one of Adrian's sermons---and Adrian and Joyce walk in while you're preaching away!!?? What'cha gonna do??"

I tell her---I'd keep on preaching---and you'd start thinking about what'cha gonna feed 'um after the service---'cause I intend on inviting them to the house----for Roast, rice and gravy and green beans and rolls and tea for lunch and for Bisquits--eggs, grits and coffee on Sunday nite!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

He eats one of my wife's bisquits with white gravy---he'll forget I even made a disgrace out of his sermon!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Blackbird,
    I've never borrowed one of your sermons but I'd like to borrow one of those biscuits and put some of my wife's strawberry freezer jam on it with some of her fried apples on the side.
    Thanks ------Bart