1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have Any Of You Preachers ...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Hey ya'll I see I've now posted 703 times does that make me a member of the 700 club. Club me if it does.
    Thanks -----Bart

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I see nothing wrong with using another person's outline, as long as it is simply an outline. Many of them are posted on the net just for that purpose. "Helps for preachers."
    Illustrations, quotes, commentaries, other resource material, yes, by all means. However, give credit where credit is due. We can all learn from the knowledge that others have gleaned for us. After all, how many of us would be able to write a "Strong's Concordance?"
    DHK

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In M.L-J's book " Preaching And Preachers " ( which was a series of lectures at Westminister Theological seminary ) he has a couple stories that relate to this thread .

In the chapter " The Pitfalls And The Romance " he said that Mel Trotter told him personally his own experience . Mr. Trotter headed up a Rescue Mission and just could not come up with anything for Sunday's service . " At last in desperation he decided that he would have to preach one of his friend Dr. G.Campbell Morgan's sermons . So he went into the pulpit and conducted the service in the usual manner -- hymn , scripture reading , prayer , etc. As they were just finishing the hymn before the sermon Mel Trotter saw a door at the back of the building opening , and to his utter dismay in walked Campbell Morgan and sat at the back ! There was nothing to be done , and Mel Trotter preached the sermon . At the close of the service Campbell Morgan went on to him and thanked him warmly for the sermon . ' What, man,' said Mel Trotter ' do you not recognize one of your own children simply because it has my suit on it ? ' " ( page 295 )

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing in Dr.L-J's book : " My wife has a story which illustrates another possible danger . Two preachers came on two successive Sundays to preach in the chapel of which she was a member , and preached the identical sermon . The question was , which of them was the author ? The probable answer was -- neither . The probability is that they both had borrowed it or rather , stolen it . But that is how you are caught out . A further comment -- changing the text is not enough ! Any discriminating listener will always be able to detect what you are doing .
    To add a few of your own illustrations or stories does not cover it either . I knew a man who said that his method was to read a Spurgeon sermon three or four days before the Sunday and then preach it . ' You see , ' he said , ' I am not really preaching Spurgeon's sermon ; it has just passed through my mind !' So we try to rationalize our sins , but succeed only in showing the kind of mind we have . " ( 296 )

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just one further word about this . If you must preach somebody else's sermon , if you you really are in desperation on some occasion and feel there is nothing else to do for the sake of your people , avoid doing what a poor preacher I knew once in South Wales did . I am probably stating the literal truth when I say that he had probably never been outside Wales at all , not even England , let alone anywhere else . This man one Sunday morning read out his text and then began his sermon with these words : ' As I stood the other day at the head f the Wyoming Valley ... ' ! In other words , learn what to leave out . If the clergyman who preached my sermon had had a little sense he would not have started with my first sentence . He actually did . I still remember it , because he fixed it in my mind . It was , ' A very good subject for discussion in a church fellowship meeting ...' The vicar never held a church fellowship meeting . I did , and so I naturally introduced my subject in that way . Avoid things like that if you feel at any time that you must preach someone else's sermon . But to put yourself altogether in the right , tell people about your indebtedness to the other man . ( 297 )

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand the concern over the use of materials from other preachers.

As if some idea or material is stolen from someone.

If I preach a sermon that someone else wants to use then it is his to use. The sermons I preach are not mine as I could not preach a word of truth that has not come from God. I have no business claiming ownership of any material. That is absolutely silly.

I have used outlines from other preachers. But I always do my own study from that outline. I want it to be fresh. And I am only indebted to God.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you take the time to read what Dr. L-J was saying ? He was talking about theft .