1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

have I been mistaught?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Aug 25, 2008.

1. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

Name 3 What?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Churches....

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

You said, "All sillyness aside this is what many SS churches teach,"
    If you know of many, you should be able to name 3

4. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

The phrase, "All sillyness aside" was in reference to my illustration of buffet Christianity and the how Burger King has messed us up, but if you want to go that route, Lakewood Church, Houston TX, although not really a seeker sensitive church, but wishing for the headcount to be high. Where I live a place called the Rock Church, and another where I live, the BrookChurch. What I was intending to mean from my statement was the SS churches teach that you can have anything you like and nothing you don't like just come to Jesus, or our church preferably our church. Hopefully this satisfies your question though.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and this is why the seeker sensitive churches get a bad name, ridiculous notions like this post. It's obvious you don't know what seeker sensitive means, but only regurgitate what you hear.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful,that's Allan's favorite line (except you're a better speller).

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, "seeker sensitive" churches get a bad name because of unhallowed methods of evangelism and bad theology.

8. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I was speaking in general terms. There are several decent SS churches that preach Christ. There is one in my area that tries to rechurch those who have left for whatever reason, they would be classified as a SS church. Rich Warren's church out in CA is another in which ligitimatly preaches Christ crucified. I agree with the previous post that SS churches get a bad name because of bad theology. Does that mean every SS church is that way, why no, of course not, but for those that are ligitimate that teach proper theology and disciple as well as seek, they get a bad wrap. If you don't believe me read the Book entitle UNCHRISTIAN, by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons. It is a survey of what the new generation thinks of Christianity. One of the points is "get saved." This is meant to mean when a church wishes for nothing more than to join the club does not wish to build a relationship with that person after his or her name is on the role. There are several others, I would recommend everyone in ministry read it. It might open your eyes to what messages your really sending instead of those you are intending.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I did not think that Rick Warren's church was ever considered Seeker Sensitive.

Willow Creek was the big SS church for a long time. Now they are going Emerging, so it seems.

I would not call Lakewood SS either. It is Word of Faith in essence but in appearance and sermons a Self-Esteem church.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess this is why I like the evening service so much. Seems the only ones that come are the ones needing to be fed.
    MB