1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have I crossed the line in Dispensationalism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 21, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that I said JUST meaning it was the sole reason. Do you think there are many authors that publish JUST to make a buck? If you still think this I will find it odd as Mac himself gives away lots of free copies of books that cost nothing.

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

I think John MacArthur lives quite comfortably, and I know his [URL="http://www.thewatchmanwakes.com/John-Macarthur-salary-GCC-corporation-Larry-King.html]salary[/URL] is $402,444 for being a "part-time senior pastor" at Grace Community, plus another $103,000 he earns at his position with Master's College and Seminary, so you tell me: Is he writing books to "make a buck," or is that pretty much why he does anything?

My pastor earns $56,000 a year, and I'd take him over John MacArthur any day of the week and three times on Sunday.

#22 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So everyone is evil heh? Everyone but you and your pastor is greedy and out to make a buck over preaching the truth? What do you say of seminary level books that get few reviews on amazon and only get sold to higher thinkers? Do they write to make a buck ONLY?

There are lots of pastors out there working as tentmakers as Paul did, and lots of pastor out there making less than 30K a year, some even less than 20K a year. 56K a year is not bad for a pastor.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

There are several other interesting financial questions that can be found quite easily concerning GTY. But of course, one must make reasoned judgement about what is found on the web.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Kindly show me where I said that.
    Kindly show me where I said that.
    You mean the books they sell for about $400 a copy?
    You seem extremely defensive in this whole post. I made no claims of evil toward MacArthur or anyone else. I find it ludicrous that someone thinks Mac is worth nearly a half-million dollars a year for part-time work, and I think if he were honest with himself and his church, he'd think it ludicrous, too. Instead, he cashes the checks. Chuck Swindoll made about that much between the Fullerton Evangelical Free Church and Insight for Living, and then later the Dallas Theological Seminary, and still later Stonebriar Community Church, several years ago and to this day.

The difference is, Dr. Swindoll releases his tax returns every year through his church, and they consistently show that he keeps but 10% and gives away 90% to missions, seminaries and Christian charities. When Mac comes anywhere close to doing the same, I will stop noting with irony his salaries from his various employers. That isn't claiming he's evil. It is claiming -- accurately -- that no man is worth that amount in preaching the gospel. Swindoll acknowledges that by giving all of it, except what he and his wife need to live, back to ministry. He isn't the only one. Dr. Charles Stanley, Dr. David Jeremiah, Dr. Tony Evans, to name but a few -- all have proven, without demand, need or necessity, that they live on 10% and give away 90%. At this point, Mac is not among that crowd, sad to say.

#25 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    basically, just answer these basic questions!

Do you see Christians still in some sense under the law? Dispy NO
    Do you see God seeing the church now as 'spiritual isreal?" Dispy NO
    Do you see a lietral millinual reigning upon earth yet to come?Dispy Yes
    Do you see a futuristic prophecy yet still to be fulfilled?Dispy Yes

if you agree with that, , you are still in dispy camp!