1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have we discussed the proposed obesity tax?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Spinach, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...vernor_paterson_proposes_obesity_tax_a-1.html

Here's my problem with it-----it's a slippery slope, imo. How far will this thing go? I'm pretty well for "sin taxes", but who gets to decide what is healthy and what is not. Also, this tax is on "non-diet drinks". Here is another article (one of many) indicating that diet drinks are a greater contributor toward obesity than it's sugary counterpart.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159579,00.html

And for those who don't care for Fox:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight?pagenumber=3

Thoughts?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

my thoughts? it's stupid.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, Sin tax - what is considered sin - remember "take a little wine for your stomack sake"

Whats next - Mickeys D, BK, Wendys ect....

And its just not soda - there are some other 100 new fees, taxes ect.

But Patterson does want to increase socal spending - welfare ect.

no wonder so many compaines are leaving NY to go down South

Salty

last one out of New York, please turn off the lights

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

"sin tax" refers to alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Some States have adopted such taxes and are supposed to spend the tax money on education about the dangers of them.

I doubt this particular tax will go to educate on the causes of obesity.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There are people who can't drink diet soda's because they can't have the nutri-sweet.

Given my druthers, I'd rather always have water, but I've been in some situations where I had to get a soda and I'm not gonna drink a diet.

CAN HE SPELL liquid migraine. AND he'd make me pay more for the one that wouldn't give me one?

pffffffttttt

the government needs to stay out of my dietary choices. Period.

6. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Dietary choices are costing us, as a nation, a TON in medical care (no pun intended). Obesity (which is a word I don't care for, fwiw) is fast becoming an epidemic, if you will, among our youth. Perhaps....just perhaps, it would cause more people to consume less, and ultimately help our youth. Yes, adults should have the right to make their own food choices, but what about the kids. They don't get to decide.

As for the tax, I'm undecided.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government has no business trying to profit from control of people. This is unamerican and shameful.

9. Spinach

Spinach New Member

What is the answer to stopping obesity then?

See, I think most people know they are eating junk and either don't care or are addicted, in a way, to the foods they are eating. They either won't or can't control themselves. If it weren't for the health costs to take care of them after their bad choices, I wouldn't care one way or the other-----their choice.

However, their choice becomes a problem for all of us, as taxpayers. In addition, the next generation doesn't seem to have much of a chance.

If we don't hold people accountable for themselves, should we hold the food industry accountable?

When and how will this obesity epidemic end?

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just think, if they pass this tax, Baptist pastors will get America's highest award for balancing the national debt.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not the governments place or job to stop obesity. Turning to government for every little ill in life is lazy and unconstitutional. Why can't libs think of any other methods? There are not many if any problems in this country that cannot be solved by restoring this country to being based on godly families of one man married to one woman where dads and mothers are active and God fearing.

#11 Revmitchell, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  12. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Baptist Beer, anyone (for those who aren't in the know, that's what I've heard Coke called)?

Reminds me of a joke I heard when I was a kid----"Why are Baptist preachers so fat? Because every time they pray, they think it's time to eat."

Back to the topic---I'm still not sure how I feel about the tax. If there were to be such a tax, I'd prefer that the money be spent on health education, rather than balancing an already poor budget. I see the current proposal as a cop-out. I see a need for taxes and a follow-up with a justification as to why they taxed this particular thing----what a large amount of taxes they could receive, too!

To help me make up my mind on this issue, does anyone have any information as to whether or not cigarette and alcohol sales dropped after imposing a tax on them? Thanks.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

how about a higher tax on toilet paper.
    I know many people who smoke, and not one quit when the taxes were raised. They've been talking about higher tobacco taxes, everyone I've heard talk about it (lots here in tobacco country) say they'll just pay it, still haven't heard one person say they'll quit smoking.
    Last year we had a tax hike on gas, can you believe it, after were paying nearly $4. to begin with. And not one person quit buying gas because of it.
    Point is, no one stops anything because the taxes go up on it.
    And isn't that just what we want, the government finding new ways to tax us, more ways to get more of our money.
    Fat causes high cholesterol, clogged arteries, eventual heart attack, weight gain(obesity). Should the government step in and rescue us by imposing stiff taxes to try and prevent people from eating meat and thus killing themselves from it?
    And here I thought we had some sort of semblance of a free a country.

#13 donnA, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  14. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I agree that it's a slippery slope.

Anyone from New York know if this will actually be passed?