1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have you actually tried using The Way of the Master?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there is more than one way? So in other words, Rev was right.

Look, I'm really not sticking up for Rev, as much as it might seem like it. Instead, I'm pointing out your black-and-white statements that sound like you're saying there's only one way to really witness to others--when, as evidenced by scripture, there are multiple ways.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound an awful lot like the Mormons who say you can't criticize their beliefs because you are not a Mormon. There is no prerequisite to read a book in order to know what the Bible teaches.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What a awful comparison. But I am surprised you would criticize WOTM when some very good Reformed authors such as Ernest Reisinger defend the use of the LAW in evangelism.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No doubt we live in a day where people love themselves and do not want their sin exposed nor hell spoken on.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No; it's been that way even in the times of the Bible.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A few years ago a conversation I had with a neighbor started as a discussion about his reasons for being an atheist. Once I spent time listening to him and answering his doubts and objections about scripture he realized that what he had been told was misleading and not at all correct. After meeting with him for about five hours in a few separate meetings he told me he decided to follow Jesus. I cannot think of a single program of evangelism that would have engaged him and met him where he was at.

Several years ago I went visiting with an elderly man who rattled off a canned program and the young man we visited did not seem to understand much of anything. I sensed that and went back later that evening to visit with the young man to find out if he understood what the man told him. The young man understood almost nothing and so I spent time with him to help him understand and answer his questions. He decided to follow Jesus. If we do not listen well and ask good questions so that people understand we may be casting the Word on the roadway.

As I studied Jesus and Paul I see men who sought to engage people in what they had in common and go from there. When Jesus spoke with the Sadducees he used the Torah only and with the Pharisees he used the entire Old Testament.

I believe the key is found in being willing to listen and engage people where they are using what we have in common with them as a starting point of engagement.