1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you attended Mass?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jul 16, 2003.

?
  1. Yes, and I was Catholic at the time

63.2%
  2. Yes, and I was Baptist at the time

2.6%
  3. Yes, and I was of another denomination at the time

10.5%
  4. Yes, and at that time I did not consider myself a Christian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don't know / maybe / can't remember / other

10.5%
  6. No, never have never will

5.3%
  7. No, but would like to

7.9%
  8. No, never had interest one way or the other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our daugther was married in a Catholic church with a full mass. We were told before the service began that we would be refused if we attempted to take communion as the priest had been told we were not Catholics. Our own daughter was not allowed to have communion at her wedding. :(

I have never been to a Catholic church for services.

Diane

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That was also an issue during Martin Luther's days. The early protestants wanted to separate themselves from the RCC so much that they removed stained glass windows from the churches, and sometimes even removed pipe organs. Later, during the counter reformation era, the trend reversed. But the fear of "appearing too catholic" has often been there. Likewise, some older folks in the RCC often fear "appearing too protestant" in regard to things like removing kneelers, adding comtemporary music, etc.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The RCC has "closed" communion (communion is reserved for members of the church only). However, I'm surprised that no one offerred to serve non-Catholic participants with unblessed wafers. I've seen this at Catholic weddings before, where one of the folks isn't Catholic.

BTW - I'm sure you're aware, there are many denoms that practice closed communion. When visiting a church with a friend, I always try to find out before hand what their communion practices are.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually the Catholic wedding service is LONGER and more DETAILED (usually lasting 80-95 minutes)than a typical Mass (lasting 50 minutes). Mass IS included in the wedding, so you HAVE been to one!!

My prayer is that your daughter is no longer a papist or, if she still is, that you will have a godly influence on any grandchildren. Since "faith cometh by hearing . . the Word" you can still have a great impact in their lives.

5. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

My church has closed communion too.

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

"part on the Lord's table"? "Table of demons"? I have never heard of "parting" the Lord's table...or "table of demons". Would you please explain what this means?

7. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Having been raised Catholic I attended Mass many times. (Catholic School, etc.) It was not until after salvation that I came to understand all that was involved in the Mass and how it differed from from the Bible.
    If you go, go with the realization that most of the Catholics there have very little idea of what they are participating in and why it is wrong. They are mostly born to it and accept it at face value without any real understanding.

8. Gunther

Gunther New Member

"part on the Lord's table"? "Table of demons"? I have never heard of "parting" the Lord's table...or "table of demons". Would you please explain what this means? </font>[/QUOTE]Wisdomseeker, read all of I Cor. 10. If a person takes part in Mass, they are taking part in a sacrifice that involves a dead/dying/resacrificed Christ each time. This is forbidden.

The Lord's supper is a memorial - Do this in REMEMBERANCE of Me.