1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you 'discovered' a Scripture or Scriptures?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Has any Scriptures obtained fresh, vibrant, LIVING and NEW meaning to you?

Would you mind to share your experience of such occasions?

Please and no offense but I do not mean have you had visions about Scriptures. I mean have you received real new insight and knowledge obtained through study of specific Scriptures. Even maybe negative or contrary your previous ideas about those Scriptures?

Have you ever discovered you were wrong, before? Have you ever come to realise, But I never knew that?!

Have you ever discovered MIND AND LIFE-CHANGING different understandings of Scripture?

2. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings Gerhard Ebersoehn,
    Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

This scripture has always been there for me, but the simplicity and beauty of this has only in the last few years made a definite impact. I often return to this and a number of other passages when in distress or disheartened and find it comforting. To me it depicts Jesus as God’s Servant, compare Isaiah 42-53, and Jesus is possibly alluding to the double-yoke that was used to train a young animal next to a sure and steady footed older animal, who was used to ploughing a steady and straight furrow. I also like the context where Jesus alludes to and quotes Psalm 8. There is also a quotation or allusion to “find rest for your souls” in Jeremiah 6:16, but with Jesus this is a new and living way, not just the old paths.

Kind regards
    Trevor

#2 TrevorL, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  3. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I used to work for a church in Minnesota that adopted a theology for a while called "dual covenant theology" (think John Hagee) which basically says the Jews who hold to the law don't have to believe in Jesus Christ to be saved.

Well, I knew Jesus said "no man comes to the father but by me" so I set out to prove that there was not two covenants, but only one.

I started with a cursory search of the word "covenant" in the Bible. One of the first passages that came up was Galatians 4:

Gal 4:24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar.​

Immediately, I knew I was wrong. I had to read the context to know if this was true. I read the whole of Galatians. I read and re-read Galatians 3. God began to illuminate it to me and show me some things that blew my mind.

First, that God himself preached the gospel to Abraham (Gal 3:8), and when Abraham believed the gospel, this was what counted as righteousness. It wasn't simply that God said anything and Abraham believed anything God said - but Galatians 3 makes the case that God preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham and it was specifically believing the good news of the gospel that made him righteous. Second that this covenant God makes with Abraham - the covenant of faith - came 430 years before the other covenant - The Law. So the Law has nothing to do with salvation by faith, and salvation by faith exists apart from and outside of, and independent of The Law. This sheds light on Romans 4, 7, 8 - and really all of the book of Romans. In fact, this passage helped to show me the purpose and function of The Law in the life of the believer is as a teacher to bring us to Christ. The law is a physical lesson about God and how we relate to him spiritually. When the Bible talks about how slaves are treated, it's talking about US who were once slaves to sin, for example. I also came to understand through Galatians 3 that we INHERIT the righteousness of Christ as a birth-right once we are born of the kingdom of God. Having the same faith as Abraham doesn't save us - it makes us children of Abraham (this is what John 3:3 means by "born again" see also Gal 6:15 and 2Cor 5:17) and children of God. Then, the children of Abraham inherit the promise of God that Christ would take away the sins of the world and inherit Christ's righteousness.

Another revelation of scripture I've had was the meaning and purpose of circumcision. Circumcision was instituted when Abraham was made righteous as a sign of that righteousness. It is a shadow and reflection of salvation by faith. The Word says we become circumcised of the heart. I came to understand that circumcision is (again) a physical reflection of spiritual truth. Like the outer flesh is cut away and the inner member lives on in circumcision, so we too have a righteous, born again inner man that will survive the destruction of our bodies (Rom 8:10, 1Cor 15).

#3 Gup20, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2013
  4. TrevorL

TrevorL Member

Greetings again Gerhard Ebersoehn,

After posting Matthew 11:28-30 and commenting on the yoke of Christ I read the following Scripture and it reminds me of my own experience, both in the past and even now that it is almost natural not to want to take the yoke of Christ. This is an everyday experience and requires a continual renewing.
    Jeremiah 31:18-19 (KJV): 18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God. 19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Kind regards
    Trevor

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Thank you all people. I must say, the quality of thinking and witness on Baptist Board 'Other Denominations' is outstanding. Reaction I have received on other forums cannot compare.

My whole life has been a journey on discovery through the Scriptures. But the greatest discoveries came in old age.

No; it's not true! The greatest came in my robust youth. Thank God it did because it changed my life for good.

But the discoveries of my youth was new for me, but old for having been the 'same Gospel preached' to all saved in all ages.

Discoveries of really the unknown came in later life.
    I started for example with Mark 15:42, to understand the changes made in its translation in New Edition after New Edition. For forty years this investigation and research went on when SUDDENLY literally the “BONE” of contention as it were rose up from the valley of dead bones and received skin and flesh and “SUBSTANCE”— LIFE!

Seventy years old was I when for the first time I saw from within that the “BONE” of the matter was really that which I for at least forty years of my life struggled with to uncover and lay bare from without.

That was discovery! Now discovery is to see what everyone has always seen but to think what no one else has thought. [Some Swiss homeopath I believe said this.]

The French oceanic discoverer [Ballard] who discovered the wreck of the Titanic compares discovery with an aeroplane that exploded in mid-air and fell in pieces to the earth over a vast area of corn-land. Search-parties are sent out to find the wreck. They start out from one place spreading out wider and wider until a small piece of debris is found and further on another. The searchers concentrate in that direction, combing the fields with their eyes for more pieces of debris. As more and more pieces are found they get bigger and bigger until the main part of the leftovers is discovered at the main point of impact in the field. So was it in my experience of my discovery.

My discovery was different though! As discovery is to see what everyone has always seen, mine was to see what no one else has ever seen! Yes! In the Bible, what no one else has yet seen! Really what no one, as far as I know, has ever seen. And IF someone before has seen what I have seen, he never thought different than any who never saw. And IF someone before me has seen what I have discovered, he has never made it known or public!

But let me first tell of my latest discovery. More discoveries followed. Most recently I came to understand the eschatology of the figure of Simon of Cyrene in the Gospels in much deeper depth than ever I could think possible. Could other searchers have found out before me about this mysterious person in the Gospel Story of Jesus Christ, that he appears in history in fulfilment of Jesus’ last passover according to the Scriptures the Passover of Yahweh-Scriptures, Leviticus 23:10,22?

But I’m tired now. TBC. God bless

#5 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2013