1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you ever been in a service like this?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Speedpass, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Molly

Molly New Member

I would not allow anyone else to discipline my children...only myself and my husband. We do not allow grandparents either...if there is a problem,they are to let us know and we will deal with it.

I agree,Laurenda.

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Absolutely Molly. That's the way I was brought up, and that's how we are raising our children too.

I don't mind other people talking to them, mentoring or teaching them lessons that they should learn. But spanking? No way.

Laurenda

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sitting in the hospital last night, as a 15 year old girl had emergency surgery. I got the call late night and sat with Mom (Dad is out of state working, a real problem in Wyoming). I asked her if it bothered her that I was there.

She shared that when her kids were born, they were "dedicated" in the church service. The congregation vowed to help the parents in the guidance and upbringing. She said that the church was the only "family" and that the pastor was like "dad".

So I quietly broached this subject and asked what her reaction would be. She said that if ANY church member saw her kids needing discipline or guidance, she would stand behind that decision (even if she thought they were overreacting, etc).

I was amazed at this attitude. MY kids were never the "property" of the church families to discipline or whatever and I personally would not want it so. But she did.

Different strokes.

(BTW, girl deliverd a 12-inch rock-hard appendix. No wonder she'd been in such pain for weeks and no one could figure it out)