1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you ever studied with a bias?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Feb 11, 2009.

?
  1. Yes, I have gone to the Bible with a bias but found my bias was right

70.6%
  2. Yes, I have gone to the bible with a bias and found I was wrong and changed

88.2%
  3. Yes, I have had a bias, found out I was wrong but did not change

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I have never been biased in study.

5.9%
  5. I never study

5.9%
  6. I am the person that is never happy with the poll options :-)

5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Have you ever studied the bible with a bias?
    Did you start with a presupposition, likely something you had been taught and then try to find support in the Bible to back it up?

If so, did you eventually change your views or did you keep your opinions the same, afraid to admit you were wrong?

Edit: In the poll you can select as many as apply.

#1 Dale-c, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have biases in my study. Sometimes my study confirms my biases, others times I have to change... so I am between several answers.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Same here Tom. I set it so that you can select multiple answers

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I suggest it is impossible for one not to possess any biases, even if one does not recognize that they have them. I'm sure I have a couple or three, myself, despite my own attempts to not let them affect my objectivity and study.

FTR, I almost found one of the few polls I could cast a vote in, namely the last option, but even that has not been true in every single instance of a poll. Just usually. ;)

Ed

#4 EdSutton, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all have biases, but the key is letting God's truth shape us. My study may confirm or refute my particular bias at the time, but we must not look to shape God's word to our biases.

6. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Same here.

By the way I hit the I never study button just so that there will be one!

:laugh:

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We all approach everything with a bias. It's not a bad thing either. One bias I have is that I believe the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible revelation of God to mankind.

We approach most everything with one kind of bias or another. How we allow it to influence us and whether or not that bias is appropriate are key issues to be discussed. :)

8. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Looks like I am in great company. :saint:

9. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I study with a bias, but then I am perfect so my bias is always correct :D

Just joking.

I haven't had many bias (plural?) since I never grew up in church and didn't know anything when i was saved. I was taught the CCCU doctrine of sanctification and after study discovered that I either misunderstand what they teach or it was wrong.

10. billreber

billreber New Member

In 1969-70, I rode the school bus to High School with a guy named Thor. He was the best witness for Christ I have ever known. He convinced me to study the Bible (which I was certain was "just a book of stories"). I studied it with the bias that it was "just stories" and without any basis in fact. In October 1971, I completed my biased study, and accepted Jesus as my Savior (which is another good story!).

I have many times since then studied the Bible while trying to prove or disprove one of my "biased" theories. Some I have found to be nearly truth, but the majority of the time I find that God totally disagrees with me. That being the case, I defer to the One Who created the whole thing!:laugh:

Bill :godisgood:

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is impossible to read without bias. We filter everything through our presuppositions and our linguistic and cultural orientations.