1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have You Ever Used a Racial Slur?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 2, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, but minimal

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. Never, not even once

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it, as I use it in private

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I am caucasian, and slur other racial groups

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I am black, and slur other racial groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am Hispanic, and slur other racial groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am Asian, and slur other racial groups

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Another ethnic origin and I have used slurs towards other races

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. I have used slurs towards gays

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  10. I used slur towards those less affluent [financially, mentally, physically attractive, etc] then me

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not a racial slur.... look it up under anthropology books for reference.

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness." Robert Griffin III

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I'm not really sure I understand why "oriental" is offensive, either.

I'm also told you're not supposed to say mongoloid, either, but I don't believe that's offensive, either.

Watching Mad Men the other night, one of the characters referred to her son as "spastic". "Spastic" was a very common word when I was young, but I'm told that it's offensive, now.

"Colored" is offensive now, but persons of color is not. Until somebody can explain the difference, then I'm not going to worry about that one.

Frankly, I'm at the age now that I just don't care anymore.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Colored is now offensive?? LOL. Tell that to the NAACP. ROFL

Just who comes up with all these "offensive" words that we are now finding out are "offensive"? If the NAACP has not problem with the word Colored in their acronymic business title, I have no fear of using the word colored.

Funny the n word is offensive when rap and hip-hop artists use it all the time and a movie was just put out last year "Django Unchained" which uses the n word 110 times according to wikipedia.

What??? 110 times they can use the word in an hour, but if I use it once in my lifetime I am a racist? They've got to be kidding.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's completely arbitrary.

I find the fact that black people are allowed to have the NAACP in the first place, but would consider us racist to have the NAAWP to be far more offensive than the word "colored".

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares? :sleep:

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently TV executives care...
    And Walmart,
    And Target,
    And publishing companies,

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I certainly am opposed to racial slurs. However, sometimes the slur is in the ear of the hearer, not the intent of the speaker.

Where I grew up we opened the "winder" before bedtime. We slept with our head on a "pillar". So you can just imagine how we pronounced Negro. And no, we meant no slur and in fact were trying not to use racist slurs. Took a teacher new to our community to enlighten us.

I'm composed of a veritable united nations myself, and learning of more all the time as I do my family history.

And I'm inclined to think no word was dreamed up to be mean. Usually seems they were perfectly fine accurate terms for a while, then became offensive either because of the intent of the speaker or the feelings of the recipient.

Maybe rather than purge our speech every time someone gets offended, we should all work at purging our hearts of offense. That would be the quickest way to end hurtful words by rendering them ineffective at hurting.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Post of the thread!

10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up in a social context where the "n word" was used by all of the authority figures I knew. As a child, I didn't realize that there was contempt behind the word for some, but for others it was simply a way to reference persons of that ethnicity and nothing offensive or contemptuous was meant by it. Because my life with highly segregated at the time (the schools didn't integrate until I was more than halfway through high school), I didn't know any black folks until I became a teenager.

One summer when I was about 12, my family was in Washington D.C. at a gas station with the windows down and I noticed the very high number of black people around us (we were the only white folks I could see) and I mentioned to my mother that almost everyone in this neighborhood seemed to be "n----rs."

My mother went pale and told me not to use that word around black people. I asked her why and she got very upset. That was when I realized that I had been using an offensive word. From nearly that point on, I dropped the word from my vocabulary. I have no contempt for people of other ethnicities and even have family members from other ethnic backgrounds (including African-American and Asian).

The problem is not the word itself, but the contempt that is associated with the word. The British used the "n word" contemptuously toward people they considered below them, including people who were not of African descent.

If I were asked if I have ever used the "n word" in a deposition, I would have to say yes, many times, but that wouldn't make me a racist.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was growing up in southern California, the use of racial slurs was common. Thus little children with no idea of their actual meaning, and the associated malice toward those who were superficially different, used them. Hispanics might be referred to as "wetbacks", "low-riders," and "beaners." Naturally this did not refer to our close and beloved friends who happened to be Hispanic.

When working, just out of High school, I forgot my lunch one day. As I looked around, trying to find my lunch bucket, a black man noticed and said, "My wife always packs way to much, would you like one of my sandwiches. I was hungry, and so I rapidly unwrapped it and thrust it toward my mouth. As I did a thought crossed my depraved mind, "is this going to taste funny?" I have never been so ashamed in my life, I took a huge bite, and of course it tasted wonderful.

Many of us do not even know how deeply we are embedded with the lies of Satan. I had grown up singing "red and yellow, black or white, we are precious in His sight." Every day we need to preach the refrain, there is no difference in Christ. The "we/them" of tribalism is of Satan. The World is made up of our brothers and sisters in Christ, and potential brothers and sisters not yet in Christ!

In the 1950's, this is one of the songs I learned:

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
    Catch a nigger by the toe.
    If he hollers, let him go,
    Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

God Bless

#31 Van, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2013
  12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can blame God.

He is the one who confused the languages, separating humankind, so they couldn't get to Him on their own.

Since I was saved, I have been a "zionist." But recently found out that term is now hurtful to those who hope for a true homecoming for the Israeli.

I have been around a number of preachers who used the "n" word; called hispanic folks: messkins, wet backs, ponchos...; and would get mad at someone calling them a honky.

I got tickled the other morning when someone refferred to "cracker" as being racist. Yet, Georgia whites used to glory in being known as "Geaga crackrs".

In the late 60's I heard a traveling singing group that I understand is still active call "Up With People." During the show they sang a song titled, "What Color is God's Skin."

I know they performed in the Super Bowl X, XIV and XVI. Isn't that some kind of record for a returning group?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I posted this on another thread, but growing up in Mississippi in the 50s and 60s, I saw nothing amusing about human beings being treated as second class citizens. I think there is a special place in hell for those that treated them in that manner.

On the negative side, I have used disparaging remarks about those involved in same sex relationships. I am not sure that is a racial slur. That has been some years back, as it seems everywhere one goes to work, one or two are there. The wrong thing said at the wrong time can cost one their job. Hardly worth the price for a moment of amusement.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes. Pillars of the community, every one of them. :rolls eyes:

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I grew up in the South. Next question.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Hey, I was just asking. I just think it's that kind of thinking that has folks crying out that they are a "minority" to be discriminated against.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I was being a little sarcastic, using one of your comments used on me about an OP being yours, and if I didn't like I didn't have to respond? Just thought I jingle your bells a bit. Only trying to get a reaction, and it worked.

BTW - I like your thought about "crying discrimination!" Way too much of that today, and changing the names of team mascots because they are racially degrading, is one of my pet peeves!
    :thumbs:

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I would be hard pressed to say I have never slurred, but it has rarely been my intent.

19. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. What is a minimal racial slur (first poll option)?

2. Do barbs against Norwegians count?;)

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    #40 Salty, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013