1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you folks any clue how Roman Catholic you all sound to me?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mioque, Apr 21, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I think people only got worked up becuase of your accusation. I am not sure what the point of your original post was but the way it was worded was kind of like you were poking fun at Baptists. Hopefully it's just your choice of wording. I'm giving you benefit of the doubt here but correct me if I am wrong.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

There was a time when a certain group of Baptists tried to get us all to switch to the term "immersionist" to show our seperation from Anglicanism and Catholicism as well as to correctly translate the word itself.
    That notion "drowned". :D
    Good luck trying to incite similar changes.

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. mioque

mioque New Member

Chipsgirl
    "but the way it was worded was kind of like you were poking fun at Baptists."
    "
    I am one myself remember?
    What I'm not is a native Englishspeaker. I was pointing out a small cultural difference.
    I was using the language certain other members of this board would have used in all seriousness if the differences had been the other way around for fun*.
    Notice the ;) at the top of the first post?

Diane
    I wouldn't know, the only nun I knew belonged to a contemplative order, those normally don't have nights out. ;)

*It is probably noteworthy that Hank and USN2Pulpit are on that very short list of BB regulars who actually find my brand of comedy funny. [​IMG]

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO!!

HankD

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I understand I guess. I just think the title was a little misleading to whether or not it was just for fun. Since I am a native English speaker then I only know the meanings for those words American style.

The one downfall of writing is that no one can really get an idea of our feelings or what we may mean by a post. That can be a little tricky sometimes.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Not even Bingo, Mioque? BTW, what is a contemplative order of Nuns? Is that like the Little Engine that Could? "I think I can, I think I can". ;)

It's easy to be a Holy Man on top of a Mountain.
    Razor's Edge

7. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's that you say? Well ... already then!

PJ :D

8. mioque

mioque New Member

"Not even Bingo, Mioque?"
    "
    The Dutch RCC doesn't share the obsession with bingo that it's US counterpart has.

"BTW, what is a contemplative order of Nuns?"
    "
    Monastic orders come in 2 flavours. You've got active orders, whose members maintain a presence in the world. Most of the members of such an order are nurses, or teachers, or missionaries etc.
    And you've got contemplative orders. Those are the ones who live locked away in a convent following a strict regimen of ora et labora (pray and work). The ones you would describe as following the holy man on the mountain routine.
    What can I say, if we do it, it is separation from the world, a hard choiche to be admired for. If others do it, they are taking the easy road.

PJ
    You may laugh, but what in the end scares me is that if it had been the other way around (the English speaking world having a seperate vocabulary for protestant believers and their Dutch counterparts still using the Roman Catholic terms), this would have been considered a serious issue by a significant number of board members.

9. violet

violet Guest

I think it's more an interesting comment on the language more than anything else. At least I thought it was interesting, mioque. You can add me to the short list... ;)

10. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeshua, Joshua, Jesus = Son of God, Savior of the World, The Way the Truth and The Life. I've heard the name Yeshua used by seminary professors. I've also heard Messianic Jews call Him Yeshua as well.

I really don't see what the big deal is. If the Catholics call their church a "church" and we do the same we shouldn't have to change it just because catholics call it that. Now if we started having to confess sins to our preachers for forgiveness and sainted people, etc. then that would be a problem.