1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you heard of this guy?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, May 12, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have a sister in law that is caught up in the word faith movement and has been sending me emails about a revival in Lakeland Fla done by Todd Bentley (part of the Third Wave). I have done some research on him and he is, to say the least......a false teacher. Have you guys heard of him?
    I have tried to point out to her the errors of this movement and in particular this guy, but she is not going to budge. It breaks my heart, which is why I decided to post this topic and talk about it for awhile. I can't get her off my mind. I am praying for her and her husband (who is a pastor of a church they started together. She is a pastor too... Yuk.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here

Haver you seen this?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sorry Amy I ahven't heard of him. But I will pray for your sister.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I haven't seen that particular video until now, but I've seen others. I got most of my information from his own website and sent some of it to my SIL. I wanted to get my info straight from him so that my SIL would not accuse me of false information.

This is scary stuff to me. How people can believe all this is baffling to me.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you Donna. :1_grouphug:

It's my sister in law though. But she is my sister in Christ, so you are still right.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Haven't heard of him.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He looks like that psychic guy on TV - and NOT a godly man.

I'm sorry and will pray for your SIL.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably need to rpay for Lakeland as well.

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Before I got saved my wife went to a WOF church(my in-laws belong there). To make a long story short, it took me about 3 months after I got saved, studying with her and showing her the false teachings to get her to leave and go where we go now. She fully understands the dangers of that teaching now and can spot it's heresys quick. They started out with pretty basic doctrine and then over weeks or years, little by little, start drilling that stuff into peoples heads. My in-laws still refuse to leave even after my wife and I have shown them the the truths of the false teaching. They just say, "We believe you are wrong in your interpretation of the Bible. We finally gave up on them and just pray for them now. A couple of link here might give you something to study on and be able to ask your friend some questions:

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/posit.htm
    http://www.victorstephens.com/wordfaithmovement.pdf
    http://www.ondoctrine.com/01organi.htm

Another place to look for answers is John Piper's website. He has done extensive research on the WOF movement.
    www.desiringgod.org
    It won't be easy to talk to her about this stuff because they paint a pretty picture of name-it-and-claim-it stuff. I will remember you and your friends in prayer.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you all for your prayers and support. You guys are great!

Jerry, I'm going to save all those links, thank you so much.

My sis in law has always been mildly charasmatic, but has just progressed more and more toward the heretical stuff of WOF. If I understood her email correctly, she went to the Lakewood, Fla revival for 4 days.
    She lives all the way across the country from us, so the best way of exposing this stuff to her is through email.

I emailed her some quotes yesterday by Todd Bentley, that just make me cringe. Actually this stuff makes me sick inside.

These quotes came from his website.
    Something came on that woman, but it wasn't God.

This is his website: http://www.freshfire.ca/

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My word! That's just so scary! And what's worse is that people BELIEVE this stuff!

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I've dealt with scores of folks that have been "snookered" into the WOF movement-----the first quote above from JerryL is usually the answer I get-----99.999% of the time

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member