1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have you heard the voice of God? Or, if He talks, what ways do you hear Him?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever floats your boat. I can't be responsible for the tons of mistakes you have made and believed to be far superior to us peons? What you do and say will have to stand and be judged by God.

I have know fears about my theology being grounded and rooted and able to stand before him.

In short .... Icon your views are yours. Mine are mine. I pity you fool, because those who where the robes of phariseez will have some 'splainin' to do.

2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Could you, brother, qualify what you mean by 'heard directly from God'?

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could have stopped this from morphing into mudslinging my brother when I reported tom not once but twice for out right insinuating I had MENTAL issues. You did nothing then, and ift turned into a free for all.

4. Internet Theologian

'Fool'? Really, my friend? Hebrews 12:14?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Internet Theologian

Yes, and noted here as well.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Internet Theologian

righteousdude2, I see that you have disagreed with the above. Instead of simply clicking 'dislike' could you show me with what in the above quote you disagree?

#66 Internet Theologian, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While I make many mistakes and will make many more...one mistake I will not be making is biting on false wof ideas that are failed ideas.
    Scripture speaks of all liars as perishing....so I will not lie, saying I had an out of body experience...suggesting to TC...that he just lacks "faith"....and he also can"move" in the
    Spirit......every false teacher on TV says the same thing.

You make as if you commend TC on his ability to understand scripture, but in reality you despise scripture and those who work to understand it. It us not enough for you is it?
    You mock theology by giving mere lip service to it....why would you care for theology at all....when you have direct messages flowing in....as Moses, and the Apostles did?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks you are either speaking in tongues, or you need to pull into a Joke N Puke and get some shuteye. LOL

9. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. Internet Theologian

'For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.' 2 Tim. 4:2-3

'Myths' here can be rendered, 'tales' or 'a story'. People like to hear, and share, their 'stories'. What we need is the Word. I sense I will be castigated for this, yet it is all for His glory.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scriptural language might be considered tongues to you...evidently....an unknown tongue for you....lol
    Dude.....I can do this all day...you know that!
    I find you a likeable person Dude....but when you get your tighty whiteys in a bunch you go off the rails....calm down Dude....have some tea with honey.

On a more serious note however....when is the last time you read an ODT....saw what the Spirit gave to him.....not audibly but by opening the word up and you rejoiced in it because it was biblical truth......or you cannot rejoice because the hairs on your neck did not tingle.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt 5:22

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure why you're denying he and his church are Southern Baptist. Here is Sovereign Grace Church Louisville's page at the SBC website:

http://www.sbc.net/church/2015064333/sovereign-grace-church-of-louisville

One of Mahaney's church members was named to a prominent SBC committee this year:

http://www.bpnews.net/44592/tellers-committee-named-for-sbc

"Members of the Tellers Committee for the June 16-17 Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting in Columbus, Ohio, have been named by SBC President Ronnie Floyd.
    . . . . .
    KENTUCKY -- James Forbis, Sovereign Grace Church, Louisville"

14. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he is not. His church partners with the SBC but is distinct as you would see if you clicked on the link I posted.

But it is neither here nor there because it wouldn't matter if he was an SBC pastor his words are not inspired and are not Scripture therefore they do not hold the same weight as Scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to add:

Romans 12:18

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Everything must be measured with Scripture. If ever I heard a voice in my head saying "Go ahead and take that wallet that's sitting on the ground. It's yours.", I'd know that was not from God. But when I hear in my heart "Trust me" when my daughter is diagnosed with a pancreatic tumor at 21 year old, I know that it's either my own understanding of God reassuring me, the Spirit in me ministering to me or God speaking to me. I don't know which it was but when I've heard these things that I feel were from God, they absolutely lined up with Scripture. If they didn't come to pass, then maybe I misunderstood but I've not had any of them not happen. I definitely had to lean on God when Lauren was ill, I had to humble myself and get out of my own stuck world when we were struggling in ministry and I had to release my control of my fertility and leave it in God's hands so He got the glory.

I've never said "Listen to your heart - that's God speaking" to anyone because I know the heart can be deceitful so I'm careful and if someone comes to me and says "God told me to...." because I question whether or not it was from God. But when my friend is struggling with a drug addicted husband and she tells me that she just really heard from God that she has to release the anger and hurt and leave him in God's hands, I can agree with that because it's Biblical. Even if it wasn't God speaking and it was coming from her understanding of Scripture coming alive in her life, that's good. I know this is a tricky thing to talk about and it can be so easily misconstrued but all I can do is to trust God that He still speaks to His children through His Word, through the Spirit in us, through our recalling of His Word and sometimes even through other people. :)

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ann
    A few posts ago TC gave a solid answer indicating two different kind of things are being posted about.
    All Christians have a God consciousness about them.
    There is a direct dealing with God through His word.
    As you try and relate deeply personal interactions it is not so easy to express in words everything that is taking place.

That many express thoughts of this nature is one thing....that some open up the door to everything under the sun, direct revelation, new revelation, out of body experiences, likening themselves to Moses, the apostles etc....is not a safe path.
    All of us have thoughts, impressions, etc.
    You know what the word declares. ...you know the cautions also.

• Like Like x 2
  18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - Exactly. :)

19. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a great question, and one which I have discussed with more than one pastor.

How does a pastor "know" that they are to deliver His message, if they don't "hear directly from God?"

Peter (writing before the cannon of Scriptures were established) states:
    So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, or no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. (2 Peter 1). ​

Peter instructed the people to listen, "to pay attention," in a sense imitate or follow until when? "...the day dawns and the morning star arises in your (their) hearts."

So, a believer should be one that is not an immature imitator, but has encountered that heart understanding given by the Holy Spirit.

The believer who hears the preaching may imitate the instructions of the Scriptures and (as Paul said to the shallow Corinthians (4) be in imitator of the living example, but that is not the same condition as one who has the illumination by the same Holy Spirit that brought the message to humankind.
    Believers must grow and mature past being one who is merely an imitator, to one who, "knows Him." Like Paul stated to the Ephesians (1):
    ...that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ,..​

A person who "knows" in the sense that Paul wrote is not just gathering great head knowing, but heart knowing. That deep fellowship of application, and seeing the working of God, hearing the impulse of the Holy Spirit and not ignoring the direction of peace. The experiential understanding built upon having heard with the ears of the heart is not head knowledge that can "puff up."

The writer of Hebrews introduces a short poem in which he uses the phrase, "Therefore, the Holy Spirit says..." Now the question then may be asked - Did the Holy Spirit stop speaking when a person became a believer?

For the readers, please do not misunderstand. I am not suggesting some modern charismatic froth, rather that which comes by spending a great abundance and continued time both in the Word, in prayer, in fasting(s), in worship, in sincerity, and in emptiness seeking His filling. The clouds of this flesh, and this living would shadow the sun. Although the day is lit, the sun is filtered and unseen. Many believers (imo) read the Scriptures, can even read out loud the Scriptures, but never hear the enlightenment of those Scriptures by the Holy Spirit. The Son is shadowed by the immediacy, the ears stopped by the extraneous noise, the senses dulled by cliche and programmed worship.

As the question relates to a pastor who "hears directly from God," I don't need a novice. I need one who is truly enlightened, who hears the Holy Spirit not only in the Scriptures, but in the everyday fellowship and follow - ship. Who is willing to wait upon the Lord's guidance and not the obligation of delivery and showmanship.

To broaden the question, do I expect a believer to "hear from God" in some audible voice that others too hear and understand - such as what Paul experienced on the road to Damascus, or through some object as Moses facing the burning bush, or animal as the donkey? Not really.

Do I expect a believer to have such fellowship with God that they "hear from God" in even an "audible" sense in their heart, most certainly. There is no reason not to expect that the God who created and purposed the believer will not use all means and any means at His disposal to guide, discipline, speak and fellowship with His child. It is not His problem that believers don't readily hear.

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree, Icon.

The typical "out of body... direct revelation, new revelation" is not just "not a safe path," but in evidence by the sorry living of the typical populace charismatic is nothing but deceit done by fakers.

Personally, that kind of stuff should not be considered a standard by the believer.

Do I think that God gives the believer highly personal and direct insight, instruction, and enlightenment? Of course. Is that not the work of the Holy Spirit?

Do I think that God is restricted to 66 books that man formed into a cannon? Nope, God is never restricted to humankind.

Do I think that God "speaks" to the believer? Most certainly. Sometimes through circumstances, sometimes through others, sometimes through nature, always bringing peace and quiet, but NEVER outside, extra, in contest, or contrary to that which is found in the Scriptures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.