1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Have you Seen "Gods and Generals"?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 30, 2003.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The third part of the trilogy will not be out for a while. Us reenactors who missed G&G (I was in Gettysburg and most of my unit here get good closeups as part of the 20th Maine - we go both ways) are anxious to get out the powder and finish the series.

In 1995 I was in the filming for the National Park Service at Appomattox/Sailor's Creek. Awesome two days of battles, then stood in lines (I am 3rd US Volunteer Infantry Regiment, wearing blue) as 4500 Confederate reenactors marched by, furled banners and stacked arms.

If you ever get to that sacred site and see the 20 minute video, I'm the tall guy. :rolleyes:

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Gunther, You need to see the Commentary on God's and Generals especially the part by the black actors. It will open your blind eyes!

Donzaleigh Abernathy, daughter of Civil Rights leader Ralph Abernathy, plays the role of a slave in the movie, Gods and Generals. Her commentary on the DVD is simply amazing.

The black actor who played Gen. Jackson's cook also gave a startling testimony about his personal views about the movie and the history surrounding it.

Educate yourself!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you were perhaps referring to Stonewall Jackson's heart but upon further reflection I have decided you are describing your own heart.

I will leave off with commenting on your unChristlike tirades against my ancestors in the South. But just so you know, if I actually wrote what I want to write about you I would be censored and if you were in my presence, well...

But, just let say frankly, someone like you is not worth getting censored over and not worth the pain of bruised knuckles.

It's too bad you only debate using pejorative language. There are actually decent points to made on your Union side but you apparently are unable to articulate them.

May God be merciful to us all.

God save the South!

[​IMG]

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have picked up my rifle and sword and would have defended the CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA and quite willingly shot at you. So there.

7. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

I would have picked up my rifle and sword and would have defended the CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA and quite willingly shot at you. So there. </font>[/QUOTE]Ken you would have had to stand in line! :D

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do ya reckon Gunther is feeling the love by now? [​IMG]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With passions this high 140 years after Gettysburg, is it any wonder that it was brother against brother?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been thinking the same thing. I don't think I would want to participate in a re-enactment with Gunther, he might use real bullets. [​IMG]

Or maybe as a learning experience, Gunther should re-enact as a Confederate and I should re-enact as a Yankee. :D

By the way, I appreciate this new forum being set up. [​IMG]

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ignorance is an universal commodity.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I reenact both ways. Confederate and Union, depending on the need.

At the big events (like Gettysburg where there are 8000+) we come as units and join together to fight.

At smaller local events where there are only 100-300 men, it is amazing that the numbers will vary with the location. If we are in Louisiana, we will have 30 Yankees and 300 Confederates.

In Illinois it might be the opposite!

So we come with uniforms and accoutrements to go where needed. And act and talk the role, which ever side I'm on!

13. Clay Knick

Clay Knick New Member

Yes to all three questions!
    I read the book too!

Clay

14. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the movie for the first time last night - thought it was very good. I was especially impressed by the large number of quotes worked into the movie. "It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond it."

[ September 10, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]