1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hazardous Materials.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Why don't yall go search her out and burn her at the stake?

Oh, I'm sorry, that's what the BVT forum is for.:tongue3:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, I know that. But the Bible version in question in her book is the KJV. My comments were about the damage she and others do to the KJV.

Why so picky?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Lying is not a Baptist Distinctive.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I apologize for two double posts, yesterday. Apparently, I have some sort of computer glitch, somehow.

Ed

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You apparently have gender-confusion issues as well Edwina. For all your over-qualifications of ultra-minor points and the dwelling on irrelevant minutiae you refer to me as "Rippon, whoever he or she may be." I've been on the BB for almost 4 years. I am a brother-in-the-Lord. Do obvious things throw you for a loop?

6. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since many seem to believe and repeat the many inaccurate and false claims in her books, it is important that such incorrect information be pointed out. Disagreeing with her inconsistent KJV-only reasoning does not imply a denial of religious liberty.

By the way, some of the Church of England translators were involved in having a man burned at the stake for his beliefs. If you had lived in England in the time of the KJV translators and were a Baptist that practiced his faith, you would find what it was really like to be persecuted and to have no religious liberty.

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

What lie?:sleep:

8. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the lie was referring to the lie that Gail Riplinger is said to have told D. A. Waite and his wife.

(This is from Mrs. Waite- Aug. 2009, Bible for Today Newsletter. )

http://www.bftbc.org/.PDF/BFT/UPDATE/BFTUPDAT.098.pdf?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium =email&utm_campaign=BFT+UPDATE+August+2009

THREE HUSBANDS & TWO DIVORCES
    "...I got up before the microphone and gave an ANNOUNCEMENT of sorts. It was something I felt I had to say. It was difficult for me to do so. A PHONE CALL TO GAIL RIPLINGER In October 2007, I called GAIL RIPLINGER asking her about the rumors that were going around the email world, along with three copies of three marriage licenses. WAS IT TRUE? The e-mail said she had been married three times and divorced twice. I had to know if it were true. So I called Mrs. Riplinger and asked her, "Have you ever had any other husband than Mike Riplinger?" My husband got on the phone, too. She testified to us that day that she had had only one husband. I believed her. My husband believed her. "

. . .

"WE HAVE A PICTURE OF HER AND FRANK ON THEIR WEDDING DAY. That picture proved beyond a shadow of doubt that Mrs. Riplinger had lied to us. IT WAS A SAD DAY FOR ME TO REALIZE WE HAD BEEN DELIBERATELY LIED TO BY GAIL!! "

9. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I'm finding that out right here.

All I did was speak that I know the KJV is better and that belief has been repeatedly attacked.

What is so telling is I don't attack other's desire for their belief and choice of other versions, but everytime I say anything about how I believe I am attacked.

If you are having trouble understanding this lady then go talk to her and not about her.

You're attacking her beliefs. I don't see her talking about you on any forum here or anywhere. You're trying to burn her at the stake of the denial of soul liberty.

What they did in merry old England as they fought against the KJV is in the past so don't dig up bones and try to use it against me. i am American by birth and satnd on the soul liberty to stand on the word of God regardless of what anyone else thinks. I am what many here could choose to call me a fundamentalist who has AnaBaptist roots.

the AnaBaptists of today are mostly what you refer to as "KJVO". Their belief is attacked, yet they do no more than tell why they believe what they do. they are provoked to wrath as many have done me for simply telling others why they believe this.

Wonder who is on whose side? Why do you demand there to be sides? I dont.

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Maybe her view of having only one husband was the Biblical one? The first one still living is the only one until he dies.

Maybe the example you give is nothing but a mere rumor and should be directly addressed to gail? You know, as to put the fire of specualtion out to stop the spread of the wildfire of gossip?

I dont expect it will happen, too many here like to burn people too much.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No gender issues. I just did not recall reading a declaration of your gender before now, from your own posts. That is not to say you have never posted such; just that I do not remember.

FTR, while I always thought you were of the male gender, I didn't choose to assume that in print.

Ed

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your ever-so-keen eye which tries to decern the smallest detail fails you in the most obvious areas.

On 8/7/09 in the thread "A One-woman Wrecking Crew" I had said:"White guys like myself."

I had spoken of meeting J.D. Sumner and wanted him to hear my low voice in the thread "Good Singers From The past Who've Passed."

Multitudes of posters in my nearly four years here have referred to me as Brother Rippon. I would be a deceiver not to have corrected them all these years if I wasn't a man.

Well, aren't you clueless.

To top it all off,we have shared PM's before and I have given you personal information, including my real name. Don't play dumb. You annoy me.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While I may annoy you, it is not intentional. Incidentally, I do not recall noticing the "one woman wrecking crew' thread, and I definitely do not recall reading the thread mentioning J. D. Sumner, whom I also liked to hear sing. Hence I must not have read it, I suspect.

At best, my memory is nothing like as good as good as it was before I had to have carotid surgery some 2 1/2 years ago because of a carotid artery that had more than 95% blockage, and which has adversely affected my memory, unfortunately.

Ed

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Patience Rippon, Patience.

I do agree with you on most points of doctrine but at times you do need to be a little more gracious, as we all do. Sometimes I read past posts of mine and wished I had thought a little more before I typed.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know Dale is a unisex name. You've been around on the BB for a couple of years. You wouldn't mind if someone mistook you for a woman would you?

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Rippon, while that may be annoying, it was not intentional.
    It is not a cause to show a lack of grace to other posters.

Modern forms of written media on the internet are often prone to misunderstanding.
    We can't always tell tone, and with posts usually written very quickly, often have typos and other errors.

I have been out of line many times showing a lack of grace towards other posters. It is something that many of us struggle with.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it was intentional.

What misunderstanding? ES plainly referred to me as whoever he or she may be. There is no misunderstanding. That word "misunderstanding" is employed with too wide of a latitude these days to cover up more serious issues.

My lack of grace? The majority of my post reacting to his outlandish statement was factual and I expressed astonishment that he would ever say such a thing.

It was a stupid thing for him to have said. But it was indeed intentional on his part.

He apologizes for double posts but not for his "misunderstanding". He comes up with the lame:"I just did not recall a declaration of your gender before now."

Considering all his picayune posts which go the distance over trifles -- you'd think he would hold his tongue on what would obviously be considered an insult.

Dale, you are beginning to annoy me now.

18. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gail Riplinger claimed: "James Price showed no loyalty to his NKJV (1982), when he joined the Calvinistic and ecumenical ESV (2001) translation committee" (Hazardous Materials, p. 448).

Dr. James D. Price told me himself that he assisted with the Holman Christian Standard Bible (2004) made by Southern Baptists, not the ESV.

Riplinger is also inconsistent in attacking James Price for working on two translations when she praises Miles Coverdale who worked on three or four different English translations. Miles Coverdale was involved with his 1535 Coverdale's Bible, his 1538 Latin-English New Testament [different textually because it was translated from the Latin Vulgate], the 1539 Great Bible, and the 1560 Geneva Bible. Riplinger also ignores the fact that most of the early English translators were Calvinists, including the majority of the KJV translators.

Riplinger wrote: "Miles Coverdale was the editor of one of the early English Bibles; the words of the Coverdale Bible are still seen in todlay's KJB, particularly in the Old Testament. He was intimately involved in the process of the Bible's being 'given' (2 Tim. 3:16) and 'purified' (Ps. 12:6, 7) in English" (Hazardous Materials, p. 1165).

19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then perhaps you should take a break from this forum. Just a thought.:tongue3:

20. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For one person's review of Riplinger's new book Hazardous Materials, the blogger at Strict and Particular [strictandparticular.blogspot.com/] has been posting his comments about it.